UKC

2017 Spine / Spine Challenger

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tall Clare 15 Feb 2016
So following the recent interview with the astonishing Javed Bhatti, which of you lovely (mad) people has a place for the 2017 Spine or Spine Challenger?
 Wonrek 15 Feb 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

No surprises.....me! Not doing the fun run though
In reply to Tall Clare:

Not me. But at lunch today a did put a pony on a donkey taking part in 2018
 r0b 15 Feb 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

Challenger for me
 Wonrek 16 Feb 2016
In reply to r0b:

Fun runner
 Roadrunner5 17 Feb 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:
Not until I've retired from the proper stuff...

The spine really appeals, that and the DB are in my to do list.

Like the 3 peaks yacht race, there's certain races I just want to do for the experience.
OP Tall Clare 17 Feb 2016
In reply to Wonrek:

I hope you won't mind me saying that you're not coming across as your most charming self here!

Mr TC is doing the Challenger. Given the complexities of training time (he also has a couple of Iron-distance triathlons coming up) and the support required for this sort of event, both around it and during (the latter if doing it supported, obviously!), fitting that around family commitments and a stressful job means that certainly for us, him doing week-long endurance events isn't really an option for the foreseeable future. He's looking forward to this though
In reply to Roadrunner5:

What's the DB?
In reply to Tall Clare:

Dragon Back?
In reply to bentley's biceps:

Ah, of course!
 The New NickB 17 Feb 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:
The Spine is an interesting challenge, but I don't really see it as a running race, in the way that the DB still just about manages to be. It's really about coping with sleep deprivation, looking after yourself physically and mentally and showing a lot of grit, whilst trying to primarily walk at a decent pace.

That is in no way a critisism, but even as someone with an interest in ultrarunning and a couple of events 100k+ planned this year, it doesn't really interest me at the moment.

I also live quite close to the route (40 or so miles in) and having seen competitors a few times, it looked grim as hell.

I would add that many at my running club are even less interested, even those that love those particular hills, but I think I can appreciate the mentality of those wanting to do it. It sort of reminds me of alpine moutaineering exploits.
Post edited at 09:12
 Wonrek 18 Feb 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

Hey, I did the fun run this year and couldn't have been prouder when I finished! Anyone calling a 108 mile footrace in the Pennines in January a 'fun run' is clearly deadly serious

The race logisitics aren't as daunting as they may seem. Obviously home logistics are personal to yourselves. Bring em along and have a family day out

I'm still burying my head in the sand re the logistics of the full race. I shall most definitely be unsupported this year, so in some ways that will simplify things but mean a heavier reliance on the race support itself.

<lalalalala!>

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...