UKC

George Kennedy RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 01 Mar 2016

91 is a great innings, and it seems he had a rich life.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35693198?ocid=socialflow_faceb...

RIP
Post edited at 23:27
 Big Ger 02 Mar 2016
In reply to Timmd:

He was great in "The Eiger Sanction".
 sbc_10 02 Mar 2016
In reply to Timmd:

I'm pleased somebody has posted this. Never the superstar, but a great journeyman of an actor who made the space for the spotlight to shine on the others.
A good man.

BnB 02 Mar 2016
In reply to Timmd:
I was appalled when the BBC described him as "Naked Gun star George Kennedy". He won an Oscar for Cool Hand Luke, a superb prison drama in which he was outstanding opposite Paul Newman. If anyone hasn't seen it, I can't recommend it highly enough. One of the best lit prints ever. I wonder if Gordon S agrees.
Post edited at 07:49
 Rob Parsons 02 Mar 2016
In reply to BnB:

> I was appalled when the BBC described him as "Naked Gun star George Kennedy". He won an Oscar for Cool Hand Luke, a superb prison drama in which he was outstanding opposite Paul Newman. If anyone hasn't seen it, I can't recommend it highly enough. One of the best lit prints ever. I wonder if Gordon S agrees.

I imagine this user here has seen it: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/search.php?forum=0&dates=0&na...

(What's a 'lit print', by the way? )
 BnB 02 Mar 2016
In reply to Rob Parsons:

I meant the lighting is good. In fact it's terrific.

Apparently Newman only ate eight eggs during filming, or "8 8" as my teenage daughter would spell it.
 Rob Parsons 02 Mar 2016
In reply to BnB:

> I meant the lighting is good. In fact it's terrific.

Ah, right. Got it.

> Apparently Newman only ate eight eggs during filming ...

Only eight!? What a lightweight!

Off on a tangent, but another great Newman film of the same era (in fact, filmed in the same year, according to Wikipedia) is 'Hombre', based on the novel of the same name by Elmore Leonard. Highly recommended.
 Mick Ward 02 Mar 2016
In reply to Dave the Rave:

"Oh my Lucille!"

A great film - superb performances from Paul Newman and George Kennedy. RIP both.

Mick
andymac 02 Mar 2016
In reply to Timmd:
I liked him in Thunderbolt and Lightfoot.

He played a hit man.

His partner in crime was played by Geoffrey Lewis (father of Juliette).He died last year.
Post edited at 22:02
 sbc_10 02 Mar 2016
In reply to Dave the Rave:

When you look closely <cough,ahem>.... that film has a remarkable cast.....lots of fine actors.

Cú Chullain 03 Mar 2016
I was gutted when as a kid I was allowed to visit the flight deck of an aer linguistic flight to Dublin only to find George Kennedy was not at the controls.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...