UKC

Do cats smell?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tyler 08 Feb 2016
I'm going to be renting my house out and the lady who wants to rent it has a 'house' cat. I've no idea how a house cat differs from other cats but my question is, what trouble can I expect from a tenant with a cat. I don't like them so was tempted to say no straight away but don't want to be rash.

Can cats be trained to stay downstairs like dogs or are they almost certain to wander upstairs?
Do they leave behind impossible to get rid of hair?
Do they leave behind an impossible to get rid of smell?
Do they pee and shit all over the place or are they guaranteed to only go in a cat litter?

She tells me it has its own scratching pole which it uses, to be honest I hadn't thought about the scratching until she mentioned it!
In reply to Tyler:

Scratching is likely to be the issue if anything - but just write into the agreement that any cat-related damage is paid for by her.

As for smell, mine does some mean-ass farts!
Doug Kerr 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Tyler:

Is the cat male or female? Has it been neutered?

Does the prospective tenant live locally? If yes and you are letting your house out privately I'd been inclined to pay her a surprise visit, you'll then see for yourself if her cat is smelly.

balmybaldwin 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Tyler:

Generally a house cat will go where it pleases (even if only when it can't be seen). Unless old and infirm, litter trays work well.

As housecats don't get out much, they tend to be much softer, couch potato type animals so don't go mental occasionally the way an outdoors cat kept inside might just to run off some steam

They don't leave hard to get rid of smells.

they will scratch at things so get a damage clause written in. and they will leave hair everywhere, but provided the house is cleaned regularly this shouldn't be an issue for you as a landlord.

If you are bending the rules to allow the cat in, the chances are you'll get a decent tenant that want's to keep you sweet
Gone for good 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Tyler:

I would say house cats are a safe bet. I have 2 cats that spend the majority of time outside and on the unfortunate occasions when they are locked in the house for more than 8 hours they do tend to pis* and shi* a lot.
I've always taken the view that its not their fault (being locked in) although they used to hide in the airing cupboard and were once locked in there for 3 days. Surprisingly they only peed on some sheets but must have eaten all their crap.

House cats tend to be trained to use a litter and a scratching pole and you will soon notice if they haven't
Put up cheap living room curtains and cheap settees. Thats what they will scratch the most.
I have never noticed a cat smell in the house so unless your prospective tenant is a secret crazy cat woman its unlikely you will either.
 Sir Chasm 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Tyler:
Can cats be trained to stay downstairs like dogs or are they almost certain to wander upstairs?

They can't be trained.

Some do.

Some do.

Do they pee and shit all over the place or are they guaranteed to only go in a cat litter?

Some do.
J1234 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Tyler:

I think they smell and this is your typical cat owner youtube.com/watch?v=BcmM4PJiT-w&
In reply to Tyler:

Closed doors do the trick.

No, but the amount will depend on the breed.

I have a cat and I cannot smell her at all, unless she goes in her tray which gets cleaned. Cat no2s stink like the devils arse crack though

No, no and if trained, yes. Mine has only had accidents when ill or if she gets accidentally locked in a room when we go out because she has found a warm spot.

She tells me it has its own scratching pole which it uses, to be honest I hadn't thought about the scratching until she mentioned it!

Hmm, this is a tough one. Mine has a pole but she will still give the stairs a going over when she plays. If we dont spot her in time, she will have a cheery go at a chair and then she gets a shoe.
 veteye 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Tyler:

They may be inclined to scratch thicker wallpaper such as Anaglypta(spelling?)
If the woman only has one cat then it should use it's litter tray, unless she does not empty it frequently enough.
The other thing that my cats do is vomit, with or without fur balls(which lodge in the gut until vomited up). Usually this is in the kitchen soon after eating either due to said hair balls or due to pure greed and rapidity of eating.(A reflux vomiting)
One cat should be alright,but it is more dependent on the type of cat owner than the cat. If she lives on her own, she probably spends much of her life with the cat and deals with its problems at an early stage.
Andy Gamisou 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Tyler:

Onto our umpteenth cat (and umpteenth dog). I can never understand landlords paranoia with either species. Peoples children are much more destructive (and smelly) than either in my experience. Cats always much prefer doing their business in a cat tray. In about 80 combined cat years I've only had one cat related incident, and that was because she was 22 years old and on her last legs.
 Timmd 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Tyler:
A relatives' house often smells 'of cat', but I don't know how much that has to do with how cleanly they both are as a couple, looking for things down their sofa cushions unearths quite a lot of crumbs and house dust etc.

I'm being something of a hypocrite writing the above about sofa cushions, but it might have something to do with the cat smells...
Post edited at 17:02
 Jenny C 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Tyler:
We bought a house of someone who had a cat and yes there was a "caty smell" about the house this was soon masked by a much stronger doggy smell thanks to our two springers.

It took me ages to get rid of all the cat hairs - curtains were covered with them (where clearly the cat presumably liked to sit on the window sill) and it took several washes plus aggressive vacuuming to get rid of all traces. As someone with a mild cat allergy this was a problem as whenever I drew the curtains it set me off sneezing.

