UKC

Keith Emerson RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Doug 12 Mar 2016
Got up early as I couldn't sleep, turned on the PC & saw the headline "Keith Emerson of Emerson, Lake and Palmer found dead aged 71 ". I wasn't a great fan of ELP but still regularly play his 'Five Bridges' suite from the Nice and the occasional ELP track. Does seem that 2016 isn't a good year for ageing rock stars
 felt 12 Mar 2016
In reply to Doug:

I bought Brain Salad Surgery for the name and the Giger cover but I can't say it grabbed me. The idea of doing a Hendrix/Townshend on an organ was a good one, though, if he was the first.

From now on, no year will be a good one for rock stars, or for the famous in general, as there are so many more of them.

veteye 12 Mar 2016
In reply to Doug:

Did you not see Big Ger's thread "not a good year"?
 veteye 12 Mar 2016
In reply to felt:

Brain Salad Surgery was hyped up,but did not live up to the hype.
Trilogy is the album I would recommend.
For The Nice, as said above The Five Bridges Suite, which includes Sibelius' Karelia suite. There is also a good "Best of The Nice" which includes "America" etc.

So there will be a glut of music and other stars in the next few years, then will there be a dearth as following them there was a lack of talent?
In reply to veteye:
I'd inherited my brother's taste for Zeppelin, Hendrix and Cream, but ELP, Yes and Bowie were 'my own' bands in the early 70's. Trilogy was the first ELP vinyl I bought and I agree, is the best of their albums. There's a piece of footage on YouTube which shows them rehearsing Karn Evil 9 part 2 which shows what extraordinary musicians they were.
Sad to hear about Keith's death. The ELP albums are loaded onto the hard drive in my car, and sit uneasily alongside Soundgarden, Slayer and Ice-T. Just how it should be.
 Bulls Crack 12 Mar 2016
In reply to veteye:

I can play the opening few bars of Trilogy...but precious little else by him!

one of my keyboard heroes along with Banks and Wakeman
 andy 12 Mar 2016
In reply to felt:

> I bought Brain Salad Surgery for the name and the Giger cover but I can't say it grabbed me. The idea of doing a Hendrix/Townshend on an organ was a good one, though, if he was the first.

> From now on, no year will be a good one for rock stars, or for the famous in general, as there are so many more of them.

A lad I was at school with thought it was by an artist called Brian Salad-Surgery...
 John Ww 12 Mar 2016
In reply to Doug:

I was at Newcastle City Hall when Pictures at an exhibition was recorded live, and Tarkus was played constantly in the 6th form common room.

JW
 felt 12 Mar 2016
In reply to andy:

Could well have been. Prog was full of the double-barrelled.
 freeflyer 12 Mar 2016
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Me too, the best jazz-rock pianist ever. Hang on to a Dream:

youtube.com/watch?v=QBHM_s0Ll1M&

If you just want the good stuff, go to 7:30
In reply to Doug:

Been playing The Nice and ELP all day. Really sad.
 felt 13 Mar 2016
In reply to veteye:

> So there will be a glut of music and other stars in the next few years, then will there be a dearth as following them there was a lack of talent?

No, they will now keep on coming ad infinitum.

Consider how many musicians, writers, photographers, sportspeople, politicians, media figures, &c, you can name from the 1940s and 50s. Start listing them from the 60s onwards -- quite literally thousands rather than what, tens? -- and you'll see my point. We are approaching a celebrity death avalanche.
 sbc_10 13 Mar 2016
In reply to felt:

> ...We are approaching a celebrity death avalanche.

Yes, due to the fact that their creative moment in the Sun was when 22 million of us sat down to watch TOTP on a regular basis. Any mere mortal starring on the tube, on celluloid or mentioned in the national press became a demi-god, those with talent became 'legendary'. Some forty years on, their moment is just as fresh and re-playable as ever yet the ravages of time takes its toll and sadly death has no mercy....

Was there a UKC memorial for the 'That's Life' dog that could say "sausages" ?? All moments in time ......
 Darron 13 Mar 2016
In reply to Doug:

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends................." Alas it has.
 Colin Moody 13 Mar 2016
In reply to Doug:

There was a lot more to him than ELP and The Nice. The shops should play his Christmas album in December.

I think this is great, Honky Tonky Train Blues

youtube.com/watch?v=ZvQIobg0BwU&
In reply to Doug:
His death has been reported / confirmed as suicide. A tragic end for a true artist and innovator.

As a Geordie, Five Bridges has special meaning to me, and have been an Emerson fan ever since. I have fond memories of driving through Riyadh in the 90's with the windows and sunroof wide open, and Jerusalem blasting out at full volume!

His music was so much more than the showmanship and bombast of ELP in their pomp.
Post edited at 15:15
In reply to Doug:

I briefly got into ELP during my prog rock phase in the late 70s/early80s. One song in particular I remembered a single line from. I can't have listened to it more than half a dozen times even back then. I hunted down the track yesterday from my memory of that single line. It turned out to be a 20 minute epic called 'Memoirs of an Officer and a Gentleman'. Slightly naff track but with a decent story in the lyrics. The amazing thing was that when I played it again today, my brain was able to dig out the lyrics and the tune from the depths of memory. It was all still in there! A slight waste of synapses maybe but stunning how the brain works after 35 years!

This search did remind me of possibly the naffist album cover ever on ELP's Love Beach Album
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Beach#/media/File:ELP_Love_Beach_cover.j...

Alan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...