UKC

Long exposure video

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 15 Feb 2016
A little long exposure photography video for anyone that's interested: http://www.viewbug.com/blog/video-master-long-exposure-landscape-photograph... (apologies for the bit of brand promotion).
 Fraser 15 Feb 2016
In reply to James Rushforth:

Thanks for this James, nice video and the filters look interesting. The 10 stop nd filter I bought a while back does always give a fair bit of vignetting but colour wise isn't too bad. Do most highly opaque filters do this and you have to correct in post, or is it more likely just because it was fairly cheap? ( I think I paid about £30 for it. )
OP James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 19 Feb 2016
In reply to Fraser:

Hi Fraser,

Sorry I missed this. The amount of vignetting depends on the filter thickness. Great you managed to find a fairly colour neutral filter 10stop for £30 though! Which company was that?

Again it sounds like brand promotion (I'm not usually one for it at all) but my Breakthrough Photography 10 stop is about half as thick (only 3.1mm) as my Hoya-Pro 9 stop and doesn't really give any noticeable vignetting.
 chrisprescott 19 Feb 2016
In reply to Fraser:

Lens focal length also plays a big part in the amount of vignetting, some filter brands make wide angle adaptor rings which bring the filter closer to the front element and reduce the amount of vignetting.
OP James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 19 Feb 2016
In reply to chrisprescott:

Also true! I believe Lee make such a wide angle adapter ring as well
 Fraser 19 Feb 2016
In reply to James Rushforth & chrisprescott:

Cheers for the info. The one I went for was this one, for use on my Tokina 11-16:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DHH42HK/ref=pe_385721_37038051_TE_3p_dp_1

I've not used it very often but the few times I have tried it, the vignetting was certainly very noticeable. I've not tried to remove it in post, but I should maybe see how readily and successfully it could be done.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...