UKC

Rocks on Vera

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Al Evans 08 Feb 2016
Where are those rocks/Cave that the latest 'Vera' are filmed, I assume it is in Northumberland somewhere?
 Ian Parsons 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Al Evans:

Hi Al

It looks like a spot that appeared on (I think) one of Tony Robinson's walking programmes, possibly a cave wherein some monks bearing bones - perhaps those of St Columba, or somesuch - sought shelter for the night. It was a bit inland from Lindisfarne, if I recall.
 Martin Hore 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Ian Parsons:

> Hi Al

> It looks like a spot that appeared on (I think) one of Tony Robinson's walking programmes, possibly a cave wherein some monks bearing bones - perhaps those of St Columba, or somesuch - sought shelter for the night. It was a bit inland from Lindisfarne, if I recall.

Likely to be St Cuthbert's cave or Holburn Cave as per https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Cuthbert%27s_Cave

Not far from Kyloe / Kyloe in the Woods.

Martin
OP Al Evans 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Martin Hore:

I thought it looked like a good bouldering proposition?
 SteveSBlake 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Martin Hore:
It is indeed St Cuthbert's Cave about a mile North along the escarpment from Back Bowden. It has a selection of short routes but never made it into any guide because of perceived sensitivities about the site. Meanwhile it has become a regular campsite for Chavs. (Along with the even bigger cave further along at Cockenheugh.)

It features on the St Cuthbert's way, and is a stop off point for pilgrims, lots of votive candles get left there. It is also consecrated ground, with either remains buried or ashes scattered somewhere in the vicinity. There are details of the deceased inscribed on the boulders in front of the crag.

The site is now owned by the NT, it's particularly attractive at Easter when Daffodils flower on each side of the avenue of trees on the approach.

The diagram below dates back to 1990.

Steve

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208148444294607&set=gm.9379506229...
Post edited at 15:35
OP Al Evans 08 Feb 2016
In reply to SteveSBlake:

Thank you for the comprehensive report.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...