UKC

VIDEO: Gamma Group: Climbing into your 80's

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 10 Feb 2016
Gamma Group, 4 kbOver the hill? The wrong side of 40? Too many birthdays? Age is often used as an excuse to slow down and pursue less adventurous activities. However, this group of climbers depicted in a video by Kamil Jutkiewicz are refusing to be defined by their age: the oldest member is 84 years-old, having climbed for over 60 years.

Read more
 Bulls Crack 10 Feb 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Truly inspiring. I'm looking forward to being there...not necessarily at Westway though!
In reply to UKC News:

As a mid 50 year old climber with some 36+ yrs climbing behind me it's great to see some of the old guard still at it... Hopefully I can emulate their enthusiasm and vigour in the coming years. (Incidentally - I still climb with my original climbing partner from when we were 16 ish .. A partnership of some 36+ yrs.)

Well done to all

Ramon Marin 11 Feb 2016
In reply to UKC News:

I see these fellas at the wall regularly and they have such a cool attitude and always a laugh. I want to be like them when Im old, really inspiring!
 denis b 11 Feb 2016
In reply to UKC News:

What a great good news story and well worth promoting as an example of people helping themselves. The social element of the climbing is great to see.
 Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 11 Feb 2016
In reply to UKC News:

We have a similar group up in North Wales, they are an inspiration to me. As I hope to still be as active as they are at 80!
In reply to UKC News:
I climb with an informal group of old guys but we have renamed ourselves Veteran Athletes. We even persuaded the Development Officer for the wall to give us a coaching session!
In reply to UKC News:

We went to Kendal wall last Tue afternoon and the average age must have been 60. LOL Can't they lock them in the retirement homes ?
 flopsicle 11 Feb 2016
In reply to UKC News:

As someone who started out in my 40s - 3 yrs in to climbing and I already owe my elders a great deal. An extremely knowledgeable 74yr old turns out each week to belay me (does this for others too!), he is unceasingly encouraging and has allowed me an enormous amount of time to tackle leading despite my being nervous. He's belayed me for 2 hrs + each week for over a yr so far. Mike doesn't climb any more though.

I'm really lucky that the local wall attracts older climbers, not sure if all of those I feel I owe would welcome a mention in this context but I've benefited more than I could ever really add up. One older climber was someone I'd admired for their style from when I first started, 3 weeks ago he praised my technical ability - which blew me over more than winning the old ducks bouldering!

Enough mush! The world's a better place and I wouldn't want to have a wall without a strong old guard to make it complete.
 IanMcC 11 Feb 2016
In reply to Eduardo Martinez:

Nah, they abseil out the care home windows
 Rick Graham 11 Feb 2016
In reply to Eduardo Martinez:

> We went to Kendal wall last Tue afternoon and the average age must have been 60.

Hey, I was there on Tuesday.

TBH the average age is well over 60, they just don't look it.

Paul Troon 12 Feb 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Brilliant i am still young at 58 and hope to be climbing running till the silver cord is loosed or the golden bowl is broken. Or the pitcher shattered at the well. Then dust will return to the earth as it was and the spirit will return to God who gave it
Removed User 12 Feb 2016
In reply to Mark Reeves:

I called in at The Beacon one Friday in December to meet some old friends and was amazed by the number of older climbers, Now I am nearly 68 and felt one of the youngest there. They still exuded a sense of fun and took time to have a break, cup of tea and a bit of cake before cranking it out a bit more. It's what climbing is about!
 Pete Pozman 13 Feb 2016
In reply to Paul Troon:

Yeah! Me too.
peterstevens 09 Mar 2016
In reply to UKC News:
Inspiring article! I started rock climbing in 1961, first year at university--and last year I climbed 129 days while also leading 123 walks, for a total of 709 miles, with 212,530 feet of vertical gain. I lead walks three days a week, all year, and organize three rock climbing sessions a week as well--and have been on this schedule since retiring eight years ago. I'm often--but not always--the oldest climber at Vertical World Seattle, at age 73. Time to head to the climbing gym right now!
Post edited at 18:17

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...