UKC

Climbing with kids, Hebden Bridge area...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Aaron75 11 Feb 2016
Hello,

Suggestions, please, for crags around Hebden Bridge area with plenty of D's, VD's etc to take kids.

Up that way for half-term next week and don't know the area at all.

Many thanks,

Aaron
 UKC Forums 11 Feb 2016
This thread was started in the LOCAL AREAS forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

Rock Destinations
Rock climbing destinations Q&As. Interested in visiting a new rock climbing area? Having difficulties finding information? You are almost guaranteed that someone here will have been and can give you some pointers. It might be sun rock in Sardinia or sport routes in Switzerland. Where to stay, when to go, what routes to do.

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
 Offwidth 11 Feb 2016
In reply to Aaron75:

The best place is Woodhouse Scar reliable quick drying pretty sheltered a very good winter venue and with the bonus of some great low grade highballs below the crag you can stick a rope on if its a bit windy at the crag top. A nice local venue is the right-hand outcrops of Heptonstall Quarry which has some great routes from Mod upwards and faces west so dries quick in any sun (the best are on p.445 of the YMC guide). Both venues need careful supervision as the way down is a bit exposed and WS can have a bit of broken glass around.
OP Aaron75 11 Feb 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

Thanks very much. Very helpful.

dread-i 12 Feb 2016
In reply to Aaron75:

Check out Widdop and Bridestones (Kebs). Lots of bouldering of all grades and nice views at both. Widdop has routes as well. Bridestones has some highball problems but not much in the way of trad. You could try one then the other as they are not that far apart.
 Offwidth 12 Feb 2016
In reply to dread-i:

Bridestones is a tricky choice... hard to get info on it these days as people have trashed it so the guidebooks omit detail. Widdop has some nice easier bouldering mentioned for the first time in the new YMC guide... nothing on the routes is kid friendly. For bouldering with kids I'd, recommend Buckstones below the road (roadside on the A640 on the Huddesfield side of Denshaw). Another good venue for bouldering would be Blacktone Edge in the Lancs bouldering guide.
 jonathandavey 12 Feb 2016
In reply to Aaron75:
Right hand outcrop at Heptonstall. 2 minutes from the car park, 5 minutes from Hebden Bridge itself. Very quick drying, great views over the valley and plenty of nice routes for kids/beginners. Easy tree belays at the top and all the afternoon sun you could want. Also some nice stuff S-HS if they're doing well and fancy a challenge.

From the car park follow the path downhill then turn right to approach the crag from below (first bit of rock on your right). Descent is walking off to the left, but plenty of space at the top for them to hang around for you to supervise.
Post edited at 13:42
 Offwidth 12 Feb 2016
In reply to jonathandavey:

Have you climbed the newly listed stuff in YMC?
In reply to Offwidth:

> The best place is Woodhouse Scar.....right-hand outcrops of Heptonstall Quarry which has some great routes from Mod upwards...

I 'd say Woodhouse (Halifax) would be the better of the two. The low grade routes at Heptonstall right hand/natural edge are all steep and hard for the grade. You'll find more kid friendly routes at Woodhouse for certain.
 Offwidth 12 Feb 2016
In reply to Rylstone_Cowboy:
That was the case but they have been upgraded where required and a few starred routes added from Mod. Its why I was asking Jonathon if he had done them and if so what he thought of them.
Post edited at 15:45
 Scarab9 12 Feb 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

> Bridestones is a tricky choice... hard to get info on it these days as people have trashed it so the guidebooks omit detail. Widdop has some nice easier bouldering mentioned for the first time in the new YMC guide... nothing on the routes is kid friendly. For bouldering with kids I'd, recommend Buckstones below the road (roadside on the A640 on the Huddesfield side of Denshaw). Another good venue for bouldering would be Blacktone Edge in the Lancs bouldering guide.

Widdop will be green and sopping and a bog around the boulders at this time of year if past experience has been representative! I'd say Woodhouse Scar or Hep Quarry.

Bridestones is great and it's not too hard to get to parts of it if you know the right places, but it's not somewhere to be promoted as the stone is very worn and particularly if not bone dry deteriorates quickly, so it's locals only really.
 jonathandavey 12 Feb 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

Quite probably. I don't have the new ymc guides (yet), but have climbed all over those buttresses so will probably have done all the lister easy lines.
 Offwidth 13 Feb 2016
In reply to Scarab9:
I always found Widdop boulders OK in winter... it can be a bit boggy and it is a cold place as the sun barely hits them. T'other side of valley in any sun is nicer though.
Post edited at 08:26

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...