UKC

Where to get US Maps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ebdon 04 Feb 2016
I Know the US release all there topo maps online (primarily through the USGS) - but there website isn't very user friendly and you cant download decent images for large areas, - does anyone have some tips or have used other good websites to download decent quilts maps? I've ended up using screengrabs from topozone before but the resolution was crap.
 Tony the Blade 04 Feb 2016
In reply to ebdon:

I have no idea about US mapping, but have you looked at www.dash4it.co.uk

OP ebdon 04 Feb 2016
In reply to Tony the Blade:
Cheers, alas I don't think they make a commercial printed map of where I'm looking at (juneau ice field) I can see what I want on the usgs website I just need a way of downloding it at sufficient resolution!
 BStar 04 Feb 2016
In reply to ebdon:
You can get them on Memory Maps digital map shop however you do have to pay for them. $10 a state if I remember rightly. I think they do a try before you buy thing too so you might be able to see it without paying to make sure it is what you want
Post edited at 15:47
OP ebdon 04 Feb 2016
In reply to BStar:

It transpires you can download georectifed images from both the usgs and nrcan (for canada) so I think with some tinkering I can make my own sheets for free
 rpc 04 Feb 2016
In reply to ebdon:

I've used these guys quite a bit (but it's been a few years):

http://www.mytopo.com/

They rely on the USGS database but you can customize the area you're interested in (size, scale, shading, UTM grids etc) instead of having to buy multiple paper maps of various quads & can have it printed on a tear-proof, water-resistant "paper". Quite nice.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...