UKC

How do you train/self motivate for general fitness?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alyson 29 Jan 2016
I’m someone who enjoys generally feeling fit and strong but I’ve never – with the exception of a brief foray into running 10Ks a few years ago – trained for anything particular. I can’t help feeling that having a goal would focus me to get fitter but I’m not a competitive person at all and I’m not especially motivated by racing or competition of any kind.

So this question is not specific to climbing - or running or biking - (I’m not looking for specific info on sets or reps or campus board routines or intervals) but I’m really interested in the psychological tools people use to stay motivated.

For example:
Do you follow a planned routine, or do you exercise then record your workout afterwards?
Do you measure your performance against other people or is it enough to challenge yourself against yourself?
Do you set goals (eg run 5K in under 20 mins) or targets (eg do 100 ab crunches a day)?
Do you train alone or with others?

I’m really interested to know which methods people find most useful in maintaining fitness.

(I record my workouts retrospectively, measure progress against myself, set targets rather than goals, and train alone. And no, I don’t find this to be an especially motivating combination in the long term!)
 The New NickB 29 Jan 2016
In reply to Alyson:
Arranging to do stuff with other people. A run on my own on a cold wet night after a long day at work takes a lot more will power than one in the same conditions, but with a friend or two.

I have targets and record everything, but training with others is definitely the most important factor.
Post edited at 09:09
 Ridge 29 Jan 2016
In reply to Alyson:

I'd agree with Nick re: training with others, although sometimes that's not practicable. Also if you're unfit and had a PE teacher that resembled Brian Glover in 'Kes' then you don't tend to associate groups sports with fun..

I certainly wouldn't have been running thresholds in the freezing rain last night without having a running club to do it with. I also like Strava, providing you don't take it too seriously.

The important thing is to enjoy it and focus on the good. I ran round Ennerdale on Weds night. The paths were ankle deep in freezing water, rain scattered the headtorch beam so it was hard to make out the rocks and there was mud everywhere. Normally I'd get frustrated, but I slowed right down, concentrated on how great it was to be out on my own rather than nursing some injury or another, and ended up having the most enjoyable run I've had in months.
Moley 29 Jan 2016
In reply to Alyson:

I am completely the opposite to the above, I have trained and exercised alone for 30 years, but I have always been happier in my own company making my own choices when running. Also, living out in the sticks would mean jumping into the car to drive to club training sessions or a mates house, not for me.

Everyone is different on how they cope and motivate and I think it also changes with age and years training (not just running). When I was keen and racing I recorded all my runs and tried to stick to a routine, now in my 60s the only motivation I need is a nice day and I'm itching to get out on the hills - I walk/jog/run wherever I fancy as fast or slow as my body let's me go without worrying about it.

So my advice is either set a goal, join others and keep records for motivation. Or don't worry about it at all and do what you feel like doing and ideally mix sports to keep your mind fresh and have a choice - run, jump on the bike, go for a climb, swim, gym etc.

galpinos 29 Jan 2016
In reply to Alyson:

Climbing

I have routes/problems that I aspire to and every so often follow a training plan in order to attempt to achieve them. This is normally interrupted by work/life/family but the one time I managed to stick with a plan for a decent length of time I saw good gains, i.e I climbed my hardest ever problem and had my most successful days bouldering ever (my daughter was born two days later which has somewhat upset the structured training ever since.....)

Running

Joining a club and entering races are what keeps me going. The Tuesday club run mean I run at least once every week and it's over six miles at a pace I would struggle to make myself run at without having people to chase/encourage me along. I moved "up" into a faster paced group and when struggling at 4 miles, a couple of the lads dropped back and paced me in over the last few. There's also a track session on a Friday that helps.

