UKC

Impressive ground fall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stp 20 Feb 2016
Bonkers...

youtube.com/watch?v=78YfYb3silU&

Applicable to highballing of the future perhaps?
 Greasy Prusiks 20 Feb 2016
In reply to stp:

God that's impressive.
 DerwentDiluted 20 Feb 2016
In reply to stp:

Isn't that what Alf Bridges used to do in the days before YouTube?
 Si Witcher 20 Feb 2016
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

I read that Alf Bridge (no 's') had a controlled jump/fall technique, which he used to descend Hargreaves Original at Stanage, which is about 15m, above rocks in the 1930s. #youthofttoday

Interesting article on A.B. here: http://footlesscrow.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/alf-bridgethe-art-of-falling-and...
Rigid Raider 20 Feb 2016
In reply to stp:

Clever - he uses the turning momentum to absorb the impact. His head and neck seem to take quite a lot of the energy.
 Bulls Crack 20 Feb 2016
In reply to Rigid Raider:

Clever?
 Mick Ward 20 Feb 2016
In reply to Bulls Crack:

That's exactly what I thought. It's great that he's (seemingly) OK but this video horrifies me. The slightest miscalculation and his life is ruined.

Scary climbing's one thing. But this...?

Mick
 JayPee630 20 Feb 2016
In reply to Bulls Crack:

A even bigger ground fall... youtube.com/watch?v=jNa5dcLccS4&
In reply to stp:

> Bonkers...

YouTube decided to put a banner advert reading "Never Do This Exercise, Here's Why" over this video!
 andyb211 20 Feb 2016
In reply to stp:

The guy in the video is Dominik Sky, a free runner/parkour athlete from Slovenia, look him up on youtube some of his workout's are hardcore!!
 Wsdconst 20 Feb 2016
In reply to stp:

The guys got skills,and really good technique too.
 Doghouse 20 Feb 2016
In reply to JayPee630:

Did you have to post that? :-/
 Trangia 20 Feb 2016
In reply to JayPee630:

What a disturbing video.

The person who gave it a "like" must be a bit sick in the head
 JayPee630 20 Feb 2016
In reply to Doghouse:
No, I didn't 'have to' obviously, but since ground falls were the topic at hand I thought that was a 'good' one. He survived by the way.

What is the problem? You think it shouldn't be watched at all, needs a warning, you didn't want to see it, or something else?

BTW, surely it was kind of obvious what was going to happen, yet you watched it to the end still...? Was that just to have something to complain about?
Post edited at 15:36
 Bristoldave 21 Feb 2016
In reply to stp:

That is a very impressive landing but single large impacts can kill the chondrocytes (cartilage making cells) in the knee joint, predisposing to early onset osteoarthritis.
 Timmd 21 Feb 2016
In reply to Bristoldave:
I'm screwed then, I used to love jumping off fairly high things. I somehow thought I'd keep bouncing if I kept bouncing.
Post edited at 00:25
 Timmd 21 Feb 2016
In reply to Mick Ward:
> That's exactly what I thought. It's great that he's (seemingly) OK but this video horrifies me. The slightest miscalculation and his life is ruined.

> Scary climbing's one thing. But this...?

> Mick

I get why you say that, but the same could be said about trusting your weight to a smear where a fall could cost you your life or risk you landing on your back or neck, I think in the end it comes down to have aware people are of their own abilities, and the quality of their assessment of risk.

To me it looked like that movement was something he'd done many times before, like it was muscle memory at work.

You're absolutely right about the slightest miscalculation, but the same goes for soloing too...
Post edited at 00:31
 JDal 21 Feb 2016
In reply to Bristoldave:

I could believe that. Most of the team who were doing the hard new routes in Northumberland in the 70's/80's have had hip replacements. There's no proof, but the blame is on the technique of practicing a route by trying the moves and then picking your spot and jumping off. From high up and no mats.
 Mick Ward 21 Feb 2016
In reply to JDal:

I've heard that the Font hard core from the 1960s had similar problems which people reckoned came from coming off highballs.

