UKC

Should a climbing forum.......

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
.....permit posts along the lines of "x (strong female boulderer) looks like a man"?

jcm
 alx 16 Mar 2016
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Rather than the mods dictate what can and cannot be discussed, we as climbers should speak out against threads or themes which the views contained are not acceptable.

BW
Alex
 climbingpixie 16 Mar 2016

It's a tough question. On the one hand I don't agree with censorship - people should be able to post things which might be considered offensive - and in an ideal world they'd be shouted down/roundly abused for being an knob. But it depends on whether it starts to affect the culture or perception of the forum and make it an unwelcoming place for women, in which case the site owners would be within their rights to remove it.

I had a debate a bit ago with a friend along these lines, about the now departed UKB 'DFBWGC' thread. I thought the comments and the atmosphere on that thread definitely created an unwelcoming vibe for women and I felt uncomfortable with a site that allowed that level of objectification to exist unchecked. So yeah, it depends if it's a comment or a symptom of a culture.

Only if she has a beard that would look good at a ZZ Top concert, and then only in jest; otherwise no.

T.
 digby 16 Mar 2016

> .....permit posts along the lines of "x (strong female boulderer) looks like a man"?

It's no more edifying than "x (strong male boulderer) looks like a girl" A stupid statement that should be derided.
 faffergotgunz 16 Mar 2016

Ok if it permitz 'X European top climber looks like a girl' aswell...

(Cause we all no dat iz true)
 malk 16 Mar 2016

as a feminist (3/4 wave), it's ok with me..
 Yanis Nayu 16 Mar 2016

It's certainly not a pleasant thing to post, but I guess the condemnation it's likely to attract is maybe better than the mods censoring and removing it.

> .....permit posts along the lines of "x (strong female boulderer) looks like a man"?

> jcm

The answer is probably yes, because these forums would probably die an instant death without this continual (maybe life-affirming?) propensity to throw up deliciously daft subjects of discussion.
 Scarab9 16 Mar 2016

Is this a thread that's been pulled? Is this another delusion by some that a forum run as part of a business is a consequence free platform to say whatever offensive crap they want?

What I'd that post came up in a Google search for something and the site got slammed for it? Why does the posters view matter more than the reputation of the site and the feelings of those offended and put off a place they normally enjoy?

No. It's not a place for it.
In reply to Scarab9:

>Is this a thread that's been pulled?

No. Call it an academic reflection.

jcm
In reply to alx:

> we as climbers should speak out against threads or themes which the views contained are not acceptable.

I always love those meaningless feelgood expressions like 'we as climbers'. What if I just want to post as, y'know, a person or something?

Anyhow, isn't that a bit late? If the reason why crap like this shouldn't be published is that it's hurtful, then once it's been published it's too late to 'speak out', isn't it? Not everything's about the sisterhood and resisting the objectification of wimmin. Although mind you such an observation is pretty disgusting from that point of view as well.

jcm
 Indy 16 Mar 2016
In reply to alx:

> we as climbers should speak out against threads or themes which the views contained are not acceptable.

If you don't like someone else's POV then close the thread and move on or express your opinion and debate it.
 Sir Chasm 16 Mar 2016

I always love these meaningless threads about some imagined slight.

But, if this is the moral maze, hello Melanie.
In reply to Indy:

> express your opinion and debate it.

What a good idea.

"X looks like a man"

"No, she doesn't, she's hot. I'd do her."

That should help.

jcm
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> ....the condemnation it's likely to attract ....

If only. In my experience such observations are seldom if ever challenged.

jcm
 ScottTalbot 16 Mar 2016

I personally think any post that is there purely to upset/insult someone, and let's not kid ourselves, it would be quite upsetting for the lady in question, should be censored. I'm not a fan of censorship, but sometimes it's a necessary evil.

Something I may say jokingly to my friends may not be acceptable aired in public, where it can hurt someone's feelings.
 Dr.S at work 16 Mar 2016

> If only. In my experience such observations are seldom if ever challenged.

> jcm

do you see what i did there?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...