UKC

Petzl Trigrest

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Has anyone tried using the Trigrest on Black Diamong Cobras? The pinkie rest is just that ...pinkie!(or forefinger)My Fusion2's have a much better high hold but for pure ice I prefer the Cobras.The new Viper has a similar Flicklock but it doesn't adapt to the Cobra.Any thoughts?
 Mountain Llama 01 Jan 2016
In reply to Jones the teeth:

grivel trigger? http://www.needlesports.com/1369/products/grivel-trigger.aspx

needlesports have a compatibility chart somewhere, can't seem to find it, maybe someone could help?

cheers Davey
 nufkin 01 Jan 2016

Wouldn't the sort of flared shaft of the cobras mean the trigrest wouldn't stay in place?
In reply to nufkin:

That is a concern £30.00 is a bit much for an experiment that may fail hopelessly! That's why I've been training using my straight alpine axes !!!!
In reply to Mountain Llama:

Thanks for the link The Petzl feels more comfortable than the Grovel though
 TeeBee 01 Jan 2016

I'll check with mine and let you know, if I can remember where I left the trigrests I got for bodging an old DMM axe.
 Mountain Llama 02 Jan 2016

on reflection you need to be careful about clamping anything round the axe handle due to the carbon fibre outer may be damaged.

I assume the cobras have the same alloy insert in the handle as per the vipers?

I have the vipers and have considered using the 2 Allen key bolts for the strike to secure a trigger. This arrangement also has to keep the strike secure but nothing but ideas at present.

Or you could fashion one using the mouldable epoxy stuff.

Davey

Have thought of moulding a rest but use the Strike as intended at the moment .Not sure of exact construction of Cobras but certainly would not like to damage my pride and joy ! Just want to make that higher hold more comfortable .
 TeeBee 06 Jan 2016

It turns out you can push the trigrest on to the cobra's shaft, but the shape's just to different for it to stay in place. Possibly a bit of inner-tube wrapped around would sort things out, but I don't think it'd be reliable. You'd probably be better getting some Sugru and adapting the original cobra rest to suit your hand better.
 CurlyStevo 06 Jan 2016

Have you tried adding amulgamating tape around the shaft to increase friction?
In reply to TeeBee:

Thanks Is this Sugru some kind of self curing epoxy?
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Its not a friction issue Its just to make the Strike more comfortable as a higher hold Get that tape from B and Q .....cheaper than elsewhere
 CurlyStevo 07 Jan 2016

sure but having a grip that is actually grippy rather than slippery makes the upper grip hold more effective so the Strike being less prominent matters less. I have the gold vipers btw.

IMHO you may as well at least try this first as it's incredibly cheap, easy to reverse and effective.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/self-amalgamating-rubber-tape-black-19mm-x-10m/87...
 TeeBee 07 Jan 2016

> Thanks Is this Sugru some kind of self curing epoxy?

Yes, it's a mouldable silicone putty that sets when exposed to air. It's quite handy, though it's a shame it doesn't have a longer shelf life - it really doesn't work once it's just a bit past it's use-by date:

https://www.sugru.co.uk/about

In reply to CurlyStevo:

Thanks for the tip! I hadn't thought of that ....what a donut ! And its there on my Fusion2 which is why they feel more comfortable !
In reply to TeeBee:

Yes found their website .Will take some putty from work to take a mould of the Fusion 2 handle and then hopefully fashion something similar with the Sugru.
In reply to TeeBee:

Have now moulded Sugru to the Cobra and it feels a lot more comfortable Cured in airing cupboard
Real test in two weeks when I'm Norway bound

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...