UKC

Gluten free bread rolls

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 the sheep 23 Dec 2015
We are having a bbq tomorrow for the family and my sister in law can't eat gluten. I was hoping to make bread rolls to go with it for her but the gluten free flour says you make a batter that you pour into a loaf tin. To be honest this doesn't sound good for making rolls. Has anyone got any tips or experience in this? Cheers 😀
In reply to the sheep:
Is she coeliac or one of those insufferable people with an 'intolerance'? if the former then I' believe rice flour is good, if the latter, just give her a normal roll and tell her it's gluten free.
Post edited at 17:54
 marsbar 23 Dec 2015
In reply to the sheep:

I haven't made rolls, but this looks like it might work. http://mygluten-freekitchen.com/pull-apart-dinner-rolls-gluten-free/
 Neil Williams 23 Dec 2015
In reply to higherclimbingwales:
> Is she coeliac or one of those insufferable people with an 'intolerance'? if the former then I' believe rice flour is good, if the latter, just give her a normal roll and tell her it's gluten free.

No, don't, You might think she is a hypochondriac, but you don't know. Never, ever feed someone something they explicitly said they don't want to eat, and lie about what it is, that is an abuse of trust and is disgraceful behaviour, and if you did it to me I would be very, very angry, whatever it happened to be.
Post edited at 19:13
 Neil Williams 23 Dec 2015
In reply to the sheep:

TBH I'd go to a shop and buy some (e.g. Tesco or any other reasonably sized supermarket). I have tried loads of times and have never managed to home-bake anything even remotely as good as the commercial stuff, particularly Schaer and Genius brands.
 tspoon1981 23 Dec 2015
In reply to the sheep:

The issue with gluten free flour is the fact it sets like cement, so making a thick is batter means you have a vague chance of making something that passes for bread. I have never tried gluten free rolls, but made a fair few gluten free loaves. I'd probably avoid making rolls in all honesty, due to the claggy nature of the flour, and the fact it tastes worse than cardboard.

This might give you a few alternative options
http://empoweredsustenance.com/paleo-hamburger-buns/
 Pbob 23 Dec 2015
In reply to the sheep:

Gluten free bread is generally pretty awful but fresh is much nicer than anything you can buy in tesco. The mixture is generally batter like (but a bit thicker) rather than dough like. I bang a bit of grated cheddar on top. If you can get some fresh seeds in as well that can liven it up. I goes off pretty quickly so I'd leave making it until the last minute.

BTW food intolerances can be pretty unpleasant if you are on the wrong end. I have an 'intolerance' which just gives me bad stomach cramps and the squits. Not like my dad who was diagnosed with Coeliac disease just after being given two weeks to live. Neither are laughing matters.
OP the sheep 23 Dec 2015
Cheers all,

Going to try make my own for stuffing/savoury pudding. If it gives me some insight I will try for rolls. In her defence she has given up on champagne and is bringing gin

In reply to the sheep:

Maybe get some corn tortillas and she could have wraps?
 Neil Williams 24 Dec 2015
In reply to Pbob:

Have you been tested having eaten gluten for a sustained period? Coeliac is often hereditary.
 Neil Williams 24 Dec 2015
In reply to Pbob:

Interesting you say that, as I've found that the more recent shop-bought stuff is heading towards almost being as good as actual bread, while I've never had decent results making it myself.

The best one I've come across recently is the new Schaer white seeded loaf, which is one of the long-life sealed ones but tastes as good as the fresh ones. Very useful as I don't eat that much bread anyway.
 Sharp 24 Dec 2015

> Is she coeliac or one of those insufferable people with an 'intolerance'? if the former then I' believe rice flour is good, if the latter, just give her a normal roll and tell her it's gluten free.

Sounds pretty clear to me, "can't eat gluten". Coeliac is a pretty serious auto-immunte disease and tricking someone into eating gluten when it'll harm them is pretty low. People who are sensitive to gluten but not coeliac may well spent the rest of the evening on the toilet even though it wont do them any serious damage. It sounds like you would get some kind of perverse enjoyment from doing that to someone who was a guest at your house which really you should be embarrased about admitting on a public forum.

