UKC

Peak tomorrow: Will anywhere be dry?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 thomascarr 02 Mar 2016
East or West. I'm just desperate to get out whilst I'm relatively close by. How's it looking?
 Aly 02 Mar 2016
In reply to thomascarr:

Pretty wet in Sheffield thismorning but drying up. Westerley winds thisafternoon and tomorrow. Somewhere should be dry, I'd have a look at the webcams and try the ususal suspects (Burbage N, Higgar, Stanage, Curbar) if it's grit you're after.
 deepsoup 02 Mar 2016
In reply to Aly:
^ This. If it's grit you're after, every chance of finding something dry on the Eastern edges.

Looks pretty chilly though, if there's no significant rain overnight you might want to consider the more sheltered sun-trappy crags (eg: Rivelin, Lawrencefield, Froggatt).
 elliot.baker 02 Mar 2016
In reply to thomascarr:

I have this exact same question but for Saturday morning sport climbing!
OP thomascarr 02 Mar 2016
In reply to thomascarr:

Seems worth it! Thank you both.
In reply to thomascarr: New Mills Torrs, guaranteed, though wrap up warm against the wind.

Andy Morley 02 Mar 2016
In reply to thomascarr:

> East or West. I'm just desperate to get out whilst I'm relatively close by. How's it looking?

Sunday at the Roaches was pretty damn good - despite the overcast forecast, it was a beautify sunny day. All you can do is track the forecast, ask people here too and take a punt but I'll be up there again this weekend for sure.
 Timmd 02 Mar 2016
In reply to thomascarr:
There's been little rain today in Sheffield, some this morning but it seemed to stop at around ten-ish, and it's breezy too towards the outskirts on the west.
Post edited at 16:57
 llanberis36 02 Mar 2016
In reply to elliot.baker:

Hi

Always worth a look at garage buttress at stoney, raven tor-sardine, tin of, moat buttress in wcj, and dogs dinner buttress in chee was dry at the weekend

best of luck
In reply to thomascarr:
I drove from Macclesfied to Sheffield earlier today and was pretty taken aback by the difference between the two in terms of conditions.

Currently there isn't a spot of snow in sight here in Sheffield and there's only a small dusting on the higher crags (which has probably all gone now). Over in the west it is very different, so much so that I was actually quite worried I wasn't going to make it back over the Cat and Fiddle - snow everywhere and not a patch of grass in sight.

In short: if it continues to freeze then it could be mint in both areas, but if it does warm up then expect some melt over on the western front...

Hope that's of help!
Post edited at 17:08
 Timmd 02 Mar 2016
In reply to thomascarr:
A local in Sheffield has just mentioned there's the hint of snow over here, but I've not seen any, but it's cold and vaguely drizzly/wintry around where the countryside meets the west of the city at the mo.
Post edited at 17:31
 mattck 02 Mar 2016
In reply to Timmd:
Snow blizzards here this morning but rain for the rest of the day, so no settled snow/ice - crags are not likely to be dry but definitely climbable if the weather holds up... Day off work tomorrow so hoping to walk up to Baslow for a spot of Solo TR. I live in Calver, just down from Curbar/Baslow Edge so will try and remember to post in the morning and let you know if it's worth heading over...
Post edited at 20:20
 Timmd 02 Mar 2016
In reply to thomascarr:
It's pretty windy over the west of Sheffield at the mo and higher up - meaning it'll be windier still out in the Peak, so if it's not very rainy during the night, tomorrow Burbage and Stanage could be pretty dry, certainly climbable I'd have thought, and Rivelin too .
Post edited at 22:21
 mattck 03 Mar 2016
In reply to thomascarr:

Sure you're probably out already but man is it a glorious day for climbing today.
 Andy Morley 03 Mar 2016
In reply to thomascarr:

I'll be staying near Leek with a climbing partner and looking to climb at least one day this weekend so any 'on the ground' observations as to conditions in the Western Peak would be more than welcome!
 Offwidth 03 Mar 2016
In reply to Andy Morley:

This is pretty useful... forecast isn't great.

http://www.flashbarstores.co.uk/
 RyanOsborne 04 Mar 2016
In reply to thomascarr:

Anyone got any bright ideas for crags in the Peak that won't have a tonne of slushy snowmelt running down them all weekend?
 Andy Morley 04 Mar 2016
In reply to thomascarr:

According to the Met Office the Western Peak will be largely dry this weekend, but that's not what I'm hearing elsewhere. Anyone on the ground there now?
 Bulls Crack 04 Mar 2016
In reply to Andy Morley:

Thats what YR.no and bbc say too but its the melting snow that's the problem I suspect!
 Andy Morley 04 Mar 2016
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> Thats what YR.no and bbc say too but its the melting snow that's the problem I suspect!

Good point. Thanks.
 Iain Thow 05 Mar 2016
In reply to Andy Morley:

Snow to valley level in Castleton, +1.5C at 400m an hour ago so the snow is softish. It hasn't got all that cold so the turf isn't properly frozen. Some of the Kinder Cloughs would be fun clambers over snowy boulders and there might even be ice in a few places in the northern ones (my lane was icy this morning).
In reply to Andy Morley:

Rained overnight (in Froggatt), looks like it laid more snow down a couple of hundred feet above the valley bottom. Froggatt looks very Alpine! Fine rain at the moment. I'm heading for the ClimbingWorks later...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...