UKC

Life enriching albums

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 broken spectre 22 Jan 2016
For better or for worse. Albums that have resonated with you and seen you through the good times and the bad.

For me, it's Primal Scream, Riot City Blues

What's your poison?
 Skyfall 22 Jan 2016
In reply to broken spectre:
Back in Black - through the seasons for 36 years (!)

RIP Bon Scott, to whom Hells Bells and Back in Black were dedicated.
Post edited at 22:56
 Flinticus 22 Jan 2016

Easy. Got to be ones that have lasted over time

The Burning World by Swans

Hounds of Love by Kate Bush

I reckon Benji by Sun Kil Moon will join them
 John Ww 22 Jan 2016

Born To Run - still remember the day I first heard (and bought) it.

JW
 Steve Perry 22 Jan 2016
In reply to Skyfall:

I always thought it funny how good that album was and how shite everything they've ever made since is, that maybe Bon Scott had actually written it before he died.
 Andy Farnell 22 Jan 2016
Pearl Jam - Ten.

Covers every emotional base. Eloquently and with a soul searing honesty.

Andy F.

I'm still alive....
Post edited at 23:31
 bouldery bits 22 Jan 2016

Hour of the Bewilderbeast - badly drawn boy.

An album that simply makes me smile and has done for a decade.
Moley 23 Jan 2016

Mainstream probably, but Astral Weeks continues to sound great and relax me.
 colin8ll 23 Jan 2016

Solid Air - John Martyn
 Doug 23 Jan 2016

Dylan's Blood on the Tracks, Kind of Blue by Miles Davis stand out
 BnB 23 Jan 2016

Darklands Jesus and Mary Chain
The Bends Radiohead
The Queen Is Dead The Smiths (or any of their albums for that matter)
Blue Lines Massive Attack
Unknown Plessures & Closer Joy Division

The fact these are all in one way or another paranoiac records must say something about me but several also champion northern weather, which I adore. Who needs sunshine?
 Nordie_matt 23 Jan 2016
Runnin Riot - reclaim the streets.

A Belfast Oi!/street punk outfit and friends of mine, sadly no longer going as Colin riot (singer) died on tour in 2014

Inner Terrestrials - tales of terror

And at the other end of the spectrum ...

William Elliott Whitmore - ashes to dust

Planxty - live a vicar street. (Love the uillean pipe solo during the blacksmith)
Post edited at 09:15

There are a few, some of which (Back in Black, Solid Air, Hounds of Love) have already been mentioned. One that probably won't make anyone else's list though is The Book of Invasions by The Horslips. Been listening to it for 34 years and still haven't tired of it. Yes, it's a cheesy folk-rock concept album but I like it a lot.

T.
 Andy Clarke 23 Jan 2016

Would be bereft without Dylan - Blonde on Blonde.
Almost as moving for me:
Cave - The Boatman's Call
Waits - Raindogs

King Crimson - Larks Tongues in Aspic. Bought it new in the 70s, still have it loaded on the hard drive in the car. Often the soundtrack to my daily commute, along with
Yes - Tales from Topographic Oceans (see a pattern emerging here?)
Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power (on my headphones bouldering/training) along with
System of a Down - Mezmerize
 Clarence 23 Jan 2016

Neil's Heavy Concept Album - a spin off from The Young Ones but it introduced me to a whole new genre of music, from Caravan to The Incredible String Band. I wore out the vinyl and now I'm on my second CD.

Mike Oldfield, Hergest Ridge -far better than Tubular Bells and much underrated, I often kick back and get mellow to this.

Jethro Tull, War Child - I bought this for the cool album cover but fell in love with virtually every track. Still gets plenty of turntable time.
In reply to Clarence:

The more I read this thread, the more albums I want to put up here. I've just got up which can be the only reason I didn't nominate Jethro Tull's Heavy Horses (winner by a nose over Aqualung and Songs From the Wood), Caravan's In The Land Of Grey and Pink and Mike Oldfield's Ommadawn (side one; the rest of it is dishwater but the first side and specifically the last ten minutes or so of that piece are furniture-bitingly, raise-all-the-hairs-on-your-forearms splendid).

