UKC

Easy route up the Snowdown + Camping advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Karakoramian 25 Mar 2016
Hello all

I'm returning from an injury and not looking to push it back again! Taking it easy.

Can someone suggest a fairly easy (or let's say the easiest) route up the Snowdown for this Easter break. Ideally, I can park somewhere near as well.

Extending to that, any suggestions for a very nice picturesque spot near the area to camp for a night or two.

Thanks a lot.
 Owen W-G 25 Mar 2016
In reply to Karakoramian:

Take long but easy llanberis path with the tourists, alongside railway track. Notice board says 6hs up and down from llanberis but wife and I did it in 3.5

Camp at basic site opposite vangol inn in Nant peris, good pub.
 Owen W-G 25 Mar 2016

Plenty of all day parking options in llanberis for £4
In reply to Owen W-G:

The pub is the Vaynol, just to correct the typo.

T.
 Mick Ward 25 Mar 2016

Take it easy on the first uphill bit. It's a bit of a bugger and it's tempting to think, "Sod this!"

But, if you press on, things level off, you kind of get your second wind, you get into it and the rest is utterly enjoyable.

And, when you get back down again, you've definitely earned those pints!

It's a very special mountain. Good luck.

Mick
Karakoramian 25 Mar 2016

Thank you everyone.

The route seems pretty decided.

Camping, is that the best place for sunrise pics of the mountain/lake? They look ordinary.

My question was if anyone tried wild camping (there are many videos on YouTube), what would be an ideal picturesque location?
 afshapes 25 Mar 2016

.*Snowdon
Karakoramian 25 Mar 2016
In reply to afshapes:

Yup. I keep on missing on that despite Google correcting me so many times!
In reply to Mick Ward:

> Take it easy on the first uphill bit. It's a bit of a bugger and it's tempting to think, "Sod this!"

I think the road to the start of the path is the steepest bit!

Please don't take the Llanberis path. It's exceedingly long and dull and has almost nothing to recommend it. My recommendation for what you are asking (easy/fairly easy i.e no scrambling) is the route via Rhyd Ddu. Takes you straight to the summit by a beautiful, quite direct and very scenic route.

The route:
http://www.eryri-npa.gov.uk/visiting/walking/mountain-walks/rhyd-ddu-path

There's superb camping at the Cwellyn Arms. http://www.snowdoninn.co.uk/camping_site.html
Post edited at 23:25
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

I'd disagree, the Snowdon Ranger is a better route and the camping at the Cwellyn Arms is expensive (do they still use the hound that eats frozen chickens to get rid of all the tourists at chucking out time?) Better to bivvy under Cloggy to split the route into two stages.
In reply to L'Eeyore:

Yes, Snowdon Ranger is pretty good, would be my second choice re good walk. OK, it takes you over the top of Cloggy, but then it's a bit nondescript and finishes up the ghastly path beside the railway.

Must say, have no recent experience of that campsite.
In reply to L'Eeyore:

There's just something so charming and satisfying about the Rhyd Ddu route, and the way it takes you so quietly, with so few tourists and so little erosion, directly to the summit.

I'd like to recommend the Ranger path and down the Rhyd Ddu path and back along the old railway line (after a pint or two in the local). Some idiots decided to rule out that option a few year ago though.
In reply to L'Eeyore:

That sounds good. I suppose the snag with doing it the other way round is you miss out the pub.

I'm sure you know this, but the Ranger path does not go over the top of Cloggy. There is an superb scramble that does link the two paths though. Couple this with a quick run down Cribau, a pint or two in the pub and a run back over Crib Goch makes for a fantastic afternoon - probably not what the OP wanted though so I'll shut up now.
In reply to L'Eeyore:
Oh gosh. it's so many aeons since I did most of them. I'll have to look at the map again. Are you sure you're right?
Post edited at 00:19
In reply to L'Eeyore:

I think my memory's better than yours Scroll down to map:

http://www.summitpost.org/snowdon-ranger-path/156152
In reply to L'Eeyore:
By Cloggy I meant, of course, the most famous crag in England and Wales.
Post edited at 00:18

You are correct. Sorry, memory is getting a bit old!
 UKH Forums 26 Mar 2016
This thread was started in the LOCAL AREAS forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

HILLTALK
A general forum for topics relating to hillwalking. Discuss walks you have been on, great scrambles, the best ridges, Munro-bagging and longer multi-day walks.

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html

Plenty of good advice here. For more on routes and accommodation you could check out our mini guide to Snowdon: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/page.php?id=7753
 Mick Ward 26 Mar 2016
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:
> I think the road to the start of the path is the steepest bit!

Agree; that's what I meant, probably put it badly.

Back in the dreaded 80s, a Scouse mate of mine had a 'taxi to Cloggy' wheeze. Find unsuspecting taxi driver, fill taxi with as many of the great unwashed as you can nab (solely for their contribution to the negligible cost), head err, uphill on this very road. Back then you could get quite a way (even though the road deteriorated!) It became a point of pride for my Scouse mate to exhort the poor taxi driver to grinding, spring-wrenching efforts.

My response was thus: "If it were my taxi, I'd tell the lot of you to sod off."

His response, "Ah, but it's not your taxi, now, is it?"

The taxi wheeze got us up the worst part (just as well as we were all completely unfit) and we could happily head for Cloggy.

Mick
Post edited at 10:20
Karakoramian 26 Mar 2016

Gordon and everyone else, thanks so much.

Very useful stuff. Trip almost planned!
Karakoramian 26 Mar 2016

How is the Miners as compared to Ranger and Rhud Ddu??
Well, much more frequented, and much more 'reconstructed' because of wear and tear. You trudge for a long way past several attractive lakes (llyns) along a path that's almost more like a pavement than a mountain track (I think it it's tarmacked to start wth, IIRC) then join the not very attractive, heavily engineered zig-zags of the Pyg Track, then follow the railway. The Pyg Track is a bit better, but the most popular route on the mountain.
Post edited at 19:55
 Glyno 26 Mar 2016

Park in Llanberis and get the Snowdon Sherpa (bus) to Pen y pas. Walk to Snowdon summit by the PYG track and then down the Llanberis path back to your car.
 Bimble 26 Mar 2016

Park down the bottom, do the Watkins path, enjoy the peace & quiet.
In reply to Bimble:

Watkin path isn't that great for some people, the scree, exposure and the possibility of getting of route can lead to a bit of a 'mare. A good route though.
 Bimble 27 Mar 2016
In reply to L'Eeyore:

The absence of idiot tourists does it for me
Karakoramian 27 Mar 2016
In reply to Bimble:

lol!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...