UKC

Mystery e-mail

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 29 Mar 2016

I've just received the following e-mail:

Dear Site Member,

Fair Processing Notice - Data Protection Act 1998

We are writing to let you know that with effect from 27 January 2016, the Slashdot Media business, which provides e-mail alerts and information campaigns and online services through our e-mail lists and various web sites including Slashdot.org and SourceForge.net (the "Slashdot Media Services") has been purchased by SourceForge Media LLC of 1660 Logan Avenue, San Diego, California, 92113, USA ("we" or "us").

As a result your personal data have been transferred to us and will be used in connection with the continued provision of the Slashdot Media Services to you. Your personal data will continue to be processed fairly and lawfully in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 for the same purposes as those it was originally collected by Dice Career Solutions Inc and/or eFinancialCareers Limited including to:

* continue to provide you with information (by electronic means or otherwise) about other services we offer that are similar to those that you have already received or enquired about;
* carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us;
* provide you with the information and services you request from us;
* tell you about changes to the Slashdot Media Services; and
* ensure that the content made available through the Slashdot Media Services is presented in the most effective manner for you and your device.

Further information on how your personal data may be processed, who it may be disclosed to and how it will be stored can be found in the Slashdot Media Services privacy policy available at: http://clicks.slashdot.org/ct.html?ufl=e&rtr=on&s=x8pb08,2i6uk,6q4w,cdzg,18...

You can ask us to stop processing your personal data or contacting you for marketing purposes at any time. Please contact us at sfnet_ops+removal@slashdotmedia.com.

Please let us know if you have any queries.

Yours sincerely,

Logan Abbott
The team at SourceForge Media LLCGeeknet Inc

To unsubscribe, send an email to: unsubscribe-313808@elabs10.com with the address: *****@*******.***com in the subject line.

I am totally mystified by this because googling seems to suggest that the organisations named are legitimate but I am not aware of having had ANY dealings with any of them.

Has anyone else had one of these messages?
I'm inclined to think it's some kind of scam which has used a legitimate organisation as a "cover"
Post edited at 07:55
Removed User 29 Mar 2016
In reply to FesteringSore:

Looks like you've registered for Slashdot at some point in the past with that email (or someone else has) and they are sending you the required data protection email since Sourceforge bought them. They are both real sites/entities and Slashdot was indeed sold recently.

Unfortunately /. has been shit for a few years now and it's not gonna get any better with new owners.

Just ignore the email.
OP FesteringSore 29 Mar 2016
In reply to Removed User:

> Looks like you've registered for Slashdot at some point in the past with that email (or someone else has) and they are sending you the required data protection email since Sourceforge bought them. They are both real sites/entities and Slashdot was indeed sold recently.

> Unfortunately /. has been shit for a few years now and it's not gonna get any better with new owners.

> Just ignore the email.

I've never heard of them before. Who are they/what do they do?
 JoshOvki 29 Mar 2016
I had the same email a little while back. They are a technical news site

http://slashdot.org

I stopped reading them a few years back when they had a site redesign and couldn't find a damn thing.

(Edit to fix the link)
Post edited at 08:07
abseil 29 Mar 2016

Definitely a scam IMO. I would delete it and not reply.
 john arran 29 Mar 2016

If they had a legitimate registration record from you, rather than just having bought a list of active email addresses to spam, they would have addressed you by name or by username rather than saying "Dear Site Member".
OP FesteringSore 29 Mar 2016
In reply to john arran:

> If they had a legitimate registration record from you, rather than just having bought a list of active email addresses to spam, they would have addressed you by name or by username rather than saying "Dear Site Member".

Yes, that thought did arise.
Removed User 31 Mar 2016
In reply to abseil:
> Definitely a scam IMO.

First, it's not a scam. Second, it's not asking him to do anything or give any information .. so exactly what is it you think they are trying to scam from the guy?

The email address is simply registered for Slashdot and they are updating him. I got one as well as I'm a member there too. There's no need to spread FUD when you're doing nothing more than guessing.

edit: spleling
Post edited at 10:46

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...