Litter trays smell, MIL had house cats and the room the tray is in sticks - yes regular emptying would improve things, but an open tray containing shit is never going to be exactly nice.

I would certainly make it clear in the tenancy agreement that you will charge for any damage caused by the cat, possibly increasing the deposit to cover this. Another thing I would seriously consider is stating that all carpets (and caty curtains) must be professionally cleaned to remove traces of cat hair when they move out.

As has been said above, TBH the amount of damage caused by a cat (or dog) is often less than that caused by a careless child. We had a nightmare finding somewhere to rent with dogs but when we moved out there was no deductible damage caused by them.
Post edited at 17:09
 malky_c 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Tyler:

Our cats enjoy pulling up and shredding the corners of fitted carpets, particularly by certain doors. I'm now wondering why we bothered paying to have new carpets fitted when we moved in!

Beds and couches both get more of a scratching than the scratching post, but it doesn't show up in the same way as the carpets do.

One cat periodically leaves a turd behind the front door so when you open it from the outside, it gets mashed into the carpet. Tends to be if we leave her too long on her own though.

Unfortunately I have failed to arrange an 'accident' for either of them (where they end up concreted into the foundations of the new houses being built round about).
 Dax H 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Tyler:

We have 3 house cats and one that comes and goes.
3 Tom's and 1 female.

Scratching? Yes, all of them scratch just about everything they can despite scratching posts all over the house.

Smell? A tiny bit but good housekeeping keeps it away.

Hair? All 4 are general moggies, 3 hardly shed at all but one is a furry demon, he sleeps on the landing and you can clean the burgundy carpet in the morning and it looks like a white blanket by teatime.

Pee? Of the 3 house cats 2 only ever use the tray but 1 despite being neutered has spent the last 10 years spraying round the house on walls, carpet and furniture and yes it stinks.

Poo, the only one that poo's outside of the tray is the outdoor cat, occasionally he will hide in the house when we go out and sometimes we come back to a nice surprise, he will not ever use the litter tray because the others gang up on him when he goes in to the cupboard to use it.

We also rented a house to a family member with 2 house cats, they pissed everywhere and when she moved out I had to replace every carpet and underlay it took around 2 weeks of bleaching the floorboards twice a day to get rid of the smell.

That said my new tennents keep a very clean and tidy house and approached me late last year about the no pets clause in the lease and they now have a cracking little kitten.
I will take a good tennent with a cat over a bad tennent anyday.
Moley 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Tyler:

This house we bought had a couple of cats in it (previous owner), it was only after we moved in that we found where they had been pissing. Under the stairs, a corner of the kids bedroom, ditto our bedroom etc. We had to cut the sections of carpet out and chuck them or renew, it had obviously been an on-going problem.
I have no idea why, but the lady owner and her son were good people and I can't believe negligent in cat care.
In answer to your question, I don't know, but it can happen.
 Babika 08 Feb 2016
> I will take a good tennent with a cat over a bad tennent anyday.

I think this is the nub of it.
Go with your instincts on the tenant, not the pet. If you rent your house you have to expect some wear and tear so just relax and be glad that someone is paying you to look after the place rather than leave it cold, empty and costing money to keep vacant!
 Trangia 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Tyler:

Having owned cats in the past, although mine were outdoor cats with a chip operated cat flap, I agree with much that has been written on this thread.

Cats can be trained....to an extent! I have managed to train cats not to go into certain areas like upstairs or to jump up on the kitchen worktops, they can also be trained to use a litter tray, and they understand and will obey so long as it suits them! Then after months or years of being fine they can suddenly have a relapse of discipline!! This is usually triggered by some external event (eg being frightened by something) or a change in routine (eg you stay out all night, or have guest to stay)

I stopped owning cats a few years go when my 18 year old moggy sadly went to the Happy Hunting Ground, and since then I have developed a hay fever allergy which is triggered by proximity to cats or someone who owns one or has had one rubbing against their clothes. It's a strange allergy but very inconvenient. Only the other day I gave a lift to a cat owning friend and by the end of a 15 min drive my eyes were itching and streaming, and I was sneezing uncontrollably. Within about half an hour of her getting out of the car I was back to normal. I get this reaction if I go to a cat owner's house, but it's the first time I have got it from being in proximity of a cat owner's clothes.

So be aware that unless you get the curtains and carpets, and furniture if it's a furnished let, steam cleaned at the end, you may find anyone with such an allergy, such as a new tenant, will suffer.

Just a thought.

The Lemming 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Tyler:

I enter a lot of pet owner's houses. Most dog owner's houses don't tend to smell of pets. Cat owner's, houses, in the main, can compete with most piss smelling nursing homes.

Its an acrid piss smell that seeps into your soul.
 EddInaBox 08 Feb 2016
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> As housecats don't get out much, they tend to be much softer, couch potato type animals so don't go mental occasionally the way an outdoors cat kept inside might just to run off some steam...

youtube.com/watch?v=l5ODwR6FPRQ&
 Trangia 08 Feb 2016
In reply to The Lemming:
As this thread is about cats I didn't refer to dogs, but I am afraid I strongly disagree with you. When I was working my job entailed frequently (almost daily) going into dog owners' homes.