I have an intollerence to lactose, it's not a big deal for me but it causes the shits and stomach cramps. It affects about 65% of the globe and 90% of some asian countries and is reasonably race specific. It's purely due to a deficiency of the enzyme lactase which splits lactose into simpler sugars for digestion. Most white people have that enzyme and it leads quite a lot to think that because it doesn't affect them it musn't affect anyone which is an unfortunate part of the human condition. There's nothing about it which is new wave picky eating or remotely deserves the apostrophies. If I drink milk I get the shits and stomach cramps it's as simple as that. I can't for the life of me understand why people get arsey because I avoid eating dairy or why anyone would find me insufferable because of it.
 remus Global Crag Moderator 24 Dec 2015
In reply to the sheep:

I'd echo what Neil said. Shop bought stuff is pretty good these days.

Sainsbury's own brand brown seeded rolls are good if you can get your hands on them. Genius brown seeded loaf is pretty good but can be a bit crumbly, not great if you're trying to do burgers/hotdogs. Sainsbury's own brand white rolls are ok but a bit dense.
I can eat 50 eggs 24 Dec 2015
In reply to Neil Williams:

I'd force feed him something he was intolerant of. Like his own teeth.
In reply to Sharp:
read what I said again.
coeliac is a genuine condition, I know this. Someone claiming to have an intolerance to wheat/gluten is just a fussy so and so who's read some shit somewhere about gluten being evil and they shouldn't be pandered to.

youtube.com/watch?v=Oht9AEq1798&
Post edited at 12:20
 Sharp 24 Dec 2015
It seems I read your post a lot more than you read mine, so probably no need for me to go back to it. In the first paragraph I mentioned both coelic disease and those who are merely sensitive to it. As I said, "can't eat gluten" is pretty clear. It's distinct from (a) someone with an intollerence who can eat gluten but will just feel pain and (b) someone who can eat gluten but chooses not to for perceived health benefits. May I ask what evidence you have that every single person claiming a food intollerence is "just a fussy so and so who's read some shit somewhere about gluten being evil"? (Other than youryoutube video of course)

I don't deny that there's people out there who avoid gluten for perceived health reasons but there are also people whose bodies don't tollerate it well. You clearly are unable to distinguish between the two, perhaps because you have read some shit somewhere about gluten intollerence just being a bunch of people who've just read some shit somewhere as well. It's a shame your post has two likes, too many people just read something funny and blindly believe it these days. Same way people lazily generalise benefits cheats and immigrants.
Post edited at 13:07
 LastBoyScout 24 Dec 2015

Do you feed mince to veggies and tell them it's Quorn, too?
In reply to Sharp:

There's no evidence beyond those claiming (anecdotal) intolerance that such a thing as gluten intolerance exists. You are either truely intolerant (coeliac) or not.
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Only when I've run out of Quorn (other fake meats are available) and can't get to the shop in time.
 The New NickB 24 Dec 2015

You are perhaps not totally up to date on the issue, some studies do exist, I'm sure more will follow.

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/a-balanced-look-at-gluten-sensitivity/

I would deliberately and secretly feed gluten to someone who identifies them self as gluten in sensitive, unless I really didn't like them.
 ScottTalbot 24 Dec 2015

I can eat certain foods containing gluten, but there are certain foods that will give me chronic flatulence, which is not only uncontrollable, but also the worst eye burning stench you've ever smelt. Is my bowel making it up? Am I just jumping on a band wagon, because it's oh so trendy?
If you knew me, you'd know that I couldn't give a rats arse what anyone else thinks, and have absolutely no interest in trying to impress with my intolerance...!?!
It's easy to jump on the latest bandwagon, which incidentally is knocking/dismissing food intolerance, but until you've lived with it, pipe down. ; )
 marsbar 24 Dec 2015
Well the tests say I'm not celiac. So feel free to feed me processed white bread and I will fart in your general direction. (Also your mother was a hamster etc).