Since becoming a dad (I think you're a mum?), having stuff planned that I do every week makes it happen. My wife had hockey matches, hockey training and circuits that were on the same night every week so she always got to them. My running and climbing wasn't fixed so I found I ended up missing out as they could be moved, so family stuff came first. By joining a running club and having a fixed climbing night with a friend, things have got more balanced. We've not quite cracked it though.....
 LastBoyScout 29 Jan 2016
In reply to Alyson:

I used to do a lot of swimming and usually logged times against set distances, such as 1/2 mile, 1km, etc. While in the pool, I used to pick someone random as a target to chase - occasionally, the target was to stay ahead of someone else.

Similar with running and cycling - pretty good idea of time for a set route and always the option to chase some random other in the distance.
 nniff 29 Jan 2016
In reply to Alyson:

I've found the answer is that I need a routine that is difficult to break. The foundation of this is a Sunday morning cycling club run. I've got myself into a position where, as a norm, I 'lead' one of the groups and so, to an extent, people rely on me to turn up. Those are conducted at a pace that I cannot manage if I don't go out during the week too, and going out on my own is generally less painful than keeping up if I'm off the pace at the weekend. The easiest way to do this is to do a 28-40 mile round trip cycle commute at least three times a week, although the 22 mile return leg into a strong headwind last night was a serious miscalculation at the end of a long day.

If I go out on a ride on my own on my road bike (ie not commuting), I try as a general rule to get within the top x% on worthwhile Strava segments (the longer ones) - I can judge it fairly well now. I don't bother with the 'Mick's sprint to the marker' rubbish. A heart rate monitor helps too, although I'm not really a numbers person - I have absolutely no idea how many watts I generate at all.

Then I add a Wednesday night wall session, predominantly with the same partner rather than a group. That increases the obligation to go, although there is some flex in the arrangement.

I used to run a bit at lunchtimes, when I worked somewhere surrounded by woods and fields (my knees are too shot for running on tarmac). Now I work surrounded by concrete, so that's been abandoned. Can't say I miss it.

Sunday's bike ride is ditched if it's a climbing day - the rest of them just have to look after themselves for once!
Andy Gamisou 29 Jan 2016
In reply to Alyson:

Eating chips mostly.
 tony 29 Jan 2016
In reply to Alyson:

I was on the verge of giving up running last year because of persistent injuries. Running has been quite an important part of my life for the last 10 years or so, and I was worried about how I'd fill the gap, and how I'd avoid getting fat. What motivated me to keep going was the thought that I wouldn't be able to go running in some of my favourite places. I live in a part of the world there are a lot of wonderful trails for running, and the benefits of going running on those trails go far beyond my physical well-being - the psychological and emotional benefits are huge, and as my partner would agree, I'm a much nicer person when I'm able to run in the hills and enjoy the freedom that running brings.

I am a member of a running club, and I do run with other people, and I quite enjoy races, but I'm probably happier running on my own, in my own space. Having said that, I do also slavishly record times and distances - I'm targetting one particular race this year, which I did last year and was disappointed in my performance, so I'm making comparisons between training this year and training last year.
In reply to Willi Crater:

> Eating chips mostly.

Finally someone I can understand!
In reply to Alyson:

My approach to training has been pretty similar to yours. For running I'll enter the occasional 10k or an alternative to give me something to aim for, although I actually enjoy running off-road just for the pleasure of it.

I've recently started using www.irunurun.com along with a friend, so even though we don't train together we can compare results and ecourage each other. It's been very successful so far.
 Tall Clare 29 Jan 2016
In reply to Alyson:

I can struggle with motivation and I'm not a particularly competitive person. Things that I've found seem to work for me include recording things - I now have Suunto things that record where I've been, heart rate, etc, and I find all that quite interesting - and giving myself the Fear. This year I've done that by making a public declaration that I'm going to run 500 miles, which isn't far at all if done regularly but which gets scarier if I procrastinate about it. To add to the fear, I decided to ask for sponsorship for the MS Society (my brother has it) and some has already been contributed. Whilst I can't always motivate myself alone, I find fear of letting others down aids my progress out of the door enormously!

