UKC

Further to: HELP! I just started dating a climber...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
notaclimber2 22 Jan 2016
You guys are gonna love this!

For anyone who didn't see the original thread its here:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=631762&v=1#

So, we have been managing to find time to spend together, rather than evening dinners, which are usually out because she is either working at the local wall or climbing on it, we have found a kinda non-traditional dating sort of way to see each other - visits to the shops, lunches, the odd swim / walk together etc - while still allowing her the time to do the climbing related activities and other thing she has going on in her life and for me to play with cameras and run my businesses.

She went off for a weekend, exploring a new climbing area, so I got my first taste of what it would be like to see a girl you care for going off with a bunch of super fit guys into a remote area and it was OK, I missed her of course, but still felt very secure.

Anyway, she had to go to Singapore to visit a competition and a supplier and see a few climbing centres so I offered to go with her. So am am writing this from a hotel in Singapore - she has just popped off for a meeting with the supplier guy.

The meat of this story, is that yesterday she took me to a wall and I learned how to belay and I actually climbed! She tells me I made about 3m on a 4 route - I think I had my eyes closed most of the time lol (j/k). I totally loved the experience of doing it and am definitely gonna pursue this a little and see how it goes. I also loved being around the people at the competition and the wall, it was a real fun environment with lots of lovely people.

I managed to make it up to about 3m 4 times, but I could not get much higher than I did because I discovered I had trust issues with the belay - oddly the climbing up was nowhere near as difficult as I thought it was going to be, but it took every fibre of strength in my psyche to actually let go and fall back into the harness, trusting that my belay would all work out as it should!

So, some work to do, but I think I just found a new hobby/sport.

Just wanted to update you, since you were all so kind to help me out originally.

JoeyTheFish 22 Jan 2016
In reply to notaclimber2:

Great news!

Whoever wrote "Your girlfriend is more badass than you. Start rock climbing" on the last thread had more sense than you knew!
Andy Gamisou 22 Jan 2016

Nice!
 Andy Hardy 22 Jan 2016

Welcome to the lodge, brother.
 JamButty 22 Jan 2016

Its all downhill from here.....

Oldsign 22 Jan 2016

You're going to need a new username
 bouldery bits 22 Jan 2016

Practice falling off - you'll trust the system way more once it's caught you a couple of times!

Best of luck.
 faffergotgunz 23 Jan 2016

Derez no hope 4 u now bruv.

Welcome 2 da world ov plastic mountain heros. U know wen u made it wen u shout take on ure 1st f5 wearin 100 quid rubber shoes lol
 MonkeyPuzzle 23 Jan 2016
In reply to Oldsign:

> You're going to need a new username

nowaclimber?
notaclimber2 23 Jan 2016

Yup, I was thinking I should change the username - We are back home now, so I'm going to get over to the local wall and see if I can actually do this before being too cavalier with the handle - don't want to jinx anything! Amazingly I also just found out that a very close friend is also into this, so now I even have a male buddy to go with as well as my girlfriend.

Updates soon...
 JEF 23 Jan 2016
In reply to faffergotgunz:

> Derez no hope 4 u now bruv.

> Welcome 2 da world ov plastic mountain heros. U know wen u made it wen u shout take on ure 1st f5 wearin 100 quid rubber shoes lol

I'm just curious, who taught you to write?
 Wsdconst 23 Jan 2016

Well although I'm upset you didn't follow my cunning plan, I'm glad you found your own way. Good luck.
 MonkeyPuzzle 23 Jan 2016
In reply to MaxJEF:

> I'm just curious, who taught you to write?

Why, has he sent you a letter?
 JEF 23 Jan 2016
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

> Why, has he sent you a letter?

Yes, another begging letter for illegal immigrants who have done nothing on grit. The fecker.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...