UKC

Cuillin Ridge this weekend

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Had been thinking about doing the Ridge this w/e but is there going to be anything left or all turned to mush during this weeks thaw? Any thoughts? I'm asking because it's a 13 hour journey for me to get there so I'd be grateful for any info you can offer.
 goatee 16 Mar 2016
In reply to Cuillin Calling:

I there. I was oking across towards Skye yesterday and there was certainly some snow in the eastern corries but I suspect the crest will be stripped bare.
In reply to goatee:

Ok thanks very much for getting back to me. Kind of what I suspected.
 BruceM 16 Mar 2016

Mike Lates will know the real score.

It was still great 2 weekends ago, although dodgy breaking crust on big ballooning powder crest along main ridge.

But up here in Scotland it really is warm. Aonach Mor was stripped on the summit this last Sunday as were its W face ridges, and its gullies were full of porridge snow with water pouring off the hills everywhere.

If you are after a snow traverse, unfortunately I think it is a bit late, and I wouldn't drive all that way... But on the bright side it has been nice and dry for a while The rock will start to look very good.

Bruce
 drunken monkey 16 Mar 2016

Skye is always worth it in this weather. Even if the ridge line is snow free, it'll be brilliant.

No midgies either.

Win-Win.

Go for it
 Jezzer 16 Mar 2016
Was on the section between Bruach Na Frithe and the Basteir Tooth on Monday 14th

Snow on part of the ridge crest but no ice. Soloed a snow gully up and down the north side of Sgurr a Fionn Choire summit

Warm and sunny yesterday but will take the snow a while to disappear completely
Post edited at 13:23
 Mark Collins 16 Mar 2016

Photo here from 17 hours ago:
https://twitter.com/search?q=%23cuillin&src=typd
 Mike Lates 16 Mar 2016

Excellent summer Traverse conditions but axe needed and would be wise to have crampons or at least mini spikes in case snow suddenly goes hard.
 Tom Last 17 Mar 2016

On the ridge yesterday. No snow that couldn't be avoided between Sgurr Dearg and Sgur Mic Coinneach (sp) other than big patches of soft snow beneath An Stac. No crampons needed for any of those sections. Much of the rest of the ridge looked to be similar.
 Lloydfletch 17 Mar 2016
In reply to Mike Lates:

Hi Mike,

Do you think any of the crags will be in any time soon? Teacher here, thinking of the easter break! Not climbed on sron na ciche yet and am very keen to do so.

Thanks.
 Tom Last 18 Mar 2016
In reply to Lloydfletch:

They were a couple of days ago!

Thanks to everyone who got in touch. In the end I spent a great couple of days enjoying the alpine conditions in Lochaber. I wanted to do the Ridge in full winter conditions as I've already done it in summer conditions. Your tips helped make up my mind to wait for the next winter season to do it. Many thanks anyway as it was certainly worth the trip to Glencoe/Fort Bill.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...