UKC

Amazon con

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 fmck 04 Jan 2016
Bought my kid a Amazon Fire for Christmas. I set it up with my email address and stupidly didn't read their contents. The kids now have free access to buy games even though I haven't set this up. Does anyone know how to stop this.

The only notify I get is an invoice after. Do I need cancel my account?
 tspoon1981 04 Jan 2016
In reply to fmck:

Are you sure they're not just downloading free games? Mine is also set up with an email, but without any payment options. I can still download certain free apps and games, I also receive an email invoice even though I am not actually buying anything or being billed.
OP fmck 04 Jan 2016
In reply to tspoon1981:

No. It started with free invoices. Now had 99p and £1.19 tonight alone. It seems to start with free ones and now small amounts. I just wonder how much it could escalate. I do believe this is through design and is very misleading.
 David Barlow 04 Jan 2016
In reply to fmck:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/132127-how-to-setup-an-amazon-kindle-for-ch... covers general Kindle account settings; hopefully some of this is relevant for Fires.
 tspoon1981 04 Jan 2016
In reply to fmck:

I just tried to buy a game and received a purchase failure message and told to update my payment details on amazon. If you go to settings you can turn the parental controls on, which restricts purchasing and content.
OP fmck 04 Jan 2016
In reply to tspoon1981:

Thanks, will try this. Cheeky b#####ds.

Second hand cars is no longer the way to go!
 Phil79 05 Jan 2016
In reply to fmck:

Its it a Kindle Fire Kids Edition, or just a standard Fire? With the Kids Edition they are preset so kids can't purchase stuff or use in app purchases without a passwords.

There is a similar feature on the normal Fire tablets (Look for a 'Fire for Kids' logo) which runs the kindle in restricted mode and lets you determine what apps/games they have, and prevents internet access. A password is required to exit the Fire for Kids mode, so they can't bypass the settings.

If you don't want to do the above, you can leave the the fire in its 'regular' mode, and switch on the 'parental controls' (go to settings>parental controls, enter a password), which again prevents them purchasing stuff and using the internet.

You may have to restrict the 'in app' purchasing separately. Go to Appstore>settings, and click to restrict the 'in app purchasing'.

Check the amazon help pages, it does tell you how to do this, but can be a little hard to find.
Removed User 05 Jan 2016
In reply to fmck:

> I do believe this is through design and is very misleading.

Didn't you say in your OP that you signed up without reading what you were doing? Hard to see how you can criticize when you're at fault here..
 Scarab9 05 Jan 2016
In reply to fmck:

My girlfriend got her kids one and had similar problems. It is possible to allow access to child friendly and fee stuff while blocking payments and age rated stuff....but it's not obvious how to do it!

You then have further issues doing the same with Prime but it can be done.

Agreed its a deliberate con that they make it so difficult

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...