Oh, and seeing pictures of myself looking utterly horrific in bathing attire...
OP Alyson 29 Jan 2016
Love reading all your perspectives, thanks everyone! I really appreciate the time you've taken to answer.

I could definitely do with some kind of commitment to at least one of my weekly activities. I'm currently cycle commuting Mondays and Fridays (18km a day), bouldering one night a week and running at least once a week (sometimes switching the weekend run for swimming or another bike ride). None of these involve someone relying on me to turn up! (Well, work rely on me to turn up but they don't specify it has to be on my bike.)

A running club could be an option though I heartily detest every second I spend running, and I do it because it's the most convenient way of maximising exercise in a narrow window of opportunity. Galpinos you are right, it's the parenting which restricts everything else. We're currently alternating nights so that one of us can get out to do something active which is the only way I'm getting fit but also means I never see my husband any more..!

(Clare - much as I'd love to pretend I have higher and more noble motivations, the whole bathing attire appearance issue is most definitely at the forefront of my mind as I wheeze my way around the neighbourhood.)
 ring ouzel 29 Jan 2016
In reply to Alyson:

Have a child! it has helped me anyway. As she gets older I will want to take her out more (currently usually just make a bonfire on the beach to toast marshmallows!). I'm thinking of going for my ML and SPA so that when she is a bit older I can take her out safely. Of course to do this means I need to get out, which means I need to get fitter etc. etc. etc. Getting back into mountain biking (well, bikepacking) and bushcraft for the same reason. I started Pan Species Listing last year so as well as marshmallows on the beach we now also look at seaweed, beetles, springtails....everything.
OP Alyson 29 Jan 2016
In reply to ring ouzel:

Another?! How do you think that will help? It has been either rainy or windy or both for about the last 2 months and no matter how warmly I dress her she does NOT want to go and play in either of those meteorological conditions. She wants to build lego dinosaurs or make gingerbread men.
 ring ouzel 29 Jan 2016
In reply to Alyson:

Pah! Southern softy!! We wrap ours up and she gets taken out whether we get tantrums or not! Once she is out the lure of the playpark is too strong for her to resist. Or I take her for a walk in the woods where it is less windy but very atmospheric.

Having said all that today she is at the theatre seeing the ballet. Which is fine as I can sit here and watch the gannets that have been blown up the firth (not a euphemism!) by the weather.
 Tall Clare 29 Jan 2016
In reply to Alyson:

Having a dog is another motivator - it means I have to go out for walk every day, generally around five miles, regardless of the weather. We are currently very fed up of rain and mud.
 quirky 29 Jan 2016
In reply to Alyson:
I used to train just to be fit for doing the things I loved,days in the hills, long days out on the bike, then I started to get fitter and focus more on my training. To give myself further motivation I started to enter races and see how hard I could push myself. Training consisted of logging runs and rides, heart rate, cadence, distance,speed then one day I realised I was so busy training there was no longer any time to do the things I loved!
I still keep fit, commute by bike, run at lunch, early morning swims etc but I am determined to get out more for the pure joy of it rather than to use it as a barometer of my current fitness levels.

oh and getting my garmin nicked did wonders for removing the obsession with fitness related data...(although I still have a slight Strava habit)
Post edited at 15:47
 Timmd 29 Jan 2016
In reply to Alyson:
It might sound weird, but I guess at heart my motivation is about having a hunger when I get back home and enjoying eating, and the fact that the Peak is so handy (and beautiful) to get out into and engage with nature in.

After hardly exercising much since last April due to studying a lot I'm going to sort my MTB out and start getting out up to Stanage Pole again by the end of next week, and buy a guide book or two and start planning longer rides, really I just want to get back to enjoying feeling fit(er) again and feeling at one with things while being outside - and being a state of 'flow'. I have a long term goal of being able to cycle 100 miles on my road bike, but that's over the next year or two of getting out when I can and gradually building up to it, there's no plan other than gradually cycling further until I can do it 'with pleasure' as it were.

