UKC

Recommend an Android phone

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Eann 18 Feb 2016
Hi All,

My Samsung S4 has stopped charging, so it’s probably time for an upgrade.

Can anyone recommend a good value android phone?

Requirements:
- Faster / better spec than the Samsung S4
- Not crazy expensive (as I tend to buy handsets outright, no contract)

Thanks,
E
Taff2509 18 Feb 2016
In reply to Eann:

I bought my daughter a HTC ONE £100 and it's actually better than my iPhone 5s
 MonkeyPuzzle 18 Feb 2016
In reply to Eann:

Check the Oneplus 2 if you're buying outright. Seriously considering it as my next phone.
 iksander 18 Feb 2016
In reply to Eann:

Xperia M4 Aqua?
 Dauphin 18 Feb 2016
In reply to Eann:

Moto G 3rd gen. Nexus 6 if you want a almost top end phablet at a bargain price. Depends what you want - Flagship/ mid range / budget?

Oneplus X looks pretty good for the money but I'd leave them alone until they sort out realibilty and customer support issues.

D
 Andy DB 18 Feb 2016
In reply to Eann:

I currently quite like my sony Z3 compact. Quick, easy to use and waterproof!
 Tony the Blade 18 Feb 2016
In reply to Eann:

Another S4 - I tried to replace my S2 like-for-like but found it was cheaper to get an upgrade, of sorts. Ended up with an S4 which may not be the best phone out there, but it does everything I need it to.
 flopsicle 18 Feb 2016
In reply to Eann:

I'm loving my xperia z3 compact. It's not top of the range anymore so cheap enough to not have to insure or worry about. It copes well with getting wet frequently (my samsung did not cope with sweat!). The tracking GPS is out of sight better than my samsung, rarely gives an odd result. The camera seems very good, copes well with different lighting and can shoot very good video. Another bonus is that I only have to put it on charge for about an hour a day - most days it only uses about 25%, I'm not always on the phone but bluetooth's left on and I do use it through the day.

Basically it stands up to everything I throw at it, dropped, soaked, jiggled and bumped. It's probably been a decade since I've been this happy with a phone (had it since Oct).
 Thrudge 18 Feb 2016
In reply to Eann:

Oneplus 2. Great spec, cheap, neat.
 Only a hill 18 Feb 2016
In reply to Eann:

I second the Moto G 3rd generation recommendation. But make sure you get the 16GB storage / 2GB RAM version.
 LastBoyScout 18 Feb 2016
In reply to Eann:
Went round this loop when my S2 suddenly died last month. Considered getting a replacement from eBay, but decided it was time for an upgrade.

Nearly got the S6, but ended up paying a bit more for an Xperia Z5 as much newer, better battery life and waterproof and, importantly, can take micro SD cards to increase the memory, which the S6 doesn't. Looked in 2/3 shops and nearly every member of staff I spoke to had a Z5. Also has the best camera on the market, although not really a selling point for me.

Taken a bit of getting used to, but that's as much the change in the Android OS as Sony's skin compared to Samsung's. There are still a couple of things that annoy me, but a couple of other things I really like.

Still getting used to the size - sometimes think I should have gone for the compact version and sacrificed a bit of spec.

Functionally, it's much faster than my S2 - things like the sat nav app are much smoother (and better on the bigger screen).

PS: get the Tech21 case from the O2 shop.
Post edited at 13:03
 Kid Spatula 18 Feb 2016
In reply to Eann:

Nexus 6p. Blows most of the others out of the water. Can be had for fairly cheap.

Failing that you can get the LG G4 for a decent price these days or a Moto X Play.

Avoid Samsung like the plague.
 sxrxg 18 Feb 2016
In reply to Eann:

I would wait a month if you can (might not be an option if your phone isn't charging), it is the mobile world congress next week and lots of manufacturers will be releasing new handsets. You then have the option of either getting a new up to date 2016 model or hopefully picking up a cheaper 2015 model.
 Dave B 18 Feb 2016
In reply to Andy DB:
Z3 Compact too.
The waterproof was a big seller for me as I spend so much time at the beach. The glass is pretty fragile it seems from friends, so invest in a case immediately and a glass screen protector..

There are a number of newer phones out now, so they might be better value, but the size of them! Darn! too big.
m0unt41n 18 Feb 2016
In reply to Kid Spatula:

> Nexus 6p. Blows most of the others out of the water.

Or any of the Sony Xperia Z1 to 5 Compacts all of which blows them
- in the water
- out of the water
- and through the water

Having experienced the benefit of a waterproof phone I never again want the hassle of a phone that isn't and that I have to protect from rain.

eltankos 18 Feb 2016
In reply to Dave B:

>The glass is pretty fragile it seems from friends, so invest in a case immediately and a glass screen protector..

