UKC

VIDEO: UKC & Plas-y-Brenin: #9 Clove Hitches

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 11 Jan 2016
Instructional Videos 9 - Clove Hitches, 4 kbIn this series on UKClimbing, we have teamed up with Plas-y-Brenin, the National Mountain Sports Centre, to cover a wide range of basic climbing techniques.. We will be explaining everything from putting on harnesses and tying figure of eights, to building belays and leading.

Read more
In reply to UKC Articles:

Superbly clear, concise piece of instruction, done in just one minute.
 Greasy Prusiks 11 Jan 2016

Great demo, quick and clear. Maybe more of the same for Prusik knots, Italian hitch, ect?
 Martin Hore 11 Jan 2016

I've been critical of some of these videos in the past, but this one is spot on.

Martin
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 11 Jan 2016

Clove Hitch video 2 to include tying a clove hitch one handed so you can clip the belay without weighting it (not sure why you would do this but is something we learnt years ago), and extending a clove hitch by taking the loops with you so you can easily adjust the belay even though you can't reach it?

Chris
 kristian Global Crag Moderator 11 Jan 2016

Can't find a video link for this but the method I like to use is super fast and can be done when there is a bit of load in the rope such as haul bags and rope drag. It can be done mid haul and dropped directly into the crab.
Grab the rope with your hands crossed i.e left over right and cross them to right over left, done in the blink of an eye.
As clear as mud??
 jezb1 11 Jan 2016
In reply to kristian:

That's how I teach clove hitches to clients
 Rick Graham 11 Jan 2016
In reply to kristian:
> Can't find a video link for this but the method I like to use is super fast and can be done when there is a bit of load in the rope such as haul bags and rope drag. It can be done mid haul and dropped directly into the crab.

> Grab the rope with your hands crossed i.e left over right and cross them to right over left, done in the blink of an eye.

> As clear as mud??

Yes, clove hitches are always best tied quickly and one handed

Also the load is best on the hitch nearer the back of the krab.
Post edited at 18:50
In reply to Chris Craggs:

> Clove Hitch video 2 to include tying a clove hitch one handed

Twist, clip
Twist, clip

Clove hitch formed...

Twist: hold rope between finger and thumb. Move thumb towards hand, which creates a loop.
Clip: clip this loop to the krab.
Repeat, on the same end of the rope in which you made the first loop (live end, or dead end, doesn't matter, as long as you use the same end for both loops).

I find this easier and more reliable than forming two loops, and having to remember which loop I have to put over or under.

Italian/Munter hitch:

Clip
Twist, Clip
 Valkyrie1968 11 Jan 2016

Cool video, but where can I buy one of these? I can't seem to find them online anywhere on e.g. Needle Sports and Rock + Run etc.
 jon 11 Jan 2016
In reply to Valkyrie1968:

> Cool video, but where can I buy one of these?

Outside have probably still got a few left handed DMM ones. They were clean out of right handed ones when I last looked.

I usually clove hitch by clipping first (so I'm on belay) and then adding the twist.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...