UKC

Given the forecast, what are the chances of ice in the lakes...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 neilwiltshire 12 Jan 2016

... this weekend.

I'm hoping for a learned reply here from people more experienced than me and who know more about what it takes to form ice.

No UKC sledging please.

Will it be a climbing or winter walking weekend in the Lakes?

I'd like to hit Great End, but if its not in, I'll probably just go for a walk somewhere else.
Post edited at 12:42
 somethingelse 12 Jan 2016
In reply to neilwiltshire:

walked in to custs gully on great end on friday 8th jan and there was surprisingly little snow in the gully. loose rock and dripping wet chockstone/rocksteps meant we turned round under the rock arch. a little ice beginning to form here and there but certainly nothing that could be climbed on. we walked on up to the summit of scafell pike and the snow improved with height but again didn't see any real signs of climbable ice developing. if there were climbable ice routes in the gullies come this weekend i wouldn't expect them to be well developed, but i could be wrong, and i'm certainly not 'learned' in these things. thought id share my observations/thoughts in any case.
OP neilwiltshire 12 Jan 2016
In reply to somethingelse:
Thanks very much, I appreciate your input.
Post edited at 15:44
 blackcat 12 Jan 2016
All i can suggest is you go and take a look,you may get lucky and find some if not you can still have a good day out.
Post edited at 16:29
 CurlyStevo 12 Jan 2016

this site can be useful http://www.lakedistrictweatherline.co.uk/
 CurlyStevo 12 Jan 2016
By the sounds of it the gullies won't be in, unlikely ice will have formed in quantity and most the turf will be insulated by deep snow so not frozen. The best options are a snowed up rock route (like pinnacle ridge) or try and find a mixed climb which has been scoured by wind giving the turf a chance to freeze (although I remain sceptical you'll really find this in nick, but hey maybe)
Post edited at 17:14

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...