UKC

Ben Nevis, Tower Gully, Cornice?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 thedatastream 18 Mar 2016
Howdo

Does anyone have any idea what the cornices are like at the top of the Ben Nevis gullies, particularly Tower Gully (I)? Was wanting to take some less experienced winter folk up Ben Nevis via a more scenic route. I've had a look at various blogs etc but only Mike Pescod's blog - http://www.abacusmountainguides.com/blog/tower-ridge1 - has any current info on the gullies.

Other grade I gully suggestions with plenty of atmosphere and preferably not monster cornices would be gratefully received.

Ta

drunken monkey 18 Mar 2016
In reply to thedatastream:

Ken Applegate was in Coire Na Ciste yesterday:

http://www.westcoast-mountainguides.co.uk/news/nice-quiet-green-gully-ben-n...
 AlH 18 Mar 2016

Sorry don't know the answer to your query but worth pointing out that Max Hunter was working on Ben Nevis yesterday and reported a large cornice collapse coming down a long way out of No.3 Gully on Facebook.
OP thedatastream 18 Mar 2016
Thanks for the info folks.

We've got Green Gully, Good Friday Climb, Comb Gully and Tower Ridge on our possible list for next week too.

Ledge Route might make another good easy option
Post edited at 15:33

Ledge Route was fine on Wed. Pure mush on the initial ledges, a bit nervy there, but it firmed up with height. Patchy in places on the ridge though, but that's spring for you. The No5 cornice was still pretty big, so watch out for that
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Thanks Dan
 KA 18 Mar 2016
Hi, quite a few folk have descended Tower Gully over the past couple of days, maybe just be wary of debris coming down from the Upper Tower Cascades which will catch the sun. No. 2 Gully has seen a few ascents too, but No. 3 looks heavily corniced, some of which, as already mentioned, collapsed yesterday. No. 4 was skied a couple of days a go, and folk were descending it yesterday. No. 5 is catching lots of sunshine, and probably worth avoiding.

Comb Gully was reported to be a bit soft in places yesterday, and looking at it from The White Line today, the Left Flank variation (which is actually to the right of the gully) looked better. The upper slopes of Comb Gully are still catching plenty of sunshine at the moment. Comb Gully Buttress looked better, but there are no steps up it.

Good Friday Climb was climbed today and reported to be fine.

Hope that helps!
Post edited at 16:37
 Tim Davies 18 Mar 2016
In reply to KA:

Comb was ok- first time axes, just harder than usual to protect. The loose blocks worried me (or my second) more than threatening ice.

The ice off to the right (going up) didn't look that well attached from what I could see.

In reply to KA:

Top stuff, many thanks Ken and all

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...