Dogs stink a lot more than cats, as do the houses they live in.

To be fair and balanced so do some humans! There were a number of times where peoples' poor personal hygiene forced me out into the outdoors gagging.
Post edited at 18:36
 mike123 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Tyler:
As above , a good tenant with a cat or dog is fine . I ve let several times to people with both . I used to say that the tenants had to have the carpets and any soft furniture professionally cleaned at the end of the tenancy but this led to confusion on a couple of occasions ( my uncles mates mate used to.... etc etc ) so now I have a down the line rule , £150 non refundable upfront cleaning fee . This pays for the cleaners I use to go in for the best part of a day with a big blue steam / detergent cleaner, can't remember the brand but it cost him 3 or 4 k . After which , no smell . I reckon you could hire a similar one yourself in city but around here the carpet cleaners you can hire out are pants.
 Sharp 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Tyler:

Yes, they can be trained in the sense that you can rearrange your wants and needs to meet the expectations of the cat's. i.e. closing the upstairs door will be a sucessful training method. We've trained ours to not drink out of our glass of water at night by leaving two or three extra glasses of water on the floor for her, the art of cat training in action.
No
Depends your next question
It depends on the cat.
 jkarran 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Tyler:

The cat will do as it pleases, you can't train them. All shed hair. Some smell and are dirty, others aren't. It can get worse with age. You might find a favorite windowsill or annoying kitchen door accumulates scratches. I personally wouldn't worry about it but then I have a dog and a very tatty house, just make sure the deposit covers deep cleaning the place* if it's left dirty and damaged and that you agree the condition it's to be left in in the contract.

*worst case a new carpet which goes for all tenants, not just those with a cat, anyone can spill wine or drop an iron.
jk
In reply to Tyler:
As others have said, a good tenant is a better than a bad tenant regardless of pets. I'd take a woman with a cat and a good track record over some of my petless friends any day of the week. I still cannot believe what a mess people of 30y/o+ can live in.
Post edited at 09:39
 Dauphin 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Sir Chasm:

Anything with a nervous system no more complex than as a snail can learn, so a cat can certainly be trained. I've seen them perform in a circus. Most cat people don't have the time or inclination.

D
Andrew Kin 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Tyler:

How long is a piece of string.

You have seen the tv programmes right. Where people let their cats and dogs crap all over the house. Guess what, i bet those houses stink.

We have a house cat. She produces the most unpleasant odours when she has a toilet break (In her litter tray). Once its been cleaned up it doesnt smell at all. I would put money on my house being cleaner than 99% of the rest on here. Not because my cat is really well trained or clean. Its because my wife is a clean freak.

So rather than ask how clean a cat is, i would ask what the cleanliness standards are of the owner. Thats what will effect things
In reply to Thelittlesthobo:

> So rather than ask how clean a cat is, i would ask what the cleanliness standards are of the owner. Thats what will effect things

Precisely.
 Sir Chasm 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Dauphin:

Sure, and if what you're training your cat to do happens to coincide with what it was going to damn well do anyway you can convince yourself it's trained.
 Roadrunner5 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Tyler:

No, ours don't anyway. 2 large cats. Their litter box does but generally less smelly than dogs, especially if its been cut, and not an outside cat. They often molt but that's just a cleaning fee that you typically pay as a renter with a pet. We do anyway, the landlords say we can have pets if we pay for cleaners when we move out which seems fair enough.
Jim C 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Tyler:

I'm generally able to tell if a home has cats or dogs, without seeing or hearing them. I would assume most people can.

By the same token I can usually tell if there has been someone smoking in a house, or if speaking with someone, if they are a smoker.

Al Evans 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Jim C:

I had two house cats, they were both very good about going in the litter tray but of course with two you had to clean it regularly. I used to keep the litter tray out on a balcony and leave the sliding door slightly open so they would always get to it. Of course this is an easier option living in Spain than the UK.
I found with the hair that it was not too bad, and one of those grooming brushes with the short steel spines easily got rid of any stray hair.
OP Tyler 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Tyler:

Thanks everyone, plenty of food for thought, although my main thought is why would anyone own a cat!
Doug Kerr 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Tyler:

Cats don't have owners they just have staff
 Dauphin 15 Feb 2016
Taff2509 16 Feb 2016
In reply to Tyler:

I have a cat and he is well trained in the pee and poo department!! When he was a kitten 4months old and missed the tray I would put him in the shower for a few seconds!!! After a while he never missed the tray since lol as for smells she should clean the litter everyday or you could install a flap at her cost. There is nothing like watching your own cat smiling at you while curling one out in next doors veg beds
 Sir Chasm 16 Feb 2016
In reply to Dauphin:

That's excellent! So if I want to train a cat all I need is 5 women in leotards and the cat will do what I want about 15% of the time.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...