UKC

Exploratory bouldering in Malawi

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 joshtee25 10 Feb 2016
So I'm going to be in Malawi in the summer. I've seen the excellent video of Melissa Le Neve and Ben Rueck finding some lines in 'Warm Heart of Africa' and I'd like to continue their good work of finding some new spots!
My main difficulties are:
- Bouldering pads. Sourcing them in country is pretty much a non starter, though I've been in touch with the one climbing wall in the country. So is it feasible to take a bouldering bad on a long haul flight? Maybe two?

- Remotely IDing potential venues. Google Earth is one option I'm exploring but it's time consuming, is there any other way?

- I've never put up a new line before. 'Cleaning' lines is something I've heard of but never done. Do I need any extra kit other than a couple of brushes?

Answers and suggestions will be gratefully received, adventure/climbing partners who fancy coming along are also more than welcome! If you're free for the first couple of weeks in August then come join!
 MrJared 11 Feb 2016
In reply to joshtee25:

I'm going to guess that you could take your mat but will have to pay the extra baggage cost for it. Probably worth checking with your airline(s)/travel agent to see if it comes under 'sporting equipment'
 Harri777 11 Feb 2016
In reply to joshtee25:

I would suggest getting in touch with the Mountain Club of Malawi. A good friend of mine lives in Blantyre and is an active member of the club. I'm sure they could advise on areas and logistics, and someone might even have a mat you could borrow. You might also find some partners that way.

If you have no luck contacting the club direct, drop me an email and I'll put you in touch with my mate.

I've been to Malawi a couple of times (not for climbing, but for some fairly remote expedition style stuff) so if you need any logistical advice I'm happy to help.
OP joshtee25 12 Feb 2016
In reply to Harri777:

Thanks, I've been in touch with the MCM and exchanged emails with a couple of the members. It seems like I may be able to borrow a mat off someone, though there aren't many floating around apparently!
I've passed on the information of the lines climbed by Ben and Melissa to the MCM as well, so hopefully this will help pique some interest!

The logistical advice may come in handy!
Having only been to West Africa before, I'm assuming renting a car is the best option? Public transport will probably be iffy! Plus the car can double as accommodation 👍
 Harri777 13 Feb 2016
In reply to joshtee25:

Yes, I would say renting a car is the best way if you want to get out in the wilds. I guess you'll want 4WD. However, it is surprisingly expensive, both for vehicle hire and fuel (I think petrol is now more expensive in Malawi than in the UK). Be prepared for plenty of road blocks at which you need to show your licence, and also for many, many speed traps. Also watch out for car hire places which only offer 3rd party insurance.
Not sure how well sleeping in the car will work. Malawi is densely populated so you can be pretty sure there will be people living all along most roads, and you will be an object of some interest. I imagine people will find it very odd that someone of your (comparatively) great wealth would sleep in his car, and although Malawi is generally quite safe it's possible you might have some security concerns. Haven't tried it though, so you might be fine.
Sounds like a great trip! Enjoy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...