Mick
 Mick Ward 21 Feb 2016
In reply to Timmd:

> You're absolutely right about the slightest miscalculation, but the same goes for soloing too...

Except that he's actually taking the jump - no matter how well controlled it is, whereas with soloing you're (hopefully!) not taking a fall. Normally, with soloing, you've lined up the odds massively in your favour (grades in reserve), although obviously sometimes this all goes out the window. For me, soloing is largely psychological risk management (keeping it together), whereas this, to me, seems like a huge physiological gamble. He's got to be stressing something in his body and, well, we've only got a body apiece for the rest of our lives.

I don't want to be hypocritical about soloing; God knows I've done enough of it. And I don't seek to diminish this guy's achievements in any way. He's obviously immensely brave and immensely controlled. I just hope he'll know when to stop.

Mick
 Toccata 21 Feb 2016
In reply to Bristoldave:

> That is a very impressive landing but single large impacts can kill the chondrocytes (cartilage making cells) in the knee joint, predisposing to early onset osteoarthritis.

We think it is subchondral bone damage rather than cartilage damage that leads to osteoarthritis in these single high-impact events.

I agree though that he is storing up trouble for the future (spine as well as joints).
In reply to Mick Ward:

> I don't want to be hypocritical about soloing; God knows I've done enough of it. And I don't seek to diminish this guy's achievements in any way. He's obviously immensely brave and immensely controlled. I just hope he'll know when to stop.

Your wise words remind me of Joe Brown's to Jimmy Jewel, who became known for his outrageously bold solos (things like The Axe). JB didn't like the sound of this, and when he bumped into JJ in Llanberis high street, and JJ proudly told him he'd just soloed The Mau Mau, Joe simply said: "I think you'd better stop there, son." Which advice he sadly failed to follow.

jon 21 Feb 2016
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

"Today the Axe... tomorrow the chop..."
Sadly how right Stevie was.
In reply to jon:

Ah, yes. I remember that phrase swept round Llanberis, as a bit of a sick joke
 flopsicle 21 Feb 2016
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

The banner is an advert for some kind of flobble!
 flopsicle 21 Feb 2016
In reply to stp:

What struck me is the response from the spectators. I get why a young man would do this, his t-shirt even underlines it but I can't help but feel this is where young men pay a heavy price for our stupid gender brainwashing. There's so much out there on the price us girls pay but I think much less so about boys (and late maturing men) caught up in cycles of behaviour every bit as risky as dodgy diets!

The lad isn't thick, his reaction both before and after show his awareness of the risks, as does that of his spectators. I find it sad.
OP stp 21 Feb 2016
In reply to Timmd:

> it looked like that movement was something he'd done many times before

He certainly has done a lot of jumping before. He has a whole Youtube channel of him doing stuff. He's also extremely strong - calisthenics is his other thing - which no doubt helps a lot.

There's another impressive one of him jumping through an assortment of windows.
youtube.com/watch?v=0hR7RyDLCs8&

> You're absolutely right about the slightest miscalculation, but the same goes for soloing too...

I agree. From a non climber perspective soloing, particularly on big long routes, must look like complete madness too. But as climbers it doesn't seem so bad because we have a much deeper understanding of what is going on.

It's interesting I can see a lot of similarities between free running and climbing: high skill, high strength, risky, beauty of movement, no direct competition, problem solving. Some free runners even visit bouldering walls now. If you think of the way indoor bouldering has progressed into multi dynamic Dawesesque type of stuff the similarity is even closer.
 Robert Durran 21 Feb 2016
In reply to flopsicle:

> The lad isn't thick, his reaction both before and after show his awareness of the risks, as does that of his spectators. I find it sad.

I confess I really have no idea what you are trying to say here.

