UKC

Transit van window/vent fitting

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 1poundSOCKS 17 Mar 2016
I just bought a 2010 Transit SWB to convert into a camper. First job is to get some windows and a roof vent fitted. Any advice appreciated, and currently looking for somewhere in the West Yorkshire area to get them done?

Thanks.
 Nicola 17 Mar 2016
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

Ditto, except mine is a vivaro. I've explored windows a lot. Just need to decide how many and whether the benefit of tinted glass for privacy outweighs the less light that gets in. found somewhere that sells 6 windows with 2 sliders for under £600. It's a fair bit more to get them fitted. Would be interested in others views, and experiences.
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

For windows I can recommend Van Windows Direct (Castleford).
OP 1poundSOCKS 17 Mar 2016
In reply to Nicola:

> Just need to decide how many and whether the benefit of tinted glass for privacy outweighs the less light that gets in.

Privacy for me I reckon. Had it before on a Bongo.
In reply to Stuart (aka brt):

> For windows I can recommend Van Windows Direct (Castleford).

I've checked out their site, thanks for the recommendation. Did you get them fitted, or did you just buy the windows?
 roperat 17 Mar 2016
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

I fitted a solar roof vent to our transporter (one of these http://www.sunshinesolar.co.uk/khxc/index.php?app=gbu0&ns=prodshow&... Easy to install, though it is somewhat unnerving cutting a 4 inch hole in the roof, and really efficient paired with wind deflectors on the cab Windows at keeping condensation down at night.
On the windows front, tinted glass does make every sunset look pretty spectacular.
 Nicola 17 Mar 2016
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

Vanpimps.co.uk have been the cheapest if you are fitting yourself
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

Had them fitted. Turned up early doors, drank coffee while waiting. The biggest wait is letting the adhesive cure. Knowing what I know now I'd probably have a go at cutting and fitting myself but at not much more cash for fitting it's maybe worth the peace of mind.
In reply to roperat:

The link doesn't seem to work, what's a solar roof vent? Presume it has solar panels on it.
In reply to Nicola:

Not sure I have the confidence to cut holes in my nice van.

And fitting isn't that expensive, considering how much the van and windows cost.
In reply to Stuart (aka brt):

Thanks. Was tempted to get one fitted on the door, that way if they made a bad job of it, it's maybe not a disaster, but sounds like they know what they're doing.
 roperat 17 Mar 2016
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

It's basically a solar powered fan which can be set for in and out. Check out sunshinesolar.co.uk. I fitted the one with a battery so that it runs all night and it keeps on top of the condensation created by two sleeping adults and one toddler without being too noisy.
In reply to roperat:

Okay, thanks. I'll have a look, but I was thinking more a large vent which lets light in, but has a blind built in.
 smollett 18 Mar 2016
Im also currently doing a transit. my insurance specify that windows have to be professionally fitted and obviously this is a mod to declare on the policy.

I was going to fit them myself. Also going for privacy glass
OP 1poundSOCKS 18 Mar 2016
In reply to smollett:

> this is a mod to declare on the policy.

Thanks. How did it affect your premium?
 JuanTinco 18 Mar 2016
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:
We converted a SWB Vivaro last year (in hindsight a transit would have been better!) Would recommend getting someone external to fit the windows. I did one side, but wasn't worth the hassle/time against how much it cost to get a window fitted (think it was about £150) Roof vents are pretty easy to do thought, just worth banging some extra sealant on the roof after, even if fitted properly the seals tend to break down over time.

We are insured with Adrian Flux if that helps - they are pretty good really, just tell them about the modifications we do. Worth taking some pictures once it's all done and sending them off to the DVLA and asking for it to be re-reigstered as a motorhome, if you're lucky they'll write back and say no, but you can register it as a MPV, which seemed to help with insurance.

I'll pop some pictures up later if I remember.

Juan

P.S - not sure from your OP if you are thinking of getting one or both done. Would recommend getting the non door side first, as when you are in it and have the door open you don't lose your window as well. (hope that makes sense)
Post edited at 14:25
 Alex Riley 18 Mar 2016
In reply to JuanTinco:

Did a side window and two rear ones earlier in the year. The back ones were fine but the heavy side window was a pain. Would probably get someone to do it for me I'd I did it again.
OP 1poundSOCKS 18 Mar 2016
In reply to JuanTinco:

> not sure from your OP if you are thinking of getting one or both done.

One on each side, door and opposite the door, and two rear windows, I think. Haven't 100% decided. Currently wondering if I need an opening window, for better ventilation when it's hot.
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

> Thanks. Was tempted to get one fitted on the door, that way if they made a bad job of it, it's maybe not a disaster, but sounds like they know what they're doing.

I did a bit of Googling and they always seemed to get recommended.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...