UKC

wifi CCTV

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Bellie 09 Feb 2016
I'm looking to get some CCTV installed with recording capability. Due to location I'll need the cameras to be wifi, not hardwired. Anyone with knowledge of this. I can see plenty of hardwired camera kits with a DVR, but not the wifi equivalent... or will I need software to add to my mac, rather than a DVR. The wifi ones seem to have apps to view on smartphones, but not recording.

Any help appreciated.

In reply to Bellie:

One of my clients has this: https://www.y-cam.com/

That sorta thing?
 Stu Tyrrell 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Bellie:

Make sure you put up some CCTV warning signs, or it will be a waste of time, as in Skelmersdale stolen lawn, police unable to use footage.
 Rob Parsons 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Bellie:

> I'm looking to get some CCTV installed with recording capability. Due to location I'll need the cameras to be wifi, not hardwired.

How are you proposing to power them?

If you're using mains power, then ethernet-over-powerline gadgets could provide 'normal' wired networking.

Dave B 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Stu Tyrrell:

Only if it covers beyond your property. The guidance on this is quite explicit.
Bellie 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Bellie:

Thanks for the replies. The Y cams look interesting - if expensive... I'll need a few.

The area is some stables. But at least one will be across a yard so would need to reach the DVR box wirelessly. Powered but on different circuits.
 Mark Edwards 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Bellie:

I have some Foscam WiFi cameras monitored by a program called Blue Iris.
Blue Iris is excellent, Foscam cameras are best avoided, as they are OK if you manage to get good ones but most seem to be crap (2 out of 5 never a problem, the other 3 had to be replaced on numerous occasions when they just failed to work, packed up or bricked on an update).
You can get a free copy of Blue Iris limited to one camera and when you figure out all the built in options is well worth the money for the full version.
 Rob Parsons 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Bellie:

> The area is some stables. But at least one will be across a yard so would need to reach the DVR box wirelessly. Powered but on different circuits.

Ok, thanks. You could still 'decouple' the problem by considering two (or more) wired network segments linked by wireless bridges. That is: you don't necessarily need an 'all-in-one' solution provided by the cameras themselves.

Happy to help/think further, but I've no direct experience with CCTV devices.
 Mike Highbury 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Stu Tyrrell:

> Make sure you put up some CCTV warning signs, or it will be a waste of time, as in Skelmersdale stolen lawn, police unable to use footage.

That's really interesting, yes, seriously. Do you have a link or something to the Information Commissioner's judgement here?
 Stu Tyrrell 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Mike Highbury:

Well since this report, one has been sentenced to 3 months, but not sure if it was because of the CCTV or someone came forward as a witness. It is interesting as they knew who they were at the time??
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-28883195
 Martin W 10 Feb 2016
In reply to Stu Tyrrell:

Quite possibly related to what Dave B stated: that you need signage if the CCTV covers areas outside your won property. In the turf theft case the CCTV belonged to a neighbour of the victim, so footage of something happening on his neighbour's property may well not have been admissible.
 Stu Tyrrell 10 Feb 2016
In reply to Martin W:

Yes I think that is it, bit daft though, what if it was a murder........

Bellie 10 Feb 2016
In reply to Bellie:

I think I might be able to now pole mount a camera high enough above the stables to cover the drive and field entrances. I can then use a wired system by having three cameras inside the stables, and the one high mounted one, if I then hide the DVR box within the stable block. I'll see if I'm able to create a wifi bridge with a spare router - to the range extender and on to my main router. That way I should have the best of both worlds - recorded footage...and a live stream available from an app.

Or... I shell out for the more expensive internal + external ycam option with cloud storage.

Something to think about for this weekend! oh and I won't forget the signage.

Cheers all.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...