UKC

John Williams - guitarist

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Say 18 Mar 2016
BBC Four right now - stunning retrospective of John Williams' work on the guitar. Some gobsmacking virtuosity on display!
 coinneach 18 Mar 2016
In reply to Andy Say:

I once saw him play at an Amnesty International gig in London. He played the theme from The Deerhunter and unbeknown to him a fake stag walked across the stage behind him.

At this, the Spitting Image puppet of Prince Philip popped up in one of the boxes and fired a shotgun at it.

He never even blinked . . . .
 Trangia 18 Mar 2016
In reply to Andy Say:

Brilliant "duet" with Les Dawson playing off key!! As John Williams said, that's actually very hard to do deliberately......
In reply to Trangia:
Les Dawson was a master of that deliberately off-tune piano playing whilst actually being very accomplished. Sadly there seem to be no recordings of him playing seriously.
OP Andy Say 18 Mar 2016
In reply to Andy Say:

I'd have liked to see the clip of him playing with Pete Townshend. My recollection is that John Williams described Townshend as one of the best chord players he had played with.
 Welsh Kate 18 Mar 2016
In reply to Andy Say:

When I was a student I rented a room off a composer who was a friend of John Williams. One night I was watching TV and my landlord came in with a bloke and introduced us. It was John Williams. We watched tv together and chatted and it was hard to imagine this seemingly normal bloke was a guitar virtuoso. I think we may have been watching Dallas!
 planetmarshall 21 Mar 2016
In reply to Welsh Kate:

> We watched tv together and chatted and it was hard to imagine this seemingly normal bloke was a guitar virtuoso.

You should have asked him to play the theme to Star Wars. Bet he loves that.

toad 21 Mar 2016
In reply to Andy Say:
I may still have sky1 and sky2 somewhere

OP Andy Say 21 Mar 2016
In reply to toad:

I do! Westway is a great track to use behind a slide show!
OP Andy Say 21 Mar 2016
In reply to Andy Say:

And quite nice to talk about a musician who hasn't just died

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...