Feeling fit/healthy and feeling hungry from being in nice places, I guess that's what does it for me.

There's a background motive of seeking new challenges and pushing myself, but for it to be fun it has to be about how I feel physically and enjoying that and being outside.

I guess I have a fear about losing fitness and becoming unhealthy, thinking about having a fear as a motivator.
Post edited at 16:15
 Timmd 29 Jan 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

> Having a dog is another motivator - it means I have to go out for walk every day, generally around five miles, regardless of the weather. We are currently very fed up of rain and mud.

My dog owning friend has certainly got fitter since she got three dogs.
 FactorXXX 29 Jan 2016
In reply to Alyson:

So this question is not specific to climbing - or running or biking - (I’m not looking for specific info on sets or reps or campus board routines or intervals) but I’m really interested in the psychological tools people use to stay motivated.

I use the Father Jack method of motivation: https://coub.com/view/11d4d
 malk 29 Jan 2016
In reply to Alyson:

a friend showed me one of his strava segments the other day where he was one above froomie! (so not that difficult) would that sort of thing motivate you?
getting out into nature is my main motivation..
 Brass Nipples 29 Jan 2016
In reply to Alyson:
I enter multi day cycling endurance events each year. They are tough events, requiring you to cover around 200 miles a day for multiple days in a row. The aim is to complete them, they are not competitive, you either succeed or you fail, no one wins, no one gets a place. I have to keep fit to have any chance of succeeding at them and indeed enjoying them. This year I have a 7 day event in Ireland. Without these events my fitness will drift. When I was half my current age it used to be the mountain marathons and ultras in the 80s and 90s.
Post edited at 16:34
 Greasy Prusiks 29 Jan 2016
In reply to Alyson:

Either do something or aim for something that you're really proud of. That's what works for me. For example I have a routine I do every day that involves 15 pull ups, which is 100 a week or 5000 a year. Converted in to meters that means I pull up 2500 meters a year or one Ben Nevis every 4 and a something months. Go me! I don't think it matters what but look for something you're proud of.
Hope that helps.
 galpinos 29 Jan 2016
In reply to Alyson:

My wife and I hit a patch where we never saw each other as we we so motivated to get back to doing things we neglected to fit in some time together. It's a tricky balance. Just as we thought we'd cracked it we've got another on the way hopefully so back to the drawing board! Good luck.....
 Ridge 29 Jan 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

> Having a dog is another motivator - it means I have to go out for walk every day, generally around five miles, regardless of the weather. We are currently very fed up of rain and mud.

Don't get a Lurcher. If the weather's horrible he sticks his head out of the door, glares at the sky, looks at me with a "I won't tell her if you don't" expression and heads off back to bed.
In reply to Ridge:

So true. It's the checking whether it is raining outside both the back door and the front door that amuses me as well.
andymac 29 Jan 2016
In reply to Alyson:

I am not remotely competitive ,and avoid bike races ,hill duels and generally just competing

Loved football training .hated playing in games.

I find a routine works.

Religiously (almost) play on my hill every Sunday ,or do my 16 mile lochside trek.if the hill is not being sociable.

On alternate week nights I play on the Turbo.and let the music motivate me.

Sometimes it's a thought ,but 'Eye of The Tiger' sets the ball rolling.

