UKC

Help please - art project

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
sonjaiv 30 Jan 2016
Hi guys. I'm wracking my brains to come up with a proposal for an art project. I would like to incorporate ideas about why we climb. Escapism, sense of having achieved something. Any help/imput would be most appreciated.
In reply to sonjaiv:

Incorporate mini climbing figures into/upon the words/letters (eg F, or Fun, or Fitness) on a poster highlighting what one might gain from climbing, or upon an image that defines your reason(s) for climbing. A series of words could be strung together to make a crag (replica landscape shot of eg Stanage with crag replaced by lettering)or a mountain (of ambition; eg Matterhorn, Everest). More brain-numbing brainstorming available upon request
sonjaiv 30 Jan 2016
In reply to buxtoncoffeelover:

Thanks a lot. That may get me started!
 aln 30 Jan 2016
In reply to sonjaiv:

Spraypaint "Because it's there" all over Everest.
interdit 30 Jan 2016
In reply to sonjaiv:

Nail several, and variously shaped, human turds* to a piece of 18mm ply.
Call it 'The Struggle'

There are so many different interpretations that can be made of this 'artwork' that you are best to remain quiet and leave the critics / your assessors to choose their interpretation. Mostly because you have no real idea why you nailed some turds to a board.

If you win the turner prize I want credit and 15% of any prize money.

* Paint them different colours if you wish, or just eat strangely coloured food before producing each artistic component.
sonjaiv 31 Jan 2016
In reply to aln:

Honestly, thanks!
sonjaiv 31 Jan 2016
In reply to interdit:

Thank you. I really like this. I will give you credit and prize money. I have checked out the details of TheTurner Prize and I believe you have to be under 50 to enter and that rules me out. I'm petitioning to change the rules. Thanks again.
In reply to sonjaiv:

An indoor installation of colourful moulded plastic shapes symbolising the multivariate shapes of natural rock, mounted on a 4 metre high plywood frame symbolising the mountain we must climb.

If you can get an arts council grant to build this please let me know.
 Bulls Crack 31 Jan 2016
In reply to sonjaiv:

Sorry but surely the point is that you, as an artist, come up with an artistic idea and in that choice lies your artistic integrity and validity?
 hokkyokusei 31 Jan 2016
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:
> An indoor installation of colourful moulded plastic shapes symbolising the multivariate shapes of natural rock, mounted on a 4 metre high plywood frame symbolising the mountain we must climb.

> If you can get an arts council grant to build this please let me know.

But, but, where would you keep such a thing? I offer my house
Post edited at 15:25
Lusk 31 Jan 2016
In reply to sonjaiv:

Chip a lump off the top of Scafell Pike and stick it on a plinth ...
 john arran 31 Jan 2016
In reply to Lusk:

> Chip a lump off the top of Scafell Pike and stick it on a plinth ...

building a 978m high plinth for it in Norfolk.
 Brass Nipples 31 Jan 2016
In reply to sonjaiv:

A misty scene with climbers in shadow on a crag. Call the piece Gorillas in the Mist.
 Oldsign 31 Jan 2016
In reply to sonjaiv:

Rip an important hold off a famous route on abseil and then paint an abstract piece on the scar. Post the hold to the FA. Job done
 Wsdconst 31 Jan 2016
In reply to sonjaiv:

I would use taxidermed squirrel on a replica model of a particularly hard awkward move on a route you really enjoyed.you don't have to use the taxidermy route I'm sure a model,Lego man would suffice.
sonjaiv 31 Jan 2016
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

We have built a small one in the backyard under a roof extension that "slides" off a small stone shed.
sonjaiv 31 Jan 2016
In reply to Lusk:

Isn't the top of Scafell Pike already littered with lumps?
sonjaiv 31 Jan 2016
In reply to Orgsm:

Ummm ...
sonjaiv 31 Jan 2016
In reply to Wsdconst:

Umm ... my attitudes to taxidemy are changing.
Thanks.
sonjaiv 31 Jan 2016
In reply to Bulls Crack:

I agree. But sometimes I think about Picasso saying (I've been told) "I steal ideas", or words to that effect.
 Bulls Crack 31 Jan 2016
In reply to sonjaiv:

Fair enough!

My idea: a series of co-ordinates and grid refs etc for Mt Everest - because it's there
 Greasy Prusiks 31 Jan 2016
In reply to sonjaiv:

Maybe look at free soloing? When we solo we are both on the edge of death and paradoxically at our most alive. Is a free solo similar to a lion tamer putting his head into a lions mouth? An exercise in control?

I'm not going to give you any ideas about what to put on paper but perhaps some of those questions are worth exploring?
 john arran 31 Jan 2016
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

Why put anything on paper? Surely this is a perfect opportunity to explore the medium of 'performance art'?
 Greasy Prusiks 31 Jan 2016
In reply to john arran:

Now there's an idea...

Or just an excuse for some climbing
 Brass Nipples 31 Jan 2016
In reply to sonjaiv:

> Ummm ...

Come on you must have some ideas or you are not going to go very far with your art.
Lusk 31 Jan 2016
In reply to sonjaiv:

> Isn't the top of Scafell Pike already littered with lumps?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/environment/tourism/11496376/Artist-w...

Created a bit of a UKC furore at the time!
sonjaiv 06 Feb 2016
In reply to Bulls Crack:

OK. Thank you. I've been away from RockTalk for a few day merging some art ideas of my own with some stolen ones!
sonjaiv 06 Feb 2016

Yep ... I'm thinking of a soloing component.
sonjaiv 06 Feb 2016
In reply to john arran:

Yep ... I'm looking at that too. Thank you.
sonjaiv 06 Feb 2016

Yes! This project is an excuse for more climbing!!!!!!!!! Primary research in the Pyrenees next week and Scotland at the end of February.

sonjaiv 06 Feb 2016
In reply to Orgsm:

I tend to have lots of ideas. It's a question of narrowing it down. I have now almost finished committing myself, that is, I have now nearly written a proposal. Thank you.
sonjaiv 06 Feb 2016
In reply to Lusk:

Well, I've read the Telegraph article. Interesting. Talking about categories, two people above have mentioned Everest. Thank you.
 Sean Kelly 06 Feb 2016
In reply to sonjaiv:

Body shapes are quite unique to climbing. think what we witness out bouldering or at the wall. Out of focus images or drawing fast to capture the movement within these shapes. Then develop into painting/sculpture/abstraction etc.
sonjaiv 06 Feb 2016
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Thank you. Yep! I've been doing the "drawing fast" at the wall this week. I am interested in the rest (abstraction/sculpture/painting) and taking them, possibly into animation which is something new for me.
 Sean Kelly 06 Feb 2016
In reply to sonjaiv:

Soft animation, not jerky, to capture that essential effortless movement that we see in talented climbers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...