UKC

in-situ ropes on Rannoch wall.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Hawky 25 Feb 2016
We done curved ridge today and noticed there is 2 ropes on Rannoch wall. Just wondering if this is known.

No tracks at the bottom of it and it looks as though there is gear in as well.

Lamb 25 Feb 2016
In reply to ryan p:

Some boys got their ropes jammed abbing back down after finishing Agag's a few weeks back.
OP Hawky 25 Feb 2016
In reply to Lamb:

Thanks for that lamb. Very relieved to hear that.
 veteye 25 Feb 2016
In reply to Lamb:

Have they not been back to collect their high crag swag?
 NottsRich 25 Feb 2016
In reply to veteye:

That was more than a few weeks ago wasn't it? Surprised they've not been retrieved by those climbers, or anyone else.
 Lamb 25 Feb 2016
In reply to NottsRich:

It's a fair hassle unless you're topping out or climbing on Rannoch Wall specifically. By the looks of it there's just one intact rope left, think one must have been chopped for escape.
OP Hawky 25 Feb 2016
In reply to NottsRich:

Somebody will have them soon they look newish ropes to be fair, they must have plenty money to abandone them.
OP Hawky 25 Feb 2016
In reply to Lamb:

Yeah the yellow one has either been blown up and over or its been chopped. If it's still there in the summer I will have it haha. No chance I'm climbing agags in winter.
 Misha 25 Feb 2016
In reply to ryan p:
Yeah they're mine. The yellow jammed when we pulled the blue after a long ab to the in situ tat at the top of the second pitch. Should have split up that ab but it was getting dark so we rushed it - never a good idea. We managed to pull down just enough blue to ab down to a ledge from where it was a short down climb into the gully below the wall. In the process we clove hitched the blue to the in situ tat so it would be safe to ab off. All done by head torch. Mini epic...

It was a Sunday so we needed to get back. I did go back the following Sunday but my climbing partner that day was on a tight schedule so we didn't have enough time, especially as it was a minging day. Then there was a windy spell and I figured they'd get battered and would no longer be safe to climb on anyway. Two year old ice lines but not after hanging off a crag in winter for a few weeks!

The difficulty is we'd have to do curved ridge and traverse across (not an entirely straightforward traverse either), or do another route on the wall, then ab down the route again to untie the blue.

Don't like leaving so much rope hanging around but I'm sure someone will have them, sounds like the easier to retrieve one has been picked up already.
 veteye 25 Feb 2016
In reply to ryan p:

Grade VI isn't it?
 Misha 25 Feb 2016
In reply to veteye:
VII 6 or VI 6 depending on the guidebook. We thought top of the grade VI 7 or VII 7.
 veteye 25 Feb 2016
In reply to Misha:

Sadly I've only ever climbed up to V,but Agag's Groove might inspire to climb at another level; or would it intimidate in full winter mantle?
OP Hawky 25 Feb 2016
In reply to Misha:

Sounds like a real nightmare misha, seems to be stuck to the wall now hence why in wasn't sure if there was gear in also.
The main thing is you are both alright.
Some crazy thought going through our heads and also the other team behind us.
Looks a tough winter climb.
 TobyA 26 Feb 2016
In reply to Misha:

Interesting! Back in the 90s the winter ascents of AG were something of a mystery. I remember people talking about whether the FWA was done in full-on winter conditions or not and why no one seemed to have repeated it. It always seemed odd that a route so well known in summer seemed to get no winter attention. Good effort for getting on it; I suppose catching it in real hoared up conditions isn't that easy.
 Misha 26 Feb 2016
In reply to veteye:
The gear can be a bit sparse in places. Certainly plenty of easier mixed VIs out there (if it is a VI; not hard for a VII if that's what it is).
 Misha 26 Feb 2016
In reply to TobyA:
It was well snowed up so certainly in winter nick but not hoared up. Not many UKC ticks, I suspect because it isn't the most obvious route to go for as it isn't at one of the popular crags (curved ridge is of course massively popular). Plus the approach (via the start of curved ridge) and the top out (or descent!) aren't straightforward.
 Misha 29 Feb 2016
In reply to ryan p:
Both ropes very kindly recovered by a friend at the weekend.
Removed User 29 Feb 2016
In reply to Misha:

It's very rarely in condition. The aspect that makes Rannoch Wall such a sunny summer crag means it strips quickly, generally before it can develop a proper plastering. I did it in the early 90s though I frigged the move through the nose. I thought the gear was pretty good, though it needed a bit of excavating. Hard though, especially P3.

