UKC

Sport Climbing in Northern Italy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 6aplough 01 Mar 2016
Hi all,

Planning a trip to Northern Italy, flying into Milan, going to hit up val di mello for bouldering a couple of days and want to smash up a good sport crag as well, I haven't been able to find great information about the areas except that Arco is very polished and Lake Como is a lot of super multi-pitch routes.

My friend and I are single pitch warriors between 6a and 7a, wondering if anyone can offer an opinion on where to check out? Newish crags with 400 + routes would be ideal, any new gems people have visited? Or feel free to correct my minute information on Arco and Lake Como.

Cheers
Ben
 HeMa 01 Mar 2016
In reply to Benclark1989:

There's actually a few days worth of single pitch bolt clippin' in Mello. More if you venture up the (semi) bolted multipitches in the valley.

Ponte Brolla (in CH) is also worth a shoot, Chirinico and Cresciano also offer some of this bouldering thing...
 /tmp 02 Mar 2016

Sasso Remenno

Theres quite a bit in the val masino area though I'd try and pick up an english guide book before you go as you will struggle to find one once you're there.
 tjekel 02 Mar 2016

the area around lecco has lots of good single pitch as well.
 Casa Alfredino 03 Mar 2016
There's pretty extensive single pitch sport around our place in the central Dolomites, especially at Laste, Andraz, Val di Gares amongst others. A new guide to the area has just come out and you rarely if ever see anybody but Italians at there venues. Laste is particularly worth looking at in your grades. http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=22152
Post edited at 07:28
 johnmctighe 04 Mar 2016

I really enjoyed this area - Corma di Machaby (near Aosta)
Corma di Machaby

Its fully bolted but multipitch (10-15 pitches!) and slabby granite (i think) which makes a change from the usual pumpy limestone. There's a cool refugio at the top too.

Also useful as a rest day or if the weather is rubbish up in the Alps.

Cheers

AlanLittle 04 Mar 2016

There are plenty of newer / more outlying sectors in the Arco region that aren't polished, but personally I think it's overrated in general. I'm sure you can find equally good options nearer to Mello.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...