This 1000 times, I smashed the back and front glass (screen still working), replaced the screen/ front glass assembly, and smashed the front glass again by... having it in my back pocket while I drove.
Bought a Moto E instead, 80 quid, decent spec, not the fastest, but does what I need it to do.
If you fancy a bit of a DIY mission you can have my Z3 compact with the broken glass for 50 quid.
 Hooo 18 Feb 2016
In reply to Eann:

If you liked the S4, why not the S5? Should be cheap now the S6 is out. Waterproof too.
A lot of recommendations on this thread for the Z3 compact. I rejected it in favour of the S5 mini due to the lack of a home button. If you're used to Samsung you should consider this.
 flopsicle 18 Feb 2016
In reply to Hooo:

I have a z3 compact with a home button. I use apex launcher so that I don't need to relearning phones so that might be why. Either way it has a touchscreen button that whisks me home.
 Mr Lopez 18 Feb 2016
In reply to eltankos:

Did you change the LCD or just the glass itself? I may take you up on that offer if the OP passes on it
 LastBoyScout 18 Feb 2016
In reply to Hooo:

> A lot of recommendations on this thread for the Z3 compact. I rejected it in favour of the S5 mini due to the lack of a home button. If you're used to Samsung you should consider this.

This missing button annoyed me (S2 to Z5) until I found a setting where if you double tap the blank screen, it wakes the phone - once unlocked, you get a "soft" version of the home button anyway.
 deepsoup 18 Feb 2016
In reply to Eann:
> My Samsung S4 has stopped charging, so it’s probably time for an upgrade.

Unless you particularly want to upgrade it sounds more like time to replace the battery.
 Glyno 18 Feb 2016
In reply to Andy DB:

> I currently quite like my sony Z3 compact. Quick, easy to use and waterproof!

me too
 goldmember 18 Feb 2016
In reply to Eann:

Not the s4 or s5 the camera is rubbish. For any close up stuff. Any image I take is fuzzy
 The Lemming 18 Feb 2016
In reply to Eann:

Nexus all the way for me. That way you are the first to get the latest android updates and operating systems before anybody else.

If you get a Nexus 5x or 6p then you can be happy in the smug knowledge that your phone will be upto date for somewhere between 3-4 yrars.

I went for a Nexus 5x when they first came out and I chose it because I thought that the 6p would be too big. However somebody at work bought a 6p and I have to admit there is virtually no difference in size between both of the phones.

Should I have chose the 6p? not sure but I am extreemly happy with my phone.

You also get monthly security updates.

Brass Nipples 18 Feb 2016
In reply to Eann:

Replace the battery?
 Hooo 19 Feb 2016
In reply to flopsicle:

> I have a z3 compact with a home button. I use apex launcher so that I don't need to relearning phones so that might be why. Either way it has a touchscreen button that whisks me home.

I meant a physical button. Not so much for getting to the home screen, but for easy wake-up and answering the phone with gloves on.
 Hooo 19 Feb 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

> Nexus all the way for me. That way you are the first to get the latest android updates and operating systems before anybody else.

> You also get monthly security updates.

I seem to recall hearing this before. I got the impression then that very few people care in the slightest about this. It's just not important to most of us.
 flopsicle 19 Feb 2016
In reply to Hooo:

Button on the side does that.
 neuromancer 19 Feb 2016
In reply to Eann:

Go for a sim only contract for probably like £15 a month, and then order an Xiaomi Mi4C from china.
 The Lemming 19 Feb 2016
In reply to Hooo:
> I seem to recall hearing this before. I got the impression then that very few people care in the slightest about this. It's just not important to most of us.

People do like to have bragging rights when they get a new Android phone. However the smugness on their faces faded when I whipped out my, then 3 year old, Nexus 4 and it was using the latest Android operating system at the time. Sadly, this time round, Google stopped giving it updates so I upgraded.

The best bragging rights for me at the moment are that the new Nexus phones have the best cameras on board. Even better than the apple phones.
Post edited at 10:34
 eltankos 19 Feb 2016
In reply to Mr Lopez:

Emailed you back with details, cheers for the message.
 Ridge 19 Feb 2016
In reply to Orgsm:
> Replace the battery.

I suspect the battery can't be replaced.

