UKC

And Cliff Michelmore

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 17 Mar 2016
Another RIP
 The New NickB 17 Mar 2016
In reply to FesteringSore:

I thought he had died a few years ago to be honest. 96 isn't a bad innings!
In reply to FesteringSore:

One of the greatest and most likeable of all TV broadcasters. Groundbreaking, yet quintessentially English.
 lummox 17 Mar 2016
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

I'm intrigued Gordon- in what way was he groundbreaking ? Please excuse my ignorance -he was already an established figure by the time I was born.
In reply to lummox:

Somehow very modern. Didn't have the old type of BBC voice. Very much more genial and laid back than any before (I think), rather in the manner of Terry Wogan. A new style really. Very relaxed and unpompous. His programmes, Tonight, etc, had a new feel, much more magazine-ish. He seems timeless really. He certainly doesn't seem v old fashioned to me looking at old clips of him now.
 lummox 17 Mar 2016
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

I guess so..as you say, he didn't sound like the "hyse gryce" types of the 1940s. I was just curious, not really recalling telly before the mid to late 70s, by which time that sort of magazine style was fairly well established.
 The New NickB 17 Mar 2016
In reply to lummox:

I think the work he did on Highlight and Tonight in the 50s was considered quite groundbreaking at the time. Linking to another famous recent death, he was responsible for that famous studio discussion in 1964 that included a 17 year old David Jones.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...