UKC

T nuts for woodie

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 catt 25 Mar 2016
Screw fixed or pronged?

I was going to look at Core's two screw nuts as I've had a mission in the past individually seating pronged nuts.

Any advice on one type vs another in terms of strength and longevity? And any advice on sourcing appreciated.
 Fraser 25 Mar 2016
In reply to catt:

Hi stranger - I used pronged for my woodie and have only had one issue in about 700 placements. I got mine from Core a while back now - not sure if they did the screw-in ones then. How many are you looking for as I probably have a few spare kicking about which you could have?
OP catt 25 Mar 2016
In reply to Fraser:

Hey Fraser!

Thanks for the advice and offer.

I haven't figured an exact count/spacing yet, but probably around 400-500 initially (around 5-6 sheets worth of 2.4x1.2m ply) and more for 'phase 2'.

Our office is moving next week so I'm hoping to start getting back to TCA a bit, so hopefully catch you soon.

Alex Riley 25 Mar 2016
In reply to catt:

We has issues with the first part of our wall, with nuts (pronged) breaking out. They were just hammered in (we also put small screws in the back. The second time we put some glue on the back of each tightened them in by hand. Takes much longer but we haven't had any break and the bolts go in easy.

Having quality bolts is good too, cheap ones quickly ruin tnuts.

Hope that helps
OP catt 26 Mar 2016
In reply to Alex Riley:

What sort of glue did you use?
 Alex Riley 26 Mar 2016
In reply to catt:

Stixall. You only need a tiny amount per nut. One tube would do lots, we did 300 and it tdidbt make a big dent in the tube
 ro8x 26 Mar 2016
In reply to catt:

I used Anixter in Sheffield for the nuts and M10 bolts too - quite good prices.
 Paul Crusher R 26 Mar 2016
In reply to catt:

I've found the quality of the ply makes a difference to how well the nuts grab. Softwood and cheap Chinese hardwood tend to pop out easier. If your only doing 500 it would probably just as easy to get screw fix. I've used a place called Nuts of Chorley they are about as cheap as you'll find anywhere. Industrial suppliers so you'll get your bolts cheap also.
 Rick Graham 26 Mar 2016
In reply to Paul Crusher R:

As Paul states use good quality ply.

Also drill the exact/ideal hole diameter, neat and square, to hold the T nut snugly.

Drawing, rather than hammering the T nut into the wood ensures it is square to the timber.
Well worth the extra time IMHO.
 Joyce 26 Mar 2016
In reply to catt:

Morning Camper,

I recently hammered about 1200 T-nuts into the ply sheets of my home wall. I've only had one shear and one fall out - one not hammered in flat and for the other the wood had imperfections in it around the T-nut. Other than that, we're all good. I noticed that you mentioned TCA too, if that's TCA Bristol then I've got approximately 600 spare T-nuts (I increased the 'measurement between T-nuts' from my plans when it came down to actually drilling all them holes) that I can give ya for nowt as they're currently cluttering up my shed. PM me if you're keen. Also, I got my bolts off of ebay and can let you know the shop too.

Love from,
Joyce,
XXXX

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...