For every one person that thinks its fashionable to have a food issue, there are several with IBS who don't have any specific diagnosis, but who would prefer not to have an upset stomach. You don't know what you are talking about but you keep on digging.
 Ian_Cognito 24 Dec 2015

You have no idea what you're talking about.

I am intolerant to 3-4 things, none of them gluten, any of which can give me an upset tummy, ranging from really bad wind to full on diarrhea, often with no warning.

I used to suffer this regularly, until I identified what the triggers were - since I've stopped eating foods containing them, or, at least, cut right down on the amount I was eating, the problem has largely gone away.
 Babika 24 Dec 2015
In reply to ScottTalbot:

My youngest used to say he was allergic to peanuts and I ignored him as his best friend also had an allergy and I thought it was just an attention seeking thing.

Until his windpipe closed up one day and he had to throw up to stop choking.

Now he carries a Jexx and I always believe folk when they say they are allergic/intolerant to something.....
 felt 24 Dec 2015

You're just one of those insufferable people who likes the sound of the word 'insufferable' and is a bit cavalier with its meaning.

And btw, you really don't know what you're talking about. If you'd suffered severe abdominal cramps, aka IBS, for over a decade then eliminated gluten and found that they'd disappeared you'd realise how ridiculous what you're saying is. Still, insufferable is a great word
 EddInaBox 24 Dec 2015
In reply to the sheep:

Anywaaayyyyy, to try to drag this thread back, kicking and screaming, in the general direction of the O.P.... My sister's top tip for making gluten free Yorkshire puddings is to use fizzy water. No idea if it might help with bread rolls though.
OP the sheep 25 Dec 2015
In reply to EddInaBox:

Well the rolls tasted ok, however were rock hard. Still making the effort was appreciated.
 wilkie14c 25 Dec 2015
In reply to the sheep:

Give her normal bread but with raninatide evervessent tablets ground up and dusted on the top
Mrs w is a gluten free and not impressed with any pre made bread, we got a bread maker as it's the only long term solution in terms of future supply, choice and cost.
Maybe the best option for today is ask your guest to bring her own rolls
 Neil Williams 25 Dec 2015
Not pandering to them, i.e. not offering a GF option at all and telling them to sod off, is your prerogative.

Feeding someone something deliberately that you know they do not wish to eat is low. Doesn't matter what it is. It's the same as feeding a veggie meat, a Muslim pork, a Hindu beef or whatever - it is just not on.

Very different.

Neil
Post edited at 11:52
In reply to wilkie14c:

Not yet managed to make anything in a breadmaker GF bread wise that didn't just taste like cake with no sugar in. I think it's the egg.

Neil
In reply to wilkie14c:
Ranitidine is nasty stuff. It makes me depressed - really, it's a listed side effect. I don't agree with it being sold over the counter for that reason - hopefully nobody has done anything they might regret as a result of this.

Omeprazole is much better in terms of avoiding this, I think that is now OTC but pricey.

(I know you're joking )

Neil
Post edited at 11:58
 SouthernSteve 26 Dec 2015
In reply:
Re: ranitidine/omeprazole
Taking antacids has been suggested as having a role in increased food allergy/intolerance as food is not 'processed' in the stomach in a suitably acid environment. It certainly won't help in most immunological reactions to food.
 Neil Williams 26 Dec 2015
In reply to SouthernSteve:

It can also mask allergies. I took it for ages, until I realised the cause of my heartburn (bad enough to keep me awake at night) was gluten. No gluten, no heartburn. Gone.

I think doctors should suggest this more, and be more ready to do coeliac tests etc. I worked it out some 5 years after the problem started. All the doctor was interested in was prescribing pills.

After a viral infection some years later my sister developed the same problem. Same solution. (It is known to be hereditary with similar triggers).
 d_b 28 Dec 2015
In reply to the sheep:

It's not rolls, but the sainsburies free from seeded bread is about the only one I have encountered that is actually edible without toasting.

Not gluten free myself, but have relatives who are.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...