UKC

The Night Manager

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 29 Feb 2016
Just caught up on the second episode and I'm hooked.

Anybody else watching this series?

Please, no spoilers.
 ThunderCat 29 Feb 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

He dies in the end
 Yanis Nayu 29 Feb 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I'm enjoying it, but not entirely convinced by him as a hard man thug.
Gone for good 29 Feb 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

Hilarious!
 Yanis Nayu 29 Feb 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

> He dies in the end

That's bullshit. He dies halfway through.
 cuppatea 29 Feb 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Points for naming the crag near Hartland, and bonus points for naming the pub and garage
 Mick Ward 29 Feb 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> That's bullshit. He dies halfway through.

I thought he died just before the beginning. (The book was great.)

Mick

Phil1919 29 Feb 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Yes, first episode excellent, second episode just reflects the complexity of the plot/book I guess. Never read JLC however. I like Hugh Laurie.
 Exile 29 Feb 2016
In reply to cuppatea:

Dyers Lookout?
 Dave Garnett 29 Feb 2016
In reply to cuppatea:
> Points for naming the crag near Hartland, and bonus points for naming the pub and garage

The village shop he goes into looks very like what used to be the Shamrock Cafe (and part-time chip shop) but it's been a while since I've been down.

The lock-ins at the Hart were legendary back in the 80s but I don't think that was where they staged the fight -that was one of the ones on Fore Street.

The Poldark moment was in the waterfall at Spekes Mill, right next to Pressure Drop wasn't it?
Post edited at 22:24
 cuppatea 29 Feb 2016
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Good work! The pub is the Anchor. The front door of the Kings Arms can be seen in one scene.
Interesting to see the rocks, I've not been down that way for a while. Bear Rock at the Quay is clear, no sign of the Kraken..might have to look for that when I'm next down so I can marvel at how good the youth are.
 cuppatea 29 Feb 2016
In reply to Exile:

May well have been. I thought I caught a glimpse of Screda at one point but wasn't sure
 Tom Last 29 Feb 2016
In reply to cuppatea:

Was definitely Screda, from the carpark.
OP The Lemming 27 Mar 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Well, that was nail biting and thoroughly enjoyable series with a superb ending.

Is it true that it cost the Beeb £3m per episode?
 rossowen 27 Mar 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Brilliant wasn't it. Not sure what it cost but it was worth it.
Bogwalloper 27 Mar 2016
In reply to rossowen:

> Brilliant wasn't it. Not sure what it cost but it was worth it.

It was awesome. Almost as good as Happy Valley.

Wally

The New NickB 27 Mar 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

> Well, that was nail biting and thoroughly enjoyable series with a superb ending.

Quite different from the book, by all accounts encouraged by Le Carre.

> Is it true that it cost the Beeb £3m per episode?

It does look expensive!

I'm sure they will make it back and much more, selling it internationally.
 ThunderCat 27 Mar 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Ffs just gone to check it out and episode 1 has dropped off iplayer
OP The Lemming 28 Mar 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

I missed an episode too by forgetting to record it while at work.

I torrented the episode.
 Chris the Tall 28 Mar 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

> Well, that was nail biting and thoroughly enjoyable series with a superb ending.

> Is it true that it cost the Beeb £3m per episode?

I've been trying to work out where he transferred all the money to, but this would explain it - he transferred it to the BBC to pay for the series!

Can't help but think that it has been left open for a second series- Roper is still alive, still presumably has money somewhere
 Tom Valentine 28 Mar 2016
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Roper didn't seem too optimistic about his chances, the last we saw of him.
 GridNorth 28 Mar 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

John Le Carrie is my favourite author.

Did anyone notice his guest cameo appearance a la Alfred Hitchcock? I think it was him in the restaurant who Pine apologised to after the disturbance. Episode 3?

Al
 galpinos 28 Mar 2016
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Le Carre's sons' production company has been approached about a second "series". Apparently did cost £3million an episode but only half of that was The Beeb's money. I guess it would be pretty lucrative through distribution rights.

I wonder how much of the money goes to the "talent"?
J8mesb 28 Mar 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Superb series. we watched the last three one after the other last night. I haven't read the book so not sure if it is open to a second series. The way they acted around each other was daft

I like anything by Le Carre, especially Tinker Tailor of which the book is far better than the film
 Yanis Nayu 28 Mar 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

If you could suspend your disbelief that Roper would trust Pine so completely and so quickly over his established lieutenant, and not question why everything started going wrong when he did, it was superb.
In reply to galpinos:

Speaking of "talent", if you want to see more of Freddie Hamid's whore, the unfortunate Sophie Alekan played by Aure Atka, she appears as a high ranking French politician in Spin on C4 catchup.
Jim C 28 Mar 2016
In reply to Tom Valentine:
.....if you want to see more of Freddie Hamid's whore, the unfortunate Sophie Alekan played by Aure Atka, she appears as a high ranking French politician....

