UKC

Mossdale Caverns

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Simon Beck 10 Feb 2016

Mossdale Caverns a Cave that for many needs little introduction and a venue never far from controversy. Pete Livesey was an early visitor of this cave and named a route at Goredale Scar after the place, a trip and in memory of those who died there in 1967..

I myself have been visiting Mossdale for more than a decade and have long written about and shared my exploits.. This piece and the series I am attempting has been many years in the coming. Many people have been opposed to me sharing my adventures in Mossdale and aside from inspiring myself and others, I write and share this mainly for their sake.. The quieter they are the louder I will be...

http://simonbeck.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/marathon-obsession-1-live-through-t...
Post edited at 07:21
 full stottie 10 Feb 2016
In reply to Simon Beck:

A fine piece of writing Simon, deeply evocative of the cave that took those lives. I won't forget that day in '67 - it had a huge effect on me and my friends, one of whom was very nearly on the fatal trip. It was also the first time I became aware of the power of the tabloid press in distorting and feeding on tragedy.

Dave
Removed User 10 Feb 2016
In reply to Simon Beck:

I enjoyed reading your article but I suspect that few people on this site will have been born when the deaths occurred in 1967 nor would they understand the publicity it received at the time as "the worst ever caving accident". One of the cavers that died, Bill Frakes was a good friend of ours and although I was a climber and paddler and not a caver the accident badly affected all of the outdoor people in West Yorkshire at the time. Because their bodies were not recovered, most people were happy that the cave was sealed but I suspect that it was inevitable that there would be pressure to re-open it but I was pleased that prior agreement was obtained from their relatives and a suitable place found to bury their remains.
 full stottie 10 Feb 2016
In reply to Removed UserMike Rhodes:

You're right Mike, and I keep forgetting that age profile. Maybe if anyone is interested enough they could take a look at these links.

Dave

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b009fwy6

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/what-lies-beneath-mossdal...
>
Post edited at 19:17
 Bobling 10 Feb 2016
In reply to Simon Beck:

Great read, thanks.
 Greenbanks 11 Feb 2016
In reply to Simon Beck:

A really great read - it really took me underground, summoning up all of the fears and spectres that lurk around in my mind about caving. The focus on Mossdale was potent and chilling.

Thank you for posting it here
 james mann 11 Feb 2016
In reply to Simon Beck:

My dad was a member of the northern pennine and was also a member of Leeds cro. He was in the sixth form at the time of the incident and was up in the dales caving on the day. He was involved in the incident up until the coroner sealed off the cave. It made a massive lasting impression that will never leave him. It was only relatively recently that he told me about it in detail.

James
 Bobling 11 Feb 2016
In reply to Bobling:

I thought I'd post again to say this has been with me overnight, very compelling writing. Thanks again.
 Mick Ward 11 Feb 2016
In reply to Simon Beck:

'Some of us will forever be governed by the sensations we have long sought, collected and experienced throughout our lives. Some of these sensations are so addictive that we never break free of the need to continually pursue them...'

Absolutely. The rat must be fed - even if feeding it means the death of the host body.

Wonderful stuff. Thank you so much for putting it on here.

Mick
 pneame 11 Feb 2016
In reply to Simon Beck:

Somewhat chilling - there's a particular loneliness to solo caving, as exemplified by your diving video:
youtube.com/watch?v=gCqViU_INpI&

And a cave containing so much tragedy. Brrrr.
While solo climbing was something that I enjoyed in my youth, I'm not sure I'd ever have had the guts to solo cave!
Simon Beck 11 Feb 2016
In reply to pneame:
Thanks for all the positive feedback, makes the effort required to write them more than worth it..

Post edited at 16:13
 james mann 11 Feb 2016
In reply to Simon Beck:

I sent my dad a link to your piece. He enjoyed it and sent me a picture of the rescue teams being talked to by the coroner. Dad is stood next to the coroner in the white helmet. Have uploaded the picture to my gallery.

James
 Greenbanks 11 Feb 2016
In reply to pneame:
Agree - I've just looked at that YouTube clip. Terrifying. Bloody hell - 30 or 40 ft above gear with a crux move to come? Give me that any day.
In reply to Simon Beck:

Can I offer an alternative view? Will you eff off and stop giving me nightmares.

(I know after reading this that some point over the next few days I'll have my own nightmares about caving - it is good to read about other incidents )
Simon Beck 12 Feb 2016
In reply to Greenbanks:

I was a climber long before Caving took over and believe me being 30-40ft + above gear is no less terrifying.. You adapt and accept what ever is necessary to achieve, something easier said than done.
Simon Beck 12 Feb 2016
In reply to james mann:

Thanks for sharing the picture James.
 james mann 12 Feb 2016
In reply to Simon Beck:

No problem Simon. He apparently has a scrapbook with various photographs and cuttings in from the rescue.

https://ukc2.com/i/271111.jpg

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...