Run to the top of the stairs .and I'm a contender.for the night.
 fmck 29 Jan 2016
In reply to Alyson:

I agree with folks saying you got to enjoy what your doing. During the winter I have a single track moor road I stick to that's very safe any car up there lights the place up so plenty time to get out the way. I love being up there in my wee pool of light. I have had meteors, ISS crossing and northern lights.
Summer out over the moors and even out running at 5 in the morning at lower levels enjoying the seemingly deserted streets. Particularly love the smells of plants when early sun hits the dew.
Loads of change makes it interesting. I feckin hate gyms and don't get how folks can regularly have fun on the gerbil wheel.
If not running I have got into you tube ( fitness blender) HIIT routines. Short but to the point.
PamPam 29 Jan 2016
In reply to Alyson:

I have to keep fit for my job so that's a big motivator but I do have other reasons. I run, do circuits, started doing a bit of crossfit and I lift weights. I just enjoy it, mostly because I feel good after, I like something to keep me a little bit challenged, it gives me time to mentally switch off and I like how I look when I'm at my best. At the moment a big motivator is strengthening my hip as I injured it and it's still a weak point and also getting myself into really good shape for comic conventions. Yeah, very geeky, yes I go to them in costume but there's no point going as a superhero if I'm in less than superhero shape!
OP Alyson 29 Jan 2016
In reply to PamPam:

Oh HOW do you not have a profile pic?! Who do you dress as? Get a photo up!
OP Alyson 29 Jan 2016
In reply to fmck:
Have you any particular YouTube HIIT routines you'd recommend? I'm somewhat in awe of Kayla Itsines' abs but there ain't no way I'm paying £20 a month for her app.
Post edited at 22:15
 wbo 29 Jan 2016
In reply to Alyson: I always found it very helpful to write on a year or six month wall planner what training I'd done on a day (roughly, not much space) and then also write in any upcoming races and trips. You get to see how much you've done, and put it in the context of what you will do.

ClimberEd 29 Jan 2016
In reply to Alyson:

Set a goal, follow a training programme to achieve that goal.

Train with others where possible, on ones own if necessary (discipline to follow a programme is key, with some flexibility)
 fmck 29 Jan 2016
In reply to Alyson:

"Fitness blender comprehensive total body HIIT routine" on you tube. Folks on here recommend it to me a few months back when working away from home. Its really good and now use this every second day not running.
OP Alyson 29 Jan 2016
In reply to fmck:

I'll check it out, ta. I get blocks of time while my daughter has a nap so it would be good to find something I could do at home.
 JEF 29 Jan 2016
In reply to Alyson:

I have two motivations;
1) not wanting to join the amount of blokes my age who've had heart attacks
2) remaining fit enough to enjoy my outdoors lifestyle

PamPam 29 Jan 2016
In reply to Alyson:

Haha yeah I will do once I have one as I'm off to my first comicon next month with some friends even though I've been a comic fan for a good while longer. I'm going as a female version of the Winter Soldier, non-skanky I hasten to add for a number of reasons I shouldn't have to explain! It's an ongoing project as I had such short notice for the one in February when I had originally planned to go in summer so some things I bought and some things I have made or am making right now with plans to refine and remodel as I go and see about more characters to add to my repertoire.
In reply to MaxJEF:

Does this mean I have to give up the chips and bacon butties; or can I combine my aims with your motivations?
 Timmd 30 Jan 2016
In reply to Ridge:
> Don't get a Lurcher. If the weather's horrible he sticks his head out of the door, glares at the sky, looks at me with a "I won't tell her if you don't" expression and heads off back to bed.

Very sensible.

Post edited at 01:53
Rigid Raider 30 Jan 2016
In reply to Alyson:

Why run around when God gave us the brains to invent and ride bicycles? It's simple, buy a decent road bike, get it properly fitted and get some decent clothes and your fitness with go through the roof, all the time while enjoying yourself.
 Yanis Nayu 30 Jan 2016
In reply to Alyson:

The main motivation for doing it is enjoying it. Having said that, having some sort of goal helps - you can then work back from it and plan what you're going to do to achieve it. Don't stick too slavishly to a plan though - listen to what you feel like on the day.

Recording what you have done is helpful.

My problem with things though isn't too little motivation, it's too much, with the inherent risk of injury. Discipline for me is not doing something!
 The New NickB 30 Jan 2016
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> Why run around when God gave us the brains to invent and ride bicycles?

