UKC

Being Called to the Bar

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 20 Jan 2016

Serious, if odd, question. A very close friend will, in about six months, be Called to the Bar. His field is family law and I understand that, in court, family law barristers do not wear the formal regalia of wig, gown etc.

Notwithstanding, does anyone know if he will still need such items - such as for ceremonial use? I don't want to ask him because if he needs them I was going to buy them for him as a gift.

Thanks to anyone who can help.
Post edited at 19:56
 Brass Nipples 20 Jan 2016
In reply to mypyrex:

I thought you were going to get a UKC round in for a moment.
 BusyLizzie 20 Jan 2016
In reply to mypyrex:

He'll need them for actually being called to the bar, and I think most barristers have them. Check he hasn't already got them before you buy (some baby barristers are awarded a grant for their purchase, I think). (I'm not a barrister).
OP mypyrex 20 Jan 2016
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Thanks. I was under the impression that they only wore the robe and stiff collar for the Call but I may be wrong. If he already has a robe(he's a solicitor at the moment) I was going to buy the wig.
 toad 20 Jan 2016
In reply to mypyrex:

definitely a barrister and not a solicitor with Higher Rights?
OP mypyrex 20 Jan 2016
In reply to toad:

Barrister
 gazhbo 20 Jan 2016
In reply to mypyrex:

The reason that most family law proceedings don't require barristers to be robed are that the proceedings are private. Some hearings do take place in open court, for example, hearings at which final adoption orders are made. He will need robes and a silly wig for those sort of hearings.
OP mypyrex 20 Jan 2016
In reply to gazhbo:

> He will need robes and a wig for those sort of hearings.

That's sorted

Greenbanks 20 Jan 2016
In reply to mypyrex:

> I was going to buy the wig<
I presume you're well set? That'll cost you an arm and a leg - unless you nick one, which would lend a perverse style to the proceedings

Jim C 20 Jan 2016
In reply to Greenbanks:

> I presume you're well set? That'll cost you an arm and a leg - unless you nick one, which would lend a perverse style to the proceedings

Barristers are well paid, let him buy the gear himself he will be able to afford it. ( and if he buys it it will be a tax deduction)

Buy him a beer, and raise a toast to his success.
 BusyLizzie 21 Jan 2016
In reply to mypyrex:
Ah - vital point - a solicitor's gown is different from a barrister's, and a barrister would not wear a solicitor's robe even if his life depended on doing so!!!

NB the cost of each (wig, gown) is eye-watering, and I 'd echo Jim C's point.
OP mypyrex 21 Jan 2016
In reply to BusyLizzie & Jim C:

Thanks for comments. Found out last night that there is a difference in the robes. Wigs seem to be circa £400 but as he is somebody VERY special in our family circle I'm prepared to shell out for one for him.

OP mypyrex 21 Jan 2016
As a point of interest apparently new barristers try to get a used wig so that they (the wig and the barrister)don't look too new
 marsbar 21 Jan 2016
In reply to gazhbo:

I thought it was to make proceedings more child friendly and less scary?
 RockSteady 22 Jan 2016
In reply to mypyrex:

I seem to remember the Inn of Court that calls you provides the gown - they have loads of them. You don't wear the wig to be called.

Usually you must own a wig and gown though to practice, as if you went into some of the higher courts (Court of Appeal etc) you'd have to wear one. So still a very nice gift. Ede & Ravenscroft is the place to buy a wig. Although a lot of people buy second-hand wigs as a bright white fresh wig gives the game away that you're a newbie and might incline the other side to treat you with less respect.
OP mypyrex 22 Jan 2016
In reply to RockSteady:

>Although a lot of people buy second-hand wigs as a bright white fresh wig gives the game away that you're a newbie and might incline the other side to treat you with less respect.

Thanks for the comment. I think he's going to go for a second hand one for that reason

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...