UKC

Dylan Hartley - England captain?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 krikoman 25 Jan 2016

Dylan Hartley set to be confirmed as England captain.

Surely this can't be true, WTF!?!?!

I might have to start supporting Wales or, god forbid, Scotland
Post edited at 12:28
 Oceanrower 25 Jan 2016
In reply to krikoman:

Noooooooooooooooo!
 the sheep 25 Jan 2016
In reply to krikoman:

Does seem to be the case in the media. Certainly would be a strange one as he isn't the regular 2 for Saints. Not to mention his lack of discipline, unable to spend 80 minutes on the pitch and has spent over a year out of the game for various bans.

Oceanrower 25 Jan 2016
In reply to krikoman:

According to planetrugby, Haskell is backing Hartley. Hopefully Eddie Jones thinks differently.
JMGLondon 25 Jan 2016
In reply to krikoman:

I'm all for trying him out as skipper and I hope it turns out to be a very astute move from Jones. His disciplinary record is poor, but I'd hope that the added responsibility will sort him out. Brown could feel hard done by, but I suspect Jones will want his skipper in the front 5.

OP krikoman 25 Jan 2016
In reply to Oceanrower:
I'd gladly see him not playing at all!!

At least we'll probably see the second in command get plenty of captaincy practice.
Post edited at 13:00
 coinneach 25 Jan 2016
In reply to krikoman:

As I said on a previous thread, if I was BVC Jim Hamilton would be getting a recall.
Gone for good 25 Jan 2016
In reply to krikoman:
Mike Brown for Captain for me. Leads by example, gets in the oppositions faces, great runner in the loose amd someone the other team members would look up to.
Dylan Hartley has done little to deserve the honour of captaining his country.
Post edited at 13:21
 galpinos 25 Jan 2016
In reply to JMGLondon:

> I'm all for trying him out as skipper and I hope it turns out to be a very astute move from Jones. His disciplinary record is poor, but I'd hope that the added responsibility will sort him out.

Well, since becoming captain at Saints he's not done anything wrong........... (And I'm a Saints fan!)

With him at hooker (not even guaranteed at club level) and and the ginger bowling ball at prop, we'll be 12 points and 1 man down by the half time whistle of the first match.
JMGLondon 25 Jan 2016
In reply to galpinos:

I thought his performance against Scarlets demonstrated exactly why he can, and should, lead England.

JMGLondon 25 Jan 2016
In reply to galpinos:

I thought his performance against Scarlets demonstrated exactly why he can, and should, lead England.

nathan79 25 Jan 2016
In reply to krikoman:

I thought I was seeing things when I read about it.
You only have to read his rather large list of misdemeanors to see he's the absolute polar opposite of captain material.

His multiple instances of eye gouging alone would be enough to see him kept out of the team if I was picking it.
 galpinos 25 Jan 2016
In reply to JMGLondon:

It show's he could be the first choice for England and maybe even Captain. One performance doesn't show why he should be though......
JMGLondon 25 Jan 2016
In reply to galpinos:

We're 8th in the world rankings and have won one six nations in 12 years. Change, any change, is very welcome in my opinion. Why not give this is whirl?

OP krikoman 25 Jan 2016
In reply to JMGLondon:

> We're 8th in the world rankings and have won one six nations in 12 years. Change, any change, is very welcome in my opinion. Why not give this is whirl?

Well mainly because he's a arsehole, but secondly because there are many others that DESERVE a go at being captain.

Brown's a good option, though not an angle, still a better choice.

As for Scarlets, one match doesn't make a captain, surely it should be someone people and players have respect for and faith in.
JMGLondon 25 Jan 2016
In reply to krikoman:

Perhaps we need an arsehole? Watching our inept front 5 in the WC was embarrassing.

OP krikoman 25 Jan 2016
In reply to JMGLondon:

> Perhaps we need an arsehole? Watching our inept front 5 in the WC was embarrassing.

Pick a better arsehole though
JMGLondon 25 Jan 2016
In reply to krikoman:

I suppose Martin Johnson was an angel.
Gone for good 25 Jan 2016
In reply to krikoman:

Now confirmed....
'Controversial hooker Dylan Hartley, with bans totalling 54 Weeks, succeeds Chris Robshaw as England Rugby Union Captain'.
 galpinos 25 Jan 2016
In reply to JMGLondon:

Did he have 54 weeks of bans to his name? Was he guaranteed a club start or battling for his place?
OP krikoman 25 Jan 2016
In reply to krikoman:

Maybe when he blinds someone, they might not think he's such a role model.

A sad day for rugby for sure.
 the sheep 25 Jan 2016
In reply to JMGLondon:

> I'm all for trying him out as skipper and I hope it turns out to be a very astute move from Jones. His disciplinary record is poor, but I'd hope that the added responsibility will sort him out.

Wasn't he sent off for swearing at the ref in the premiership final (in the first half too) when he was club captain?
JMGLondon 25 Jan 2016
In reply to the sheep:

Yes, and he's been banned for plenty worse.
 gavmac 25 Jan 2016
In reply to krikoman:

Not a single player makes me dislike the England rugby team more than Dylan Hartley. The lads a knob.
 andy 25 Jan 2016
In reply to gavmac:

He can, however, throw straight, unlike pretty much all the other contenders for no.2.

He'll do for me.
 AdrianC 25 Jan 2016
In reply to gavmac:

Not even Ashton's swallow diving nonsense?
OP krikoman 25 Jan 2016
In reply to krikoman:

If he was guaranteed to lead England to a win I'd still rather not have this wanker at the head of our team, he's all that's wrong with sport.

Whatever happened to sportsmanship? I simply can't understand why he's been chosen. He's not even that good of a player.

I can only imagine it's some sort of infiltration by New Zealand to completely f*ck English rugby, either that or everyone else turned it down.

I really can't believe this choice.
 gavmac 25 Jan 2016
In reply to AdrianC:

He's a contender, no doubt. But Hartley has a particularly punchable face.
 the sheep 25 Jan 2016
In reply to gavmac:
Leave the pair of them to gouge each other and act like tw@s and let the rest of us concentrate on rugby.
Post edited at 22:44
 Morgan Woods 26 Jan 2016
In reply to andy:

> He can, however, throw straight,

punches or balls?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...