You come out with this tedium every time anything to do with fitness comes up.

Firstly, it was dull the first time. Secondly, the OP isn't interested in what the best type of exercise is, she will have her own ideas about that, she is interested in motivation. Thirdly, you appear to have ignored the fact that Cycling is already a significant part of the OPs fitness regime.
 Yanis Nayu 30 Jan 2016

I love cycling, but run instead because I get a stiff neck from cycling which gives me headaches, whereas running relaxes my neck and shoulders. It's also less hassle and takes less time, as it's more intensive. It's also more natural and has benefits that cycling doesn't have, like improving bone density (especially important for women I think). That said, you can get more work done cycling with less soreness etc, and you get to see more of the countryside. Horses for courses!
OP Alyson 30 Jan 2016

I have a fantastic mountain bike (her name is The Awesome). Not sure about getting a road bike too. I used to ride 50-60 miles every Saturday as well as a daily commute, and to me cycling is easy and fun and brilliant in much the same way that running isn't. I still ride every week but due to family life I can't do the same kind of mileage, so aren't as fit as I was. Hence this thread really - motivation for improving fitness for its own sake, when I don't particularly have a goal in mind.

Some great suggestions on this thread, thank you everyone. I like the idea of a noncompetitive cycling sportive type challenge so I'll look into that. My dad dragged me to my first parkrun last weekend which is something I might keep doing as a benchmark of progress too.
 Tall Clare 30 Jan 2016
In reply to Alyson:

One slightly curious thing about this thread is that for some reason (no idea why) I thought you were an enthusiastic runner, and was quite surprised to find that's not true. It's surprising what impressions one gathers...
 Brass Nipples 30 Jan 2016
In reply to Alyson:
Non competitive cycling events.

Take a look at Audax http://www.aukweb.net , non competitive , cheap, sociable, and you get to look after your fitness as well.
Post edited at 22:18
 john spence 30 Jan 2016
In reply to Alyson:

Sometimes, when I am really motivated I will walk all the way around Asda with my wife, usually I will just stand and read the front pages of the newspapers,. I am far too polite to turn the pages. When I get to Wales I wonder why my legs don't work and I promise myself to get fit for the next trip. More recently we have been visiting Aldi's and when reading the papers there one is prone to being hit by a trolley driven by a 7 yr old so I am forced to walk. Aldis is motivating.
 stp 31 Jan 2016
In reply to Alyson:

If indoor climbing is counted as training, and I think done the right way it can be, then I'm primarily motivated purely by the fact I love climbing. I wish I had more time to go and that rest days weren't necessary so I could do even more.

I'm motivated in part because climbing harder means there are more routes, and better routes available at higher grades. I don't have a lot of easy (for me) stuff to do in this country and its hard for me to climb abroad most of the time. But regardless of that pushing oneself to one's limits is what makes climbing interesting so I'm always motivated to try hard and push myself purely because that is more interesting.

The interesting thing about climbing (as opposed to running etc.) is that the competition is with the rock rather than directly with another person. So I think its appealing to people who are not that competitive or like to shy away from direct competition.

In terms of other training currently I'm not doing enough. But one motivation is avoid injuries. Another is related to accelerate general improvement. Just climbing it is easy to plateau and improving some strengths like core and antagonists is hard to do by climbing alone.

I think for that kind of training a diary is a key motivational tool. It motivates to go beyond what you did the past workout. And longer term its motivating to see how much stronger/fitter you are now than in the past, whether that was one month ago, one year ago or when you started.

But overall I'm completely motivated by the passion for climbing and if I was just doing it for some hazy reason like feeling fit and strong I'm not sure I would be motivated at all. Climbing is a good way to express and feel those gains in strength and fitness. When you can do things you couldn't do before that feeling of accomplishment drives you to continue the hard work.
OP Alyson 01 Feb 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:
> One slightly curious thing about this thread is that for some reason (no idea why) I thought you were an enthusiastic runner, and was quite surprised to find that's not true. It's surprising what impressions one gathers...