TobyA: I've run into a small number of folk who'd done it back then, in variable conditions. Definitely never a trade route but it's been done more than people think. All in the timing, and it's a good natural winter line.
OP Hawky 29 Feb 2016
In reply to Misha:

Nice one misha. Will you use them to climb on again? Just wondered out of interest and future reference for myself, I'm a new climber so I'm interested in learning.
 Misha 29 Feb 2016
In reply to ryan p:
I haven't seen / checked them yet so don't know but I've seen a photo and they don't look particularly trashed.
Post edited at 17:54
OP Hawky 29 Feb 2016
In reply to Misha:

Ah right no bother hope they are OK.

Whoever gave me the down thumb going to do me a favour and stick it where the sun doesn't shine eh. Or I could do it for you with a pleasure.
 Wsdconst 29 Feb 2016
In reply to ryan p:

> Whoever gave me the down thumb going to do me a favour and stick it where the sun doesn't shine eh. Or I could do it for you with a pleasure.

You must have really f##ked someone off, I've got a dislike stalker too , whatever I write some c##t dislikes it,maybe it's the same sad f##ker that does it to you.
 TobyA 29 Feb 2016
In reply to Removed User:

Nice one. I remember seeing it in perfect nick the day we did a variation on North Buttress, back in the mid-90s (day after the Dunblane tragedy -95 was it?). There was another route on the Rannoch Wall which at least at that time was given a suggested IV,5 or IV,6 my favourite grades of the time! I think it looked a bit unlikely though, hence scurrying back round to do NB instead!
OP Hawky 29 Feb 2016
In reply to Wsdconst:
LOL I'm guessing the same matey. To hell with them. Grow a set of balls and say who you are...

Let's face it its not hard to annoy some people on here, I'm noticing the ones that are mad for the thumbs don't even climb? Don't know what that's all about. Pisses me off bigstyle
Post edited at 18:59
 Wsdconst 29 Feb 2016
In reply to ryan p:
> LOL I'm guessing the same matey. To hell with them. Grow a set of balls and say who you are...

> Let's face it its not hard to annoy some people on here, I'm noticing the ones that are mad for the thumbs don't even climb? Don't know what that's all about. Pisses me off bigstyle

Looks like I'm winning you, I've managed to get 4 just for sticking up for you, I couldn't care less but an explanation would be nice. I think some of the posters on here would argue black was white from the safety of the Internet but wouldn't say jack face to face. Anyway this comment should get me a few more dislikes.
I'm upto 5 now on my other post,yay
Post edited at 19:38
OP Hawky 29 Feb 2016
In reply to Wsdconst:

I just noticed that mate. They probably know it winds you up, don't stress about it. When you get as many as offwidth then maybe start to worry, no idea why he gets some many.

I don't think I will do much posting here anymore really unless it's a must.

I have read people saying the same thing that the place never changes,

Not to worry mate life goes on.
 Wsdconst 29 Feb 2016
In reply to ryan p:

Don't stop posting that's what they want, start posting more instead, I just think it's funny that they dislike but daren't say why, the little weirdos
 Misha 29 Feb 2016
In reply to ryan p:
Could have been finger slip on a phone. Easily done.
OP Hawky 29 Feb 2016
In reply to Misha:

Possibly I have done it myself but I soon realise and unclick it.
 Kirriemuir 29 Feb 2016
In reply to ryan p:

Perhaps the later "dislikes" were for the thinly veiled threats?
Or maybe you are coming across as too easily hooked?
Likewise for the other dude...put aggressive posts on here and what do you expect?

Peace
OP Hawky 29 Feb 2016
In reply to Kirriemuir:
I never threatened a soul, only told them to ram there thumb or I would happily do it for them
I never down thumbed that by the way. I only upthumb things. If I don't like it I don't bother
Post edited at 21:00
 Wsdconst 29 Feb 2016
In reply to Kirriemuir:

> Perhaps the later "dislikes" were for the thinly veiled threats?

> Or maybe you are coming across as too easily hooked?

> Likewise for the other dude...put aggressive posts on here and what do you expect?

> Peace

I'm guessing I'm the other dude ? I haven't put anything aggressive have I ? I have now put stickers on my screen so the dislike box now says "has a massive penis" so if everyone wouldn't mind giving me a dislike. And by the way that's has and not is. Just thought I'd better clarify that.

Namaste

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...