It strikes me that this man has perfected (necessarily) something requiring extraordionary physical and mental control. Ok, you could say it is pointless, but so is climbing, caving, sailing.............. I found it very impressive.

hikerpike 21 Feb 2016
In reply to stp:

Looks like stupidity to me.
hikerpike 21 Feb 2016
In reply to flopsicle:
It has been said higher risk-taking and testsoterone have a link.

Young men are definitely higher risk-takers I would say without a doubt.The evidence is there.And I would agree it is linked to testosterone.Does testosterone give you a bigger ego?, well that is debatable but possibly a desire to prove oneself and compete.

You could conceivably have healthy testosterone but still be quite balanced.
Post edited at 12:28
 jon 21 Feb 2016
In reply to flopsicle:

> The lad isn't thick, his reaction both before and after show his awareness of the risks, as does that of his spectators. I find it sad.

Bit like eating hot chillis, then?
hikerpike 21 Feb 2016
In reply to jon:
Good thing is the risk of breaking your neck eating hot chillies is extremely low to non-existent.Choking and/or eating-contest is possible.
Post edited at 12:53
 Andy Morley 21 Feb 2016
In reply to hikerpike:

> Looks like stupidity to me.

Out of interest, what kind of climbing or outdoor activity do you personally go in for?
hikerpike 21 Feb 2016
In reply to Andy Morley:
> Looks like stupidity to me.

"Out of interest, what kind of climbing or outdoor activity do you personally go in for?"

Hi Andy....

Alpine climbing, mild scrambling, & mountain exploration/walking etc

I did a little bit of rock-climbing about 20yrs ago.In fact I still have an old pair of la sportiva pink shoes. I would say I have got into mountain climbing and scrambling past decade in Scotland a little bit more often.I like the outdoors and the adventure, the freedom of the hills.Personally I feel relatively excited about going abroad, to the Alps maybe or beyond/outside Europe proper.

I think if you've got some knowledge and skill-base and hopefully safety experience it opens up a lot in terms of opportunity.

The thought of crevasses do freak me out a bit because a) you (often) can't see them b) potentially you are in a bit of pickle if you are both injured and stuck down one of them on your own.I have no rope work or experience of either.I'm just picking up stuff from more experienced climbers than I.

I have finally forked out for some (boots etc) winter equipment ( or started to, for snow and ice, extreme cold/weather clothing etc) having postponed it for past 6-7 years, realising it is now necessary.And without it, it is simply v. dangerous or risky,shall we say.
Post edited at 14:52
Jim C 21 Feb 2016
In reply to Robert Durran:

Ok, you could say it is pointless, but so is climbing, caving, sailing..............

Did you forget football?

Timmd 21 Feb 2016
In reply to flopsicle:
> What struck me is the response from the spectators. I get why a young man would do this, his t-shirt even underlines it but I can't help but feel this is where young men pay a heavy price for our stupid gender brainwashing. There's so much out there on the price us girls pay but I think much less so about boys (and late maturing men) caught up in cycles of behaviour every bit as risky as dodgy diets!

I don't know how far one can tell if it's gender brain washing? I remember as a teenager there being some competitiveness about physical ability and 'doing stuff', but it seemed to 'develop organically', in how one person would try something and another person would, but if I did myself down about my ability at a certain sport, somebody would point out I was 'pretty good at climbing', so there wasn't a general feeling that as males we had to be good at physical things or taking risks, not in the same way that women can still feel bad about their bodies once they stop being teenagers and in their 20's.....I don't think?

It's almost definitely true that younger man take bigger risks, but I'm not sure how far that's something innate compared to something related to societal pressures.
Post edited at 15:16
 Andy Morley 21 Feb 2016
In reply to hikerpike:

> Alpine climbing, mild scrambling, & mountain exploration/walking etc > I did a little bit of rock-climbing about 20yrs ago.In fact I still have an old pair of la sportiva pink shoes.

I think some of the crag climbers and other areas of challenging outdoor activity can be just as seemingly dangerous as this, perhaps more so. To put it in context, I believe that the greatest number of accidents involving serious injury, possibly deaths to (don't have time to look it up) happen in people's homes.