I'm not a fan of the Xperia. I have a Z2 compact. The camera/gps/water resistance/battery life are good, but I don't like the Sony OS compared to my old S2. Also the external speaker is knackered, (it farts rather than rings), headphone jack doesn't work, and the whole phone looks like it's spent 20 years being sandblasted despite a case and screen protector.
Post edited at 10:39
 NottsRich 19 Feb 2016
In reply to Eann:

Fix it?
OP Eann 19 Feb 2016
In reply to deepsoup:

> Unless you particularly want to upgrade it sounds more like time to replace the battery.

Sadly, it's the charging port which needs replacing on the S4. I'm reluctant to spend the £50 to repair the phone I'm not a big fan of, but thanks anyway.
OP Eann 19 Feb 2016
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

> Check the Oneplus 2 if you're buying outright. Seriously considering it as my next phone.

This looks like the best option so far. Its certainly good value for money. Thanks for the recommendation.
OP Eann 19 Feb 2016
In reply to NottsRich:

> Fix it?

Boring. A new phone is much more exciting. Thanks anyway.
 The Lemming 19 Feb 2016
In reply to Eann:
Last September while I was looking for a new phone. somebody on this site suggested a wileyfox phone. A British option.

https://www.wileyfox.com/swift/

https://www.wileyfox.com/storm/
Post edited at 15:00
OP Eann 19 Feb 2016
In reply to neuromancer:

> Go for a sim only contract for probably like £15 a month, and then order an Xiaomi Mi4C from china.

Wow, this is an very interesting option. A bargain at £135 (probably extra for delivery, no doubt). https://www.androidpit.com/xiaomi-mi-4c-review

Thanks!
OP Eann 19 Feb 2016
In reply to sxrxg:

> I would wait a month if you can (might not be an option if your phone isn't charging), it is the mobile world congress next week and lots of manufacturers will be releasing new handsets. You then have the option of either getting a new up to date 2016 model or hopefully picking up a cheaper 2015 model.

Great, thanks. An interesting write up of what to expect here - http://www.cnbc.com/2016/02/19/mobile-world-congress-5-things-to-watch-out-...

However, doesn't look like there will be any competition for the OnePlus 2, but we shall see. Cheers!
 The Lemming 19 Feb 2016
In reply to Eann:

I have an irrational fear of Chinese kit.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-27908105
 deepsoup 19 Feb 2016
In reply to Ridge:
> I suspect the battery can't be replaced.

Of course it can. It's not an iphone you know.
 Hooo 19 Feb 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

> However the smugness on their faces faded when I whipped out my, then 3 year old, Nexus 4 and it was using the latest Android operating system at the time.

You know some odd people! I tend to know a lot of techy types, but I bet hardly any of them even know what version of OS they are running, let alone care. Showing off is all about hardware.

The camera might swing it for me, but I don't like the rest of the spec.
 cha1n 20 Feb 2016
In reply to Eann:

Just to piggyback on to this thread, can anyone recommend some more phones. My spec is very similar to the OP but priorities are:

- Good Battery life (preferably a replaceable battery)
- Good external speakers (I use my phone to listen to music lots)
- Good camera, as it's the device I take the most photos with.

Other than that I'm not fussed, so long as I can install a swipe keyboard!
 LastBoyScout 20 Feb 2016
In reply to cha1n:

> Just to piggyback on to this thread, can anyone recommend some more phones. My spec is very similar to the OP but priorities are:

> - Good Battery life (preferably a replaceable battery)
I have a Z5, the battery lasts 2-3 days including some WIFI and bluetooth use and the usual phone and text use. I also now have a power bank to charge it - will last 4-5 full charges and can be used with any phone, where a battery is specific.

> - Good external speakers (I use my phone to listen to music lots)
Speakers are fine, but I'm using it with a Bluetooth speaker, which is surprisingly powerful - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mighty-Music-Engine-Bluetooth-Speaker-Black-White/d...

> - Good camera, as it's the device I take the most photos with.
Best phone camera on the market at the moment.

> Other than that I'm not fussed, so long as I can install a swipe keyboard!

sxrxg 20 Feb 2016
In reply to cha1n:

ZTE Axon Elite can be had for £289 from Amazon.

Good value for a Snapdragon 810 SOC, 3GB RAM, FHD 5.5" screen, front facing speakers, dedicated hi-fi chip for 24 bit audio, dual rear cameras, dual sim, all UK 4g network bands. Main downside is that the look of the phone is very much a matter of personal taste with faux leather on the back and diamond cut outs for speakers on the front.
 cha1n 20 Feb 2016
In reply to Eann:

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been having a look and think I'm going to try the Nexus 6P but might wait if there's a bunch of new phones coming out soon.

Argh, now I'm waiting for the new Mac to be released and a new phone...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...