UKC

Sleeping in a Mitsubishi L200 pick up.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tintinandpip 24 Feb 2016

I am thinking of buying a Mitsubishi L200 pick up with a canopy on the back. Whilst it will not be the most economical vehicle it will be good for snowy conditions in the mountains, getting lots of kit in, towing a caravan and hopefully it will last for years. I would very occasionally like to sleep in it, I am thinking a simple wooden platform with a mattress on top. I am pretty sure that I will need to drop the tailgate and poke my feet out (I have seen a small tent from the USA that fits over the back to make it waterproof)
Anyone got any experience ?
Post edited at 15:44
 Timmd 24 Feb 2016
In reply to tintinandpip:

Sounds like you'd need some decent insulation to protect you from the metalwork conducting away your body heat.
James Jackson 24 Feb 2016

I sleep in the back of my Ranger. Exactly like you say - pop the back and poke feet out. I don't have a cover on mine so rig a tarp over it. That + bivi bag + thermarest + sleeping bag = a good night's sleep.
 Neil 24 Feb 2016

Functional but lacking in luxury is probably the best I can describe my experiences. Similar to you I use my Isuzu Rodeo for towing, off-road (farm stuff) and trips away biking or climbing. As an all-rounder I don't think I'd want a different vehicle, but at times I wish I had something else (e.g. the inability to leave bikes out of sight, economy). But then mine does have an alloy canopy with a mesh gate.
OP tintinandpip 25 Feb 2016

I am trying to fend off buying the ubiquitous, VW transporter !! The series 4 L200's get a similar MPG to the 2.5 transporters. Would like one of the new series 5 L200's but budget won't stretch that far.
Food for thought ? Many thanks for your input.
Removed User 25 Feb 2016

Unless you need high ground clearance and 4wd I'd go with the VW. Tyres being equal, L200s are at best no better in snow than a normal car, (I use them with work and have driven them a lot in snow, and I wrote one off about a year ago in conditions that wouldn't have troubled my BMW) unless you are in snow too deep for a normal car to plough through (very deep, big drifts etc). They are good for towing, probably better than the fwd VW, but then lots of people tow caravans with fwd cars so a T5 should have no problem. The VW will be better on snowy roads, and probably more useful unless, like I said, you really need 4wd and high ground clearance.
James Jackson 25 Feb 2016
In reply to Removed User:

Pickup + snow tyres = win.
 Sealwife 25 Feb 2016
I have seen camper van conversion units in Canada. They fit onto the back of the pick-up and over the top of the cab. Can be removed when not needed. I have no idea what they are called but they didn't seem to be uncommon over there.

Wonder if you could get something similar for an L200.

Edited to add - having just googled to see, yes they are available in the UK, at a price......
Post edited at 23:06
 dingbat46 26 Feb 2016

I fail to see how a 4x4 with a low range box, centre diff lock and rear diff lock can be out performed by a car in the snow. Unless you just had the rear wheels engaged and were not driving to the conditions??

Why not go for a car version of a pick up ? Then you can lie flat without having to stick your feet out because you can access the area of the back seats and fold them down flat. eg Nissan Pathfinder (car version of a Navara)
OP tintinandpip 26 Feb 2016
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

Thanks for all the input, I am test driving both a series 4 and 5 tonight. The 5's are much more refined and more economical but there appears to be some very good deals on the last remaining 4's. One of the big attractions is the fact that the 5s have a five year 100,000 mile warranty.
Removed User 26 Feb 2016
In reply to Sealwife:

Tischer pick-up cabins? They're available in Europe, but are rather expensive.
 Sealwife 26 Feb 2016
In reply to Removed UserZebdi:

I was looking at Northstar Demountable Campers. Eeek - price
 nniff 26 Feb 2016

There was a Toyota hilux in Cairngorm car park last week - 4 wheel axle at the back and a camper body on top. It looked suitable for going anywhere
Removed User 26 Feb 2016
In reply to dingbat46:

Driving on a fairly level but windy A road on 20cm wet snow/slush doesn't require 4wd, low box and difflock. Of course as this is UKC and I drive a BMW it is a given that I wasn't driving to conditions. Sarcasm aside, yes I was going too fast, not so much for the actual road conditions but for having anything in reserve if I had to make a sudden maneuvre to avoid an oncoming vehicle, which I did...

Difflocks, 4wd and the like will give you oodles more traction, it is true. But traction is secondary to being able to turn and stop, which is why I'd rather have any car with winter tyres than something heavy with a high centre of gravity.
Forestry tracks, moorlands, quarries, the Sahara Desert and towing huge trailers aside of course.
 ChrisNaylor 26 Feb 2016

I've got a ranger as well, I've got a roll top on the back but it's still great for kipping in with a bivi bag... Or even underneath if it's raining!
OP tintinandpip 29 Feb 2016
In reply to ChrisNaylor:

Under the roll top ? That sounds a bit grim !!!
 ChrisNaylor 29 Feb 2016

It gets a bit damp, but I've never been cold!

I've slept underneath the truck whilst in the lakes in summer.. Not the greatest night of my life admittedly!
 ChrisNaylor 29 Feb 2016

I've slept underneath the truck whilst in the lakes in summer.. Not the greatest night of my life admittedly!
 ChrisNaylor 29 Feb 2016

Andy Gamisou 29 Feb 2016

> Driving on a fairly level but windy A road on 20cm wet snow/slush doesn't require 4wd, low box and difflock.

For the last 15 years I 've owned both a E36 323i and a '92 defender (still have them both), and I know which I'd prefer in the conditions you describe. Hint - it's not the Beemer.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...