UKC

Computing question. Windows.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
0Unknown0 15 Jan 2016
Hi,

So I have another random question for the community that know it all.

I have to buy a new computer, I am starting up my own remote call centre as all other efforts to get into employment have left me continuously coming up empty handed. And the new year, and so have to make new strides in a positive direction to create something for myself.

And so part of the requirements I will need is either Windows 7 or Windows XP Service 3 pack.
I have been looking around at desktops and nothing has Windows XP or 7 already installed on it. Infact most have Windows 8 which is not compatible with the portal I need to use to work. And so my question is about changing this operating system. I see there are free downloads on the internet, but I am not so sure about being confident in these. 'When I was a lad', we used to have to download operating systems from CDs. I know all this has moved on alot over the last 20 odd years since I ever did anything like this and so I'd like some advice on this. You can talk as though I am utterly ignorant in this, as I am, and so easy speak is best for me.

Over the years I have just bought laptops and used whatever was already on them and so my understanding of the importance or ease and cost of setting all this up is none existent, so maybe I should mention the other things required.

Basics computer;
RAM 4 gigabytes
Hard disk 250 GB SATA II
CPU Unit Dual Core 1.6 GHz

I also need;
Internet explorer 7 or 8
Java 5.0 Update 1
Adobe Acrobat reader.

Can I buy this cheaply. There are some reconditioned Acer computers from Tesco on ebay (XC-215 4GB 1TB) I was looking at this, but again it has Windows 8. I would need to change this, and leads me back to the start of my inquiry.

I know, some of you are wondering what the hell I am doing asking such questions on a climbing forum. Well, over the years you have never let me down on alsorts of random stuff, and so why look elsewhere. Also going into a techy forum they would lose me within the first sentence of advice.

In reply to Dominicandave:

Are you really certain this is what you need and not a 'must be at least' specification from a good few years ago?

You can probably get this ancient stuff but it will bring you nothing but pain and inconvenience compared with buying a new one.
0Unknown0 15 Jan 2016
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

Thanks for the reply.

This is the general minimum requirements.

1 GHz Dual Core Processor
Operating System Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1*
Windows Vista (UK only) and Mac OSX may be supported for a
limited set of opportunities.
Memory Windows 7: 2 GB of RAM
Windows 8/8.1: 2 GB of RAM
Monitor 1280 x 1024 (SXGA) screen resolution
1920 x 1080 (Full HD or 1080p) is recommended

What I wrote were the recommended requirements but are from 2010 and US requirements.

I am happy to buy a new computer if this is what is required, but I have no idea what much of this stuff means to be honest. And thankfully once set up I should not have much need to know. But if you can explain why it will bring me pain and inconvenience I'd like to understand. And what you thin may be alternative preference maybe.
Andy Gamisou 15 Jan 2016

Plenty of stuff on ebay with W7 if you *really* need it.
 Rob Parsons 15 Jan 2016

If you point people to the official documentation which describes the software (and hardware?) you need to use, then perhaps you'll get more help. As it is, we're shooting in the dark.
 Dark-Cloud 15 Jan 2016

You could just buy a decent modern PC an use VMWare workstation to run your legacy stuff, i wouldn't buy a PC with less than 16GB of RAM in it nowadays....
0Unknown0 15 Jan 2016
In reply to Rob Parsons:

The company is Arise. I've been warned but I have few options left and so willing to give it a go.

Here is the PDF.

http://wccomputersolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Workstation_Requi...
 GrantM 15 Jan 2016

Looks like Win 8 is OK then, also Windows 10 programs can be run in compatibility mode - this would allow a Windows XP/7/8 program to run on Windows 10 (in theory).
0Unknown0 15 Jan 2016
In reply to GrantM:
It mentioned somewhere that Windows 8 might not be compatible with some clients, but maybe that is outdated. So what kind of a buy am I looking at. Baring in mind this computer will be used ONLY for work. I have my laptop and tablet for mucking about with other stuff. There are bundles on the ebay for £239, like the one I mentioned above, the ACER XC-215 4GB 1TB reconditioned.
What would others buy in the same situation?
Post edited at 15:41

> What would others buy in the same situation?

If it was me the first thing I'd do would be try the software on your laptop assuming the laptop is a fairly new one.

If it works fine on the laptop and you want a separate work computer then buy a new Windows 10 machine with a reasonable spec so it'll be good for a few years. Only if it doesn't work and you can't figure out why look at buying an obsolete system off e-bay.

BigBrother 15 Jan 2016
In reply to Dominicandave: Reading the specs it sounds as if they want you to have a pc that does nothing but run their client for security reasons. They even say you can't use email, social media, cd drives etc. They also explicitly state that pirated software cannot be used.

On such a shutdown system that is only running their software XP may be fine and it will be a waste to buy a new higher spec system that you won't be allowed to use for anything. It sounds as if you need a pc that meets their spec that is only used for that purpose and another laptop etc for your personal use.

Your location isn't clear on your profile but I assume you are in the UK? My father replaced his pc a while ago and that would meet the spec. I also have a fully legal XP retail licence that I could install on it. Let me know if you are interested and I will find out some more details and a price.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...