UKC

Car Hire Insurance in Spain, Alicante

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 annieman 10 Feb 2016

I'm going walking in Costa Blanca in a few weeks. I've hired a car from Alicante Airport. Can I arrange insurance in the UK to cover the costs that are not covered by the basic hire car insurance? TIA
Post edited at 16:00
 1poundSOCKS 10 Feb 2016
In reply to annieman:

I got extra insurance as an annual policy, so I can get cheap hire cars with massive excesses, and not have to worry. Got it from insurance4carhire.com.
 climbingpixie 10 Feb 2016
In reply to annieman:

Even if you buy extra insurance, if it's not through the car hire company (which is always a rip off) they will want to put a hold on your credit card for the value of their excess (up to £1k) so make sure you have enough available credit on the credit card of the main driver!
 cha1n 10 Feb 2016
In reply to annieman:

Hired 2 cars in Spain last year and used an annual excess waiver policy like 1£ described. Didn't have any problems with them wanting to hold the full excess, think it was a few hundred euros.
 Trangia 10 Feb 2016
In reply to annieman:

Do not touch Goldcar with a barge board! They screwed us for pre-existing damage which we hadn't noticed when we picked the car up having landed at night. I know we didn't do it but even though we reported it when we saw it they said we should have reported it when we picked the car up.

Unfortunately we had declined their excess insurance.

Thereafter I have always used insurance4carhire.
OP annieman 10 Feb 2016
In reply to annieman:

Thank you for your responses. I'll be following up on them.
 Fraser 10 Feb 2016
In reply to annieman:

Another recommendation for a hire company to avoid is Dickmanns (I hired from valencia airport.)

I returned the car on 12th December, and I've still to see my 950 euro deposit. I've now passed this to my credit card company.

I also used insurance4carhire.com as mentioned above.
 Jennie 10 Feb 2016
I went with Solmar and they will try to catch you out. I had my own excess insurance and thought that I'd be able pay for the remainder of hire of the car on my debit card and put the excess hold on my credit card. They refused to do this and said it had to all go on my credit card if I wasn't going to take their full insurance package, bugger was that took me over my credit limit, so the only way to sort it all out was to take out their insurance. I was a bit stuffed as it was approaching midnight and I was travelling alone so coughed up

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...