So I will see 'more' of her as a French politician , than I would as a whore

Pedro50 28 Mar 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

It was a bit James Bond though wasn't it? I did enjoy it but there were many implausibilities. Was unsure about Hugh Laurie as a villain but he was pretty good I thought. Now enjoying Line of Duty
 Andy Long 28 Mar 2016
In reply to Pedro50:

> It was a bit James Bond though wasn't it? I did enjoy it but there were many implausibilities. Was unsure about Hugh Laurie as a villain but he was pretty good I thought. Now enjoying Line of Duty

I thought Laurie was very good as a villain. Enjoyed the previous two series of "Line of Duty" immensely. Not made up my mind about the current one after one episode, but will definitely watch it. Looking forward to seeing the new "Maigret" with Rowan Atkinson. It's one of those remarkable things about acting that comics usually make superb serious actors, no so the other way round.
 veteye 28 Mar 2016
In reply to Andy Long:

Mr Bean with a French accent?

Will he tolerate having to drive around in a 60 year old car?-It won't be as much fun to crash.

I don't watch TV much, but caught the 3rd or 4th episode of NM and then went back as I liked the look of it. The final episode was good, but I anticipated more blood and guts. I also felt there were a few things that weren't fully covered or explained,but that's the nature of some dramas like this one. I certainly enjoyed the thriller style of it.
In reply to Jim C:

Yes

because she survives more than a couple of episodes
 Andy Long 28 Mar 2016
In reply to veteye:

> Mr Bean with a French accent?

> I doubt it. Maigret, not Clouseau. The original Rupert Davies series, in the early 60s, were terrific and could probably stand comparison with any of the more "cerebral" modern cop shows.

veteye 28 Mar 2016
In reply to Andy Long:

I did wonder if I might be getting that wrong.
I seem to remember watching it in black and white, and not getting into it as it was an adult's programme, being repeated. Is it set in the Yorkshire Dales? I remember my mother reading some of the books.
 Offwidth 28 Mar 2016
In reply to The Lemming:
Really enjoyed it. A cleverly adapted and well-acted, classy, spy drama. The sort of thing that BBC prime time should contain. If the BBC only spent 3 million an episode it's a bargain... it will make a lot of profit when it gets distributed overseas.
Post edited at 15:17
Moley 31 Mar 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Watched the final episode on catch-up, I was gripped by the whole series, enough twists and turns to keep us engaged with the plot. Thought Laurie an excellent villain, nice and smarmy on the outside so I could believe he had survived in the trade for years, with his "contacts".

Have to bear in mind this was a film of a book, I'm guessing the book was more complex and relationships built slower. Anyone read the book?
 creag 31 Mar 2016
In reply to Moley:

Very different ending to the book.
 Mikkel 31 Mar 2016
In reply to creag:

can you imagine the reaction if they had ended it the same way as the book?
I think there would have been people emailing the BBC demanding that Dickie was brought to justice lol
 ThunderCat 31 Mar 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

> I missed an episode too by forgetting to record it while at work.

> I torrented the episode.

Torrented and watched episodes 1 and 2 last night....like it!

Will do the rest on iPlayer..

Andy Long 31 Mar 2016
In reply to Andy Long:

I have to say that "Maigret" wasn't really up to snuff. Great actors (esp, Fiona Shaw), a good story and great Budapest locations. So how do you ruin that? With a pedestrian script. A triumph of style over substance I'm afraid.
 veteye 31 Mar 2016
In reply to Andy Long:

Actually I checked with a friend and Maigret was French.
Was it Georges Simenon who wrote the books?In French.
 Andy Long 31 Mar 2016
In reply to veteye:

Georges Simenon was Belgian but lived in Paris. Maigret was French. The present series was filmed in Budapest.
 veteye 31 Mar 2016
In reply to Andy Long:

Thank you for elucidating.
So did Mr Bean have the French accent? I did not see it.
 Andy Long 31 Mar 2016
In reply to veteye:

Non!
In reply to The Lemming:

Did anyone else notice in the first episode, when the prostitute hands Pine the weapons list, one of the weapons was an Avro Vulcan!
 veteye 31 Mar 2016
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

Good for a nuclear scramble within 4 minutes of the alert.
In reply to veteye:

and would explain why the last one flying was no longer available for airshows . No end to how much of a bastard Roper was!
 Pedro50 31 Mar 2016

> Did anyone else notice in the first episode, when the prostitute hands Pine the weapons list, one of the weapons was an Avro Vulcan!

Wasn't she Freddy junior's mistress? Slight difference I think.
 Tom Valentine 31 Mar 2016
In reply to Pedro50:

Pine's mate at the embassy didn't think so - he used the term "Freddie's whore". Jealous, obviously.
 wercat 01 Apr 2016

yes but did you also notice it was only 1/72nd scale!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...