UKC

Iphone in bath

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave the Rave 20 Dec 2015
Hi
My kids dropped her ifone in the bath for probably 10 secs. It is switched off and is now in a bag of rice.
Anyone done this and what are it's chances?
Ta
Jim C 20 Dec 2015
In reply to Dave the Rave:
Might work, worked for my daughter ( meantime) but for best results put it vertically in rice or one of the packs you can buy( the pound shop even does one) longer term it might not be so good.

The chances are most of the water got in the holes for connections so kind of makes sense to stand it upright in the rice or whatever and let gravity help remove the most of it.
Post edited at 13:06
andymac 20 Dec 2015

You may be lucky.

Whilst having slippy hands in the bath I've had a few near things with one of the iPads .

Came back each time
 london_huddy 20 Dec 2015

This stuff is considered pretty amazing: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Reviveaphone-Water-Damaged-Phone-Repair/dp/B008KOYV...

Hope you can revive it.
 abr1966 20 Dec 2015

I dropped my Samsung in to a cup of tea, I stripped it down as much as possible and put it in rice for about 36 hours then suspended it over a radiator for the night. It was ok but was probably submerged for less time! Good luck...
 DerwentDiluted 20 Dec 2015

Done this with the boys phone after a week of him shiftily avoiding telling us. Now works OK.

OP Dave the Rave 20 Dec 2015
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

Thanks. In reality it was about 3 secs. Took the sim out and it's bone dry.
Fingers crossed.
 splat2million 20 Dec 2015

During the thaw after the winter of 2010 I cycled in to a puddle below an underpass which turned out to be about 2ft deep and fell in to the water with my iPhone 3GS in my pocket - it (and most of the rest of me) was submerged for a few seconds - I also did not have any way to dry it off until I got home 15 minutes later so it stayed damp till then.
I turned it off but it kept turning itself on and off for 24hrs until the battery ran completely out, I didn't dare touch it for about another 2 days, but after that it worked again fine (and is still working today) so you may be lucky.
OP Dave the Rave 21 Dec 2015
In reply to splat2million:

For the last hour it's been a living iphone. Thanks guys.
 balmybaldwin 21 Dec 2015

Generally it's not the water that causes problems it's things in it.... e.g. Tea on a keyboard is probably recoverable as long as it doesn't have sugar in it.

Glad to hear it's working OK
 Andypeak 21 Dec 2015

ive heaed if you rinse it out with distilled water it should be ok. Not tried it though.
 gethin_allen 21 Dec 2015
I had to put my phone in the oven on low for a few hours to dry it out after it got soaked while out on the bike. I used a thermometer to set the temperature very accurately to 40 degrees and left it to equilibrate first.
One thing to be aware of; even if if does dry out and work again all warranties will be void so there's no point ever sending it in for warranty repair if something else happens in the future.
They put little stickers around the openings in the phone that change from white to red when they get wet. These don't go white again after drying. So if anyone opens the phone up they will know immediately that it's been dunked and will use that to get out of doing any work, even if the problem is unrelated to the dunking.
 gethin_allen 21 Dec 2015
In reply to andy.smythe:

> ive heaed if you rinse it out with distilled water it should be ok. Not tried it though.

The kits you can buy to recover phones often include isopropanol (probably something like a 80% solution in distilled water) to wash out the crud.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...