UKC

Transvulcania

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alastairmac 13 Jan 2016
I've got a place to run in the Transvulcania on May 7th this year. I was wondering if anybody posting on the forum has recent experience of this race. Specifically tips on the cheapest and most direct flight arrangements from the UK ( ideally northern airports). There actually don't seem to be any direct flights to La Palma from the UK. Although there are plenty via Madrid or connections via the main Canaries airport ( possibly the best option?) . I'd also be interested in suggestions about how far in advance of the race it's sensible to get to the island, to acclimatise to the temperature etc. Any recommendations on accommodation or any other useful information would be much appreciated. Thanks in anticipation.
 fimm 13 Jan 2016
In reply to alastairmac:
My other half did it in 2012. Here's his race report:
http://www.dzfitness.co.uk/race-report-transvulcania2014/

We flew from Edinburgh via Tenerife. The disadvantage of doing it this way is that you fly in to the southern airport and out of the northern one. On the way out this meant that we had to stay overnight on Tenerife - I think we stayed in La Laguna; we had a nice place to stay but I don't have a link for that. Others flew via Gran Canaria I think.

On La Palma we stayed here: http://www.fincaprimavera.de/homeenglisch.htm which was lovely, I'd recommend it. You'll need a hire car, and they sorted one out for us. Definitely stay as long as you can - it is an amazing place and if you are going all that way you should make some time to explore.

Do ask if you'd like to know any more!
Post edited at 11:24
OP alastairmac 13 Jan 2016
In reply to fimm:

Thanks fimm. That's really helpful. I might give you a shout as suggested if I need any more detail. Thanks again.
 bdgm 13 Jan 2016
In reply to alastairmac:

There are direct flights but only two per week, with Thomson. One flight from Manchester and one from London. Brett
 fimm 14 Jan 2016
In reply to alastairmac:

No problem. I'm a bit of an occasional visitor to UKC these days, so if I don't seem to be responding, do email me through my profile.
In reply to alastairmac:

Hi Alastair

There appears to be quite a few Brits heading over there this year to compete in Transvulcania.

If you're on Facebook there's a group just for the 2016 race where Brits are swapping great beta and getting to know each other prior to the race!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/transvulcania2016/

Hope this helps and good luck with the training.

Dave D.
OP alastairmac 17 Feb 2016
In reply to Dave Douglas - Awesome Walls:

Thanks Dave. That's really helpful. I'll check that out.
 Tall Clare 17 Feb 2016
In reply to alastairmac:

My friend is doing it and, after scratching her head for a bit, decided the best method was to book a week long package holiday.

P.s. good luck - she showed me the race's altitude profile and I think you're all mad...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...