UKC

London/oyster cards

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
So currently on the train to London. Only just realised I need an oyster card to get about.... Oops!

Anyway done some google searching and most info I can find suggests that you apply and get them posted to you.

But surely I can get one at a station when i arrive?...
 Swirly 24 Mar 2016
In reply to paul_the_northerner:

If you've got a contactless card you can just use that, costs the same as oyster. Or as you suggest you can get an Oyster card from a station or shop that does top-ups.

Since they went to contactless I've stopped using my Oyster card,
 climbwhenready 24 Mar 2016

Yes, use a contactless bank card, it's a lot easier!

Otherwise all stations and ticket machines will give you one. It's a £5 deposit that you get back when you give it back.
In reply to Swirly:

Super, I shall keep my eyes open when I get to the station. I don't fancy walking all the way across London! :P
 Oujmik 24 Mar 2016

Yep, contactless bank card all the way. If you're not familiar with the system, you need to touch in and out on trains/tube *even if there is no barrier* but only touch once on buses as it's a flat rate per journey.
 Pedro50 25 Mar 2016
In reply to Oujmik:

I couldn't seem to use contactless on the train as it did't know my destination and therefore how much to charge?
 Oujmik 25 Mar 2016
In reply to Pedro50:

It has to be a London train so if you were travelling on a train that took you out of London you couldn't have used Oyster or contactless. On the tube and trains within London you touch in when you board the train and touch out at the destination so it knows the correct charge (otherwise it will just default to the maximum daily fare).
 marsbar 25 Mar 2016
In reply to Pedro50:
That is why you have to touch in and out.

When you go further than London you may need a ticket as well or instead. Worth knowing that if you want to go to some places just outside London you can save quite a bit if you can be bothered to get off the train at the last oyster station, touch out and then have a ticket from there.

Did this for Gatwick but apparently thats now got oyster.
Post edited at 10:40
 Pedro50 25 Mar 2016
In reply to Oujmik:

Well it seemed to be in London. There was an Oyster reader at the destination. I will have another go sometime. Cheers.
 cezza 25 Mar 2016

Readers work with ApplePay as well.

Cezza

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...