UKC

Solar panels for van

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hey folks, I presume a few of you have done this sort of thing so any help much appreciated. I am looking for a portable panel that I can put on the roof while out walking with a battery inside. This would really only need to charge a laptop, but a bit of extra juice for head torch batteries and mobile phone would be good too.. any recommendations on what and where to buy. Would I correct in thinking that a 20-25w panel would be sufficient.
Cheers
Colin
m0unt41n 24 Mar 2016
In reply to bedsforsleepypeople:

I hate to say this but the first thing that sprung to my mind was also a sign saying that there is something worth nicking in the van.
In reply to m0unt41n:

Yeah good point, i did think about that but it is quite a high van and it is for more remote locations I suppose.
 cuppatea 24 Mar 2016

Have you considered a split charge system and a second (leisure) battery for charging your gadgets?
In reply to cuppatea:

I better come clean and explain I have Japanese import camper so has 110v set up. To tight to get the convert. Never really been fussed for the full camper set up (sink etc) but a charge up of phone/laptop could be handy. So I do have a leisure battery but unless it is charged while driving it does not last long, therefore a solar panel to help.
 Siward 25 Mar 2016

Have you thought about permanently sticking a panel to the roof, feeding the leisure battery. Less prone to theft and cny devices you can charge through a usb socket like this wired to the battery:

http://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/12v-24v-recessed-twin-usb-power-socket-5v-21a...
 wintertree 25 Mar 2016

> ... 110v ...

Most laptop, phone and tablet chargers etc these days work just fine on both 110v and 230v. Check the writing on them - you probably just need a plug adapter.

Edit: Time for a new leisure battery if it's not lasting? Bimblesolar are good for all sorts of panels and associated electrics.
Post edited at 12:48

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...