UKC

Son wants to replace the motherboard in his PC - good/bad idea?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 24 Dec 2015
A couple of years ago we got my son (now 11) a basic desktop PC running Ubuntu. He uses it about 90% for playing minecraft on, as is the way of kids of that age these days! He does use if for homework and such also though. It has been running more slowly recently - we've done the obvious things like virus checks and running the software updater to get latest versions of things, but still he says its not working as well as it used to. He wants for Xmas to get a new motherboard for it, and seems to have been doing lots of research on Amazon and elsewhere, coming up with a likely candidate. In years gone by I added new memory to old PCs and things like that so have opened up a computer and unclipped a few bits, slotted new bits in etc., but I don't think I ever did a motherboard.

So for you technical minded folk out there, is it likely to be as easy an upgrade as just taking out the old motherboard, putting in the new one, then turning the computer back on? And can he expect the computer to work more smoothly and reliably during epic minecraft sessions as a result? It's beyond my very limited computer fiddling skills, so if it doesn't work that easily I know he'll be really disappointed and I'll not be able to do anything to help. Since moving I no longer have an IT engineer as a friend and neighbour so no one to ask about these things! Any tips gratefully received.

Merry Xmas all.
 DancingOnRock 24 Dec 2015
In reply to TobyA:
Buy a new hard drive and do a fresh install first. Keep the old drive as a backup. PCs just get slower and slower as the software 'clogs' up. If the drive is filling up a new motherboard won't speed up much.

Swapping MBs is simple. Assuming you get a populated one with processor and ram already fitted, the form factor is the same and the power supply has the right connectors. Which if it's only two years old shouldn't be a problem.
Post edited at 21:52
 John2 24 Dec 2015
In reply to TobyA:

I have replaced a motherboard myself - the new one should come with reasonable instructions, but even so a little common sense will probably be required. When you say new motherboard do you mean new CPU and memory as well? One thing to be wary of is that if you're upgrading too many components you may need to upgrade the power supply as well.

If he used to be happy with the performance of his present PC it might be better to try to find out why it's no longer performing as well as it used to - it would be a shame to put in a new motherboard then find that it's hamstrung by whatever has impeded the performance of the present motherboard.
 Gaijin 24 Dec 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Tut tut. Kids and computers!

Don't do it. Motherboards are down the list when it comes to upgrading a pcs performance.

You can pickup a good laptop for real cheap these days, especially if he isn't challenging the thing with anything more than minecraft.
 illepo 24 Dec 2015
In reply to TobyA:

New motherboard will require a fresh install, so bear that in mind. As will new cpu. Side note, ensure if you have multiple cpus make sure they're turned on. For some reason my mb defaults to using only 2 of 6 cpus, then remaining 4 having to be activated after resets etc.

Check out your ram usage with ctrl alt del. If you're using most of it then additional ram will help. There will be a limit to how much ram your current mb can handle.

Best bet however is to limit background programs etc. Most easily achieved with a fresh install.

Check out solid hard drives btw. I have my main system run off that, then any files, movies etc all saved to a traditional hdd.

Maplins used to, if not still do good cpu/mb bundles. Time it right and you'll get an excellent deal.

Finally, if he's finding the computer slow when playing games etc, minecraft, then a dedicated gpu/graphics card will help. There are rankings somewhere that will tell you the best value components ie specs vs cost.
 FreshSlate 25 Dec 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Hello Toby,

What are the computers specifications?

Processor
Mobo
Ram
Hardrive
Power supply
Graphics card

It's not the motherboard causing the computer to be slow, although a new motherboard may be a part of the solution. If you provide the specifications then we can see any potential bottlenecks or areas for improvement. Also is it slow specifically when he's playing minecraft? does he have lots of programs open, does shutting these down help? Or is it just generally slow?
Removed User 25 Dec 2015
In reply to DancingOnRock:
> Buy a new hard drive and do a fresh install first. Keep the old drive as a backup. PCs just get slower and slower as the software 'clogs' up. If the drive is filling up a new motherboard won't speed up much.

Why buy a new hard drive? Just format the current and reinstall Ubuntu on that. Same result. He won't have anything on there that needs backing up, he's an 11 year old.

Changing the mobo won't speed up the machine one bit.
Post edited at 01:52
In reply to TobyA:
New mobo wont make any difference.

I build my own pcs at home; replacing a mobo isnt trivial unless you know what youre doing. Its the thing that everything else plugs into and needs to be compatible with everything else.

That said, you could turn this into a great father/son project and acquire some new skills. Why not source components online and build a new one from scratch. You could build a decent one with new parts if you are happy with older components. Ive just built a high spec box for about £650 excl monitor but you wouldnt need that level of performance. Refurb/second user parts will be cheaper still but you run the risk of getting bad kit.

Theres something very rewarding abour pressing the power button and everything whirring into life when youve built it yourself.

The things you need are:

Case, usually standard atx plus one or two case fans
Motherboard
Cpu, get the best you can afford
Cpu fan, although some chips come with basic ones included and dont forget decent thermal paste which isnt costly
Memory, really cheap these days and go for 4gb plus
Power supply, modular are best to keep the case tidy but tend to be slighly more expensive
Graphics card, may not be needed as many mobo have it onboard
Sound card, see above re graphics
Hard drive, i have 2x 1tb drives plus solid state drives for os and boot. Its not necessary but once youve made the jump you won go back
Optical drive for cds/dvds
Operating system of choice

Ebuyer is a good place for bits and there are loads of pc building guides online.
Post edited at 06:14
 DancingOnRock 25 Dec 2015
In reply to Removed User:

Ha. Do you have an 11 year old son? He'll have thousands of worlds saved.

