UKC

Translation from German, please.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ian Parsons 20 Mar 2016
I'm hoping that this is the most appropriate forum.

Can anyone supply a translation for the German verb "huifen"? It's familiar neither to me nor to the various (short) dictionaries that I've consulted. I presume it's a verb; it's in the third person singular form "huift". Colloquial/dialect, I would have thought; it appears alongside the "nix" form of nicht/nichts. It's part of a German route-name of which I'm pondering the significance.
 StefanB 20 Mar 2016
In reply to Ian Parsons:

It's likely to be a local dialect version of "hilft nichts", as in "nothing can be done".
In reply to Ian Parsons:

Huift is not a German word. The closest I can think of is hueft (ie huft with an umlaut on the u) which is the German for hip joint.
cb294 20 Mar 2016
In reply to Ian Parsons:

steff is correct, Bavarian dialect version of hilft (to help, 3ps).

"Huift nix" can sometimes mean that something is not beneficial in a given situation (as in Aspirin "huift nix" against a broken leg).

More likely, though, is a second connotation, where it is used to indicate that nothing else can be done to improve the current situation, so that one might as well start the job at hand without further ado (as in: Can't find a way get that pro in. "Huift nix", might as well start climbing without...)

CB
OP Ian Parsons 20 Mar 2016
In reply to StefanB:

Ah - thanks very much. I'd wondered about helfen, but thought it might be too different. So would "S'huift ja nix" likely translate as "That certainly doesn't help/That's not going to help, then/We're right out of options", or similar?
 iknowfear 20 Mar 2016
In reply to Ian Parsons:

huifen = Bavarian or Austrian for helfen

s'huift alles nix = it's pointless (often used as: stop whining, sack up and do it)

whats the entire route name?
In reply to cb294:

> More likely, though, is a second connotation, where it is used to indicate that nothing else can be done to improve the current situation, so that one might as well start the job at hand without further ado (as in: Can't find a way get that pro in. "Huift nix", might as well start climbing without...)

That would fit - as in "Nothing else is going to get us out of here, so I'd better start drilling this bolt ladder"! Thanks for that.

In reply to iknowfear:

> whats the entire route name?

S'Huift Ja Nix.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...