UKC

Declaring an accident?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Postmanpat 11 Mar 2016

OK, my wife had a minor scrape in her car a few months ago which we reported to the insurer but no claim was ever made by either party.
She is a named driver on my car. Do I need to report it to the insurer of my car? Would it invalidate my insurance when I am driving my car if I don't?

Mr. Lee 11 Mar 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:
No it wouldn't invalidate. *Technically* you're probably supposed to declare the accident to your insurer and declare it with any renewal quotes you get but if there's no claim then the accident never happened It might be different if the police were involved in the accident. A lot of insurance companies want to know about both accidents OR claims to calculate quotes but the former is honesty thing, given nothing on record. It may bump up your insurance costs at renewal time if you tell them.
Post edited at 20:18
In reply to Postmanpat:

If it did not involve the police and no claim was ever made, I wouldn't have thought it would have the slightest relevance. The best drivers in the world can have 'minor scrapes', and that's exactly what insurance is for (or one of the things it's for). Or rather medium-size scrapes upwards.
 Timmd 11 Mar 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:
I'm erring towards not saying anything if the police weren't involved and no claims have been made too, seeking confirmation that they definitely won't go any further might set my mind at rest, but I'm quite risk averse about that kind of thing.
Post edited at 20:32
In reply to Postmanpat:

No and No.

But expect your wife's insurance to rise.

Ignore the small print.
In reply to L'Eeyore:

> But expect your wife's insurance to rise.

Not sure about that. I had a major car crash in the mid-80s in which car was written off and I was badly injured (unconscious for a day and a half etc), plus I was to blame, and I think amazingly my premium didn't go up at all.

OP Postmanpat 11 Mar 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

Thx all. I eventually called my insurer who said if no claim then no need to report.
Will see what happens to wife's premium later this year.
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

I'm very cynical when it comes to insurance. Your claim was valid and justified (and you were obviously honest).

Reporting an accident to insurers (even if settled without making an insurance claim) seems to me to result in the cost of insurance rising. Happy to be proved wrong though.
In reply to L'Eeyore:

I have no memory about any claim I made - whether the insurance covered it, or whether they paid part of it, or whether I got nothing. I simply can't remember. But I was to blame, went to court, and was rightly done for 'Careless driving'. (I think 3 points off my licence, or it might even have been 6).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...