UKC

Any knowledge on 'Sealing pliers' and / or technical drawings?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 04 Feb 2016
I have a translation to do for tomorrow morning, and it is lots of technical stuff about sealing pliers. I am a bit stuck on a few of the terms on the technical drawings, and I'm not sure if they are general engineering terms or if they are specific to the product. I know UKC is full of people with fascinatingly interesting jobs, so maybe someone here can help me?! Let me know if this is your speciality please!!
OP girlymonkey 04 Feb 2016
In reply to girlymonkey:

Yep, not the most common area of expertise I guess. Just going to give it a bump anyway, just incase!
 arch 04 Feb 2016
In reply to girlymonkey:

We use sealing pliers at work. We use them to crimp a seal onto steel wire so as stop people tampering with the Electricity cut out
and meter.
 jimtitt 04 Feb 2016
In reply to girlymonkey:

Watched a guy using a pair to re-seal my water meter today, didn´t think it looked that fascinating a subject though!
In reply to arch:

Great! What would you call the 'pads' that actually do the squishing of the seal? (If I have explained that properly?!)
In reply to jimtitt:

It's certainly not fascinating, but it pays the bills! I prefer it to other ones that I have had to do about makeup or fashion stuff!
 Billy the fish 04 Feb 2016
In reply to girlymonkey:

They would be called a "crimp" and the pliers are "crimpers" which are manual, ratcheting or hydraulic depending on the force required
 deepsoup 04 Feb 2016
In reply to girlymonkey:
> Great! What would you call the 'pads' that actually do the squishing of the seal? (If I have explained that properly?!)

I think they would be 'dies' plural, and each one would be a 'die'. It's possible that I'm wrong though, and its the pair of them together that are the die.
In reply to deepsoup:

Thanks for the help folks, 'die' seems to be the agreed term from the retailers of these devices. I love the information you can find out from UKC!
 jkarran 04 Feb 2016
In reply to girlymonkey:

> Great! What would you call the 'pads' that actually do the squishing of the seal? (If I have explained that properly?!)

Dies or jaws probably
Jk
 arch 05 Feb 2016
In reply to girlymonkey:
Our sealing pliers come complete. The "Squasy" bits are integrated into them with individual numbers on them, so as to identify each pair to the user (Should you be fiddling your own meter)

We use other compression tools which are battery powered. They have interchangeable Dies which do the "Squashing" These aren't sealing pliers though.

These.

http://www.klauke.com/katalog/en/ek-120-42-l-11995/

And these.

http://www.specialized.net/Specialized/MD6-Burndy-HYTOOL-Hand-Operated-Cabl...
Post edited at 07:48

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...