It's very much a love-hate relationship. No doubt at some point in the past I have waxed lyrical about trail running in the rain and hurdling over the occasional rock/stream. There are moments where I've run and felt exuberant doing so, but at the moment - perhaps because I'm out of regular practice - it truly feels as though running hates me. It doesn't seem to matter if I run before breakfast, or an hour after food, or 2 hours after food, I always get terrible stitch and stomach pains. My legs feel like lead and I feel so lumpy and lacking in bounce.

Swimming, cycling and hillwalking all make me feel unstoppable. I can do any of those for hours, and then do the same the next day and the day after that. I'm not lacking in stamina so why oh why can I not run for ten minutes without feeling like I'm about to die? I can only conclude that running wants me to be its bitch. If I don't do it 5 times a week and give up all other forms of exercise it will punish me. Well screw you, running!

The silver lining to this cloud is that at the start of January I was averaging a woeful 7m31s per km and now I'm averaging 6m06s per km. That looks like it should be feeling easier BUT IT ISN'T! Anyway, climbing still loves me and the feeling is mutual I'm only going once a week but I'm noticing an improvement every time and it has the advantage of being enjoyable rather than a massive sufferfest.
Post edited at 09:41
cap'nChino 01 Feb 2016
In reply to Alyson:

My motivation is that I spent £800 on suits that I bought when nearly at my leanest. If I gain too much weight I'll have to buy new ones.Sounds daft but it really works for me.
OP Alyson 01 Feb 2016
In reply to cap'nChino:

Makes perfect sense. Having to spend another £800 on more suits would be far dafter
Moving up a clothing size is an absolute cut-off point for me too. I absolutely do not want a wardrobe full of carefully chosen and much loved clothes which no longer fit!
 deepsoup 01 Feb 2016
In reply to Timmd:
> and the fact that the Peak is so handy (and beautiful) to get out into and engage with nature in.

This is what makes it possible for me to run. It's time consuming because every run begins with a drive (typically 20-30 minutes), but I honestly don't think I could ever find the motivation to regularly pound the pavements.
 deepsoup 01 Feb 2016
In reply to Alyson:
> I was averaging a woeful 7m31s per km and now I'm averaging 6m06s per km. That looks like it should be feeling easier BUT IT ISN'T!

Of course it isn't easier, you're going faster! :O)
 Yanis Nayu 01 Feb 2016
In reply to Alyson:

You're knackered from doing everything else!

You really need to ease yourself into running, especially if you're fit from other stuff. I think your stitches will cease to be a problem when you're fitter.
Andy Gamisou 01 Feb 2016
In reply to Alyson:

I've just managed around 7:30 per km, down from around 9:30 per km from late December. Just to let you know there are others out there worse than you!
 hokkyokusei 01 Feb 2016
In reply to Alyson:

Running makes up most of my exercise these days, though I don't often follow a particular plan unless I have a particular goal for a particular race in mind.

My background motivation for running is that my brother died of a heart attack (he was quite overweight) when he was 39, and I was also overweight for a large proportion of my life.

I do find it hard to get out on a run, particularly if the weather is bad. I work around this by choosing running partners that are likely to shame me into it! Motivation also comes by entering races and wanting to give a good showing. Being in a running club helps with this, as you get to know who is of similar ability and it motivates me to try and beat them.

I record all of my runs and compare times and pace with similar runs so that I know if I am improving or declining. Garmin Connect and in particular Strava are great tools for this.