Besides if the 'project' goes wrong or takes longer, you just put the old HD back in.
OP TobyA 25 Dec 2015
In reply to FreshSlate:

> If you provide the specifications then we can see any potential bottlenecks or areas for improvement.

Thanks! We are at the grandparents currently, but I'll check that when we get home.

Merry Christmas everyone. And thanks for the advice.
 Scarab9 25 Dec 2015
In reply to TobyA:

It would be the last think I'd upgrade for a slowing computer (ram then HD ) and often due to comparability issues it can end up cheaper and easier to get a new computer rather than just replace the MB.
In reply to TobyA:
If he's been actively researching motherboards then he should be encouraged to buy one and install it, not because it will make the PC faster but because going through the whole cycle of specifying what he wants, installing it, figuring out why it doesn't work and finally seeing it go faster (or not) will be a great learning experience and a lot of fun.
Post edited at 11:49
 AMorris 25 Dec 2015
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

I would have to fundementally disagree with you that going to the effort of repurchasing any major piece of hardware, installing it and finding out that it either doesn't work or doesn't make a difference is 'a lot of fun'! That will be a stressful and disappointing ordeal. OP, I would suggest posting the specs of the PC so we can have a look to see if there are any obvious bottlenecks, as others have suggested.
In reply to AMorris:

> I would have to fundementally disagree with you that going to the effort of repurchasing any major piece of hardware, installing it and finding out that it either doesn't work or doesn't make a difference is 'a lot of fun'!

As a teenager I designed and assembled an Intel 8080 microcomputer from scratch. It never really worked that well which is not surprising with a thousand hand soldered point to point wires but I learned a lot, had a lot of fun and went on to study electronics and computer science.

Kids that are interested in specifying motherboards and installing them themselves should be encouraged!

Mr Lopez 25 Dec 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Post the full specs here and you'll get more informed opinions on how to speed it up. A clean install is a good starting point, but then everything else will depend on what's already on it, and ultmately the motherboard may come into it if the one fitted don't support meaningful upgrades.

Motherboard permitting, a clean install, faster and bigger RAM, an SSD drive, and a better performance graphics card should give more measurable benefits than just a new motherboard with the old components on it.
OP TobyA 25 Dec 2015
In reply to all: Thank you all for your Xmas morning contributions! It's very kind of you all and much appreciated. When we get home in a few days we will check the specs and add them here.

Brass Nipples 25 Dec 2015
In reply to TobyA:

A new motherboard isn't going to be as straightforward as he thinks, and isn't going to provide a speed up. Yousay he'll get frustrated if it doesn't solve his problem, so I'd suggest you don't go down this route. If he's want to build a PC, then make that a seperate project, so he can still play mine craft meanwhile; when he gets frustrated with the build process and inevitable gotchas.

On the current PC what version of Ubuntu are you using and is it 64 bit or 32 bit?

In reply to TobyA:
I'd agree with a few posters about letting him loose on a PC if he's keen.

You could spec a new machine from scratch and order all the parts if the current machine isn't upgradable.

Anyway, at this point in time all that is academic. I'm sure you can pick up a hard drive for under £50 and it's an easy swap out.
Post edited at 19:11
OP TobyA 25 Dec 2015
In reply to DancingOnRock:

That's interesting as the motherboard he was looking at was 80, so less money and more likely to make things work better sounds great!
In reply to TobyA:
You can never have too many hard drives either.

Also as suggested look at solid state drive to boot from and keep the other for data etc.
Post edited at 19:27
 spenser 25 Dec 2015
In reply to TobyA:
Building a computer is pretty much playing with expensive Lego.
From my experience if he is not overclocking any of the components, using multiple graphics cards, setting up RAID arrays or using lots of peripherals (dedicated sound card, wireless card or additional USB ports) any motherboard which has the correct processor socket, PCI-E socket (for the graphics card) and RAM sockets and is the right size to fit in the case will perform much the same for his need. This said replacing a motherboard is a fairly big job as far as replacing components goes as you have to take everything off the old motherboard, remove the motherboard from the case, fit processor and heatsink to new motherboard, fit new motherboard in the case, fit the rest of the components and plug in the various power supply cables and then hope it turns on without any issues. I had to do this a couple of months ago, it was quite easy to do and the whole process lasted about 2.5 hours, the most difficult bit was fitting the heatsink to the processor.
Depending on the original manufacturer of the computer the case may not accommodate one of the standard form factor motherboards, particularly if it is one of the small form factor computers.
 FreshSlate 27 Dec 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Sure no problem! Once we have the specs we can diagnose!

Cheers.
 itsThere 27 Dec 2015
In reply to TobyA:

As you explore a minecraft map it generates new terrain, the map files get so large that your hardware can't cope. It may not be the hardware but just his maps are getting so large it's impacting performance.
OP TobyA 27 Dec 2015
In reply to itsThere:

Interesting. For technically able minecrafters, is there a way to deal with this? Do you delete some cache or something?
 itsThere 27 Dec 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Sort of, there is a limit to how much of the map is drawn/replaced with fog but it's still a problem in mine craft, more so than other games. There are many in game and external factors. E.g. 100MB map file on a fragmented slow hdd won't run optimally.

If he is hosting his own server and letting friends play on it then there is a limit to the no. of players and where they are on the map for what his pc can handle.

You could try doing a Google search of his mine craft I'd/name to see if he has been on any pc forums for advice on upgrading. As others say a motherboard is low on the list or he has bigger plans starting with a motherboard. It's going to be a good learning experience anyway.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...