UKC

when to stretch?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 07 Mar 2016

I keep getting tight calves and groin, I do stretch post run but sometimes I find them getting painful and tight mid run on longer outings, then by the time I get back they're to sore to stretch.
Aside from not stretching cold muscles, is there a right time to stretch?
What about on off days, should stretching be done then too, if so how do you warm up?
Post edited at 16:28
 galpinos 07 Mar 2016
In reply to Pesda potato:

If you're having issues mid-run, why not do some light stretches after your warm up and see if that helps?
 Adam_Turner 07 Mar 2016

Dynamic stretching (I.e. Low impact jog) to begin with in order to raise your heart rate then static stretching after your run. Your muscles will stretch more after they've been warmed up. Various studies have shown that static stretching before physical activity basically doesn't do anything!

Don't neglect your hamstrings and glutes, runners and males are more likely to be 'top-heavy' with the quadriceps and weaker in the hamstrings. So basically you are screwed if your a male runner and especially if you run in the hills...

Have you tried using a foam roller on your off days?
 Yanis Nayu 07 Mar 2016

I do a whole body stretching routine prior to and after running. I don't think it's a problem to stretch cold muscles as long as you listen to your body - ballet dancers do it all the time without problem. The last time I ran without stretching beforehand I pulled my calf. You could also stretch after a warm-up jog.

Foam rolling is the bomb for sore, tight calves, as it a good massage.
 Static 07 Mar 2016

Quite often calf pain in runners is caused by weakness in the calf muscles. When the muscles are weak they rapidly fatigue when loaded and then feel like they tighten up. Stretching doesn't fix this problem.

Strengthening exercises such as standing heel raises might help. 10 repetitions a few times every day. Start on both legs and when that feels easy move on to one leg. Keep going for a few weeks. Once you can do 30 solid single leg heel raises your calves will be bomb proof.
 tony 07 Mar 2016
In reply to Static:

> Quite often calf pain in runners is caused by weakness in the calf muscles. When the muscles are weak they rapidly fatigue when loaded and then feel like they tighten up. Stretching doesn't fix this problem.

> Strengthening exercises such as standing heel raises might help. 10 repetitions a few times every day. Start on both legs and when that feels easy move on to one leg. Keep going for a few weeks. Once you can do 30 solid single leg heel raises your calves will be bomb proof.

And you can fit these kind of strengthening exercises to other daily routines - I do heel raises while I'm brushing my teeth.
 SouthernSteve 07 Mar 2016

Have a look at the James Dunne - Kinetic Revolution website for some stretching routines for calves to warm up and stretch before a run as well as lots of other information.

e.g. http://www.kinetic-revolution.com/how-to-foam-roll-your-calf-muscles/?utm_s...
 ranger*goy 08 Mar 2016
In reply to Static:

> Quite often calf pain in runners is caused by weakness in the calf muscles. When the muscles are weak they rapidly fatigue when loaded and then feel like they tighten up. Stretching doesn't fix this problem.

> Strengthening exercises such as standing heel raises might help. 10 repetitions a few times every day. Start on both legs and when that feels easy move on to one leg. Keep going for a few weeks. Once you can do 30 solid single leg heel raises your calves will be bomb proof.

Thanks for the tip. I've signed up for a 10k in Nov so this will be useful

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...