No earth-shattering insights there, but I hope it helps!
 Dr.S at work 01 Feb 2016
In reply to Alyson:

entering some foolish event - usually with work, forces me to address the fitness deficit - this year is the "peaky freaky"
http://www.freakevents.co.uk/freak-events/peaky-freaky-duathlon-challenge-2...
which looks horrific and is a serious motivator.

equally the various monthly challenges on Strava are quite good
Rigid Raider 01 Feb 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

> You come out with this tedium every time anything to do with fitness comes up.

> Firstly, it was dull the first time. Secondly, the OP isn't interested in what the best type of exercise is, she will have her own ideas about that, she is interested in motivation. Thirdly, you appear to have ignored the fact that Cycling is already a significant part of the OPs fitness regime.

Wow! Some really humourless, rude people inhabit this forum don't they!

Cycling is self-motivating because you have the extra enjoyment of whizzing along at speed on a fine bike. I'd challenge anybody not to enjoy that.... well, a few wouldn't, I suppose; those miserable trolls who inhabit web fora and take their enjoyment in pouring scorn on others.....
 doz 01 Feb 2016
In reply to Alyson: I lie on the sofa under the cat,
visualising a fitter, stronger me...works wonders for the cat...nearly fifteen and he can still beat me out the door and up a tree

The New NickB 01 Feb 2016

> Wow! Some really humourless, rude people inhabit this forum don't they!

You will get over it!

> Cycling is self-motivating because you have the extra enjoyment of whizzing along at speed on a fine bike. I'd challenge anybody not to enjoy that.... well, a few wouldn't, I suppose; those miserable trolls who inhabit web fora and take their enjoyment in pouring scorn on others.....

I'm a cyclist, I'm not pouring scorn on any activity. Unlike you! Maybe you should step back read the OP and think about your contribution.
cb294 01 Feb 2016
In reply to Alyson:

Some baseline fitness should come from one´s lifestyle, otherwise getting fit is just hard work (as every other activity will be harder and less fun as well).

From your posts I assume you cycle to work. Doesn´t take too much time, and can easily made regular. Cycling for half an hour each day will beat running once a week hands down in terms of improving your fitness. If you find it too easy, choose a longer route and go faster, at least on the way home!

This is also where my cardio fitness comes from, and I was totally knackered when I was injured and had to take the car to work for a three months last summer.

CB
 Timmd 01 Feb 2016
> Wow! Some really humourless, rude people inhabit this forum don't they!

> Cycling is self-motivating because you have the extra enjoyment of whizzing along at speed on a fine bike. I'd challenge anybody not to enjoy that.... well, a few wouldn't, I suppose; those miserable trolls who inhabit web fora and take their enjoyment in pouring scorn on others.....

Or on a not so fine bike.
Post edited at 15:48
 deepsoup 01 Feb 2016
In reply to Alyson:
> I like the idea of a noncompetitive cycling sportive type challenge so I'll look into that.

Here's a daft suggestion for you. How about a multi-discipline 'adventure race' kind of a thing. The Irish seem to go in for lots of them, but there are a few closer to home.

This is a particularly good one. Though not a very practical suggestion as it's a long way away and quite expensive. Flippin gorgeous though, and there's a v strong sense of camaraderie.

http://gaelforceevents.com/en/gaelforce-west

Check out the drone footage from last year: youtube.com/watch?v=wV9-O0TTgD0&
(But don't be fooled by the blue skies - just as likely that the mountain will be deep in the clag and it'll be pissing it down the whole time.)
 faffergotgunz 01 Feb 2016
In reply to Alyson:

Pain killerz n 2 cans ov monster straight after wrk getz me psyched 4 a mad wrkout luv.

Record myself on da phone 2 upload 2 youtube after innit.
OP Alyson 01 Feb 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> You're knackered from doing everything else!

Ha!

> You really need to ease yourself into running, especially if you're fit from other stuff. I think your stitches will cease to be a problem when you're fitter.

I hope so. I think I am probably expecting a bit too much - deep down I think I should be able go out and do a nice ten mile run over the moors, having not run for 3 years!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...