Heavens, I'll probably think of some more in a minute. Time to turn the hifi on.

T.
 Clarence 23 Jan 2016
In reply to Pursued by a bear:
> Ommadawn (side one; the rest of it is dishwater but the first side and specifically the last ten minutes or so of that piece are furniture-bitingly, raise-all-the-hairs-on-your-forearms splendid).

I first found Mike Oldfield's other early albums via The Complete Mike Oldfield released in 85. This had excerpts from the first four concept albums and included the best bits of Ommadawn and Incantations. I agree that the rest of Ommadawn is a bit aural wallpaper but the excerpts are sublime. I feel the same way about Genesis' Foxtrot and Suppers Ready, the former is only notable for the inclusion of the latter. As for War Child vs Heavy Horses, I don't think even a nose is in it but tankfully it isn't the 70s anymore and I can afford more than one album in my collection
Post edited at 11:13
Removed User 23 Jan 2016

Wish you where here; Pink Floyd. Holds so many formative memories for me.
 Al Evans 23 Jan 2016
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

Hunky Dory by David Bowie and Dark Side Of The Moon by Pink Floyd. Or almost anything by Dylan.
 sdodd 23 Jan 2016
The Triffids : Born Sandy Devotional
Grateful Dead : Blues for Allah
Post edited at 19:08
 Bulls Crack 24 Jan 2016

Selling England by the Pound - always sublime
 robert-hutton 24 Jan 2016
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Two for me
Iggy Pop - Raw Power and Supertramp - Crime of the century
Further to my last post,

Captain Beefheart - Clear spot / Spotlight Kid. The Captain at the height of his powers.
Frank Zappa - Hot Rats / Overnight Sensation. I don't think Frank's 'funny' stuff has worn well, but when he shuts up and plays the guitar, it's sublime. As with The Captain, a brilliant backing band.
Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton / Cream - Disraeli Gears. Still got my mono vinyl which my brother bought in the 60s. Before Eric went all Stratocaster, the weapon of choice was a Gibson 335 and a bunch of valve amps turned up to 11. Still some of my favourite solos of all time, even compared to his pals Jimmy and Jeff.
 MonkeyPuzzle 24 Jan 2016

Nirvana - In Utero. Dripping with symbolism, honesty, flippancy and humour all at the same time.

The Jesus Lizard - Down. Cathartic or celebratory noise, dependent on mood. The Lizard had accidentally become really good musicians by that point too.

Photek - Modus Operandi. I can just lose myself in this. A high point for Drum and Bass.
 cander 24 Jan 2016

An evening with wild man Fischer - Simon cowbell would do well to listen and learn!
Waves - Jade Warrior
 brownie mike 24 Jan 2016

Jeff Buckley - Grace
Neil Young - On the Beach
 IM 24 Jan 2016
In reply to brownie mike:

Kind of Blue - Miles Davis
Tapestry - Carol King
Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
 wercat 25 Jan 2016

Any of Brian Pern's stuff during his early and middle period - after that he sold out a bit. Thotch were never the same
 Pyreneenemec 25 Jan 2016

Great thread !

I guess 'Wish You Were Here' does it for me.

Some interesting choices and plenty to explore. Thanks in advance to rutracker , external hard-drives and FLAC !

graeme jackson 25 Jan 2016

Anytime I'm dithering about what to listen to I'll end up spinning either Joni Mitchell. ladies of the canyon. or Rickie lee Jones.
redsonja 25 Jan 2016

Rumours- Fleetwood Mac
A new world record- ELO
Bat out of hell- Meat Loaf
 JamButty 26 Jan 2016

My list would easily reach double figures, very biased towards rock, but I'll think I'll go for just one:

Kirsty Maccolls last album...Tropical Brainstorm, absolutely brilliant, she also fits the bill on the other thread!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...