OK, so death is a scary and ever-present fact of life and to some, risking death can seem like 'stupidity'. But there are other equally scary things and confronting the fear of death can be a good antidote for some of the others.

The Alps are great btw - I did a road trip there last Summer, I can really recommend the experience. My missus freaked out on the hairpins of the Greater and Lesser St Bernard passes more than I did looking at the above film clip. Maybe it was just my driving...
 Timmd 21 Feb 2016
In reply to Mick Ward:

> Except that he's actually taking the jump - no matter how well controlled it is, whereas with soloing you're (hopefully!) not taking a fall. Normally, with soloing, you've lined up the odds massively in your favour (grades in reserve), although obviously sometimes this all goes out the window. For me, soloing is largely psychological risk management (keeping it together), whereas this, to me, seems like a huge physiological gamble. He's got to be stressing something in his body and, well, we've only got a body apiece for the rest of our lives.

> I don't want to be hypocritical about soloing; God knows I've done enough of it. And I don't seek to diminish this guy's achievements in any way. He's obviously immensely brave and immensely controlled. I just hope he'll know when to stop.

> Mick

youtube.com/watch?v=xA1CSr3xNSk&

Hopefully that's his peak of out-there things. The first ascent of Appointment With Death where it was climbed without having been fully linked on a top rope (iirc) somehow strikes me as being of the 'same kind of erk' as the backflip in the OP.
 Timmd 21 Feb 2016
In reply to Mick Ward:
It's something very subjective I guess, but to me the backflip seems perhaps more weighed up than the description of wanting to climb Appointment With Death before doing too many attempts on a top rope from not wanting to break the pebbles off....trusting your wellbeing to pebbles not snapping? Erk.

youtube.com/watch?v=zGdm69kBbWk&
Post edited at 19:04
 Mick Ward 21 Feb 2016
In reply to Timmd:

> ...trusting your wellbeing to pebbles not snapping? Erk.

Well I agree. It depends on how you look at odds. On Cerro Torre, Mick Burke reckoned that 50:50 odds were OK, i.e. you win or you die. Sadly, on Everest, he died.

With shit odds, if you stay in the zone, you'll die. You're playing against the odds. It's that brutally simple.

I'd rather say no more about this. I have huge respect for this guy and for anyone doing stuff like Appointment with Death or Indian Face. And I know I'm getting like everyone's granny. But, with over 50 people I've known die climbing (some of them very close to me), it's perhaps understandable that I'm a bit risk adverse where others are concerned.

Mick

Alun 21 Feb 2016
In reply to stp:

Goodness me, some of the responses on this thread.

It's undoubtedly rather risky and I'm not sure I fancy being his knees in 20 years time.

But rolling out of a large fall is very standard gymnastic and martial arts trick, which is being taken to new heights (literally) by the free running lot. He's rolling backwards which is much easier than forwards. Also he's landing in soft earth which takes a fair bit of the sting out of the initial hit. Finally, he's undoubtedly practiced this several hundred times before on smaller versions, and possibly from similar heights into a foam pit.

If I were try such a thing I'd probably break my neck. But, for a chap of his ability, the most he was risking realistically was a broken leg (at least in the short term).

I find videos of Alex Honnold soloing Moonlight Buttress much more difficult to watch, as failure there means certain death.
 Timmd 21 Feb 2016
In reply to Mick Ward:

> Well I agree. It depends on how you look at odds. On Cerro Torre, Mick Burke reckoned that 50:50 odds were OK, i.e. you win or you die. Sadly, on Everest, he died.

> With shit odds, if you stay in the zone, you'll die. You're playing against the odds. It's that brutally simple.

> I'd rather say no more about this. I have huge respect for this guy and for anyone doing stuff like Appointment with Death or Indian Face. And I know I'm getting like everyone's granny. But, with over 50 people I've known die climbing (some of them very close to me), it's perhaps understandable that I'm a bit risk adverse where others are concerned.

> Mick

That's very understandable